RARE Near Mint EarthBound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 1995)

March 15th, 2013 | EarthBound, Itoi

In a Tweet a few hours ago, an English-speaking EarthBound fan said to Shigesato Itoi:

@itoi_shigesato ENGLISH TRANSLATION PLEASE OH MY GOD

In response, Itoi asked for translation/interpretation help to get his message written into English. Basically, this is what he said:

Can someone interpret for me? It’s too much for me to handle myself.

And then he said right afterward:

My request for interpretation help just now was me saying, “Could someone please translate this into English [for them/for English speakers]?” I’d really like it [releasing the game outside of Japan] to happen someday.

Basically, the last part is him saying that he’d like an outside-of-Japan release to happen sometime. There’s not much more to it than that, but it’s been clear over these past few months that he really wants overseas fans to be able to play the game too.

I’ll continue to post more Miiverse stuff and Twitter stuff as things happen, so keep checking back here!

37 Comments to Shigesato Itoi Comments on Releasing MOTHER 2 Outside of Japan

Sato said on Mar. 15, 2013

Well, it’s great us foreign fans are starting to get attention, especially from the man himself!

Mezmerize said on Mar. 15, 2013

This made my day!

But I don’t know where the problem is. I mean it should basically ne the same as EarthBound doesn’t it?
So the texts should already exist in English language.
Or maybe it’s meant in terms of, that he needs help to convince his bosses?

Mato said on Mar. 15, 2013

Yeah, I think he’s saying it in the context of bureaucracy rather than actual translation work.

Prayer For Safety said on Mar. 15, 2013

This really gives hope that we might see a rerelease after all. Maybe Itoi can put in a good word for us, and convince Nintendo to finally give us a rerelease.

Earth Saturn said on Mar. 15, 2013

Too bad that it’s not Itoi’s decision whether or not this game gets re-released. But as Prayer For Safety said, maybe he can convince Nintendo to make it happen.

skyrunner14 said on Mar. 15, 2013

I don’t have a Wii U, but I have an uncle who does. How would one contact Itoi through an American Wii U? That way I could tell him how so he could leave a message on my behalf.

In the meantime, people should keep asking him about a U.S. release. If enough people ask him, maybe he could pull some strings?

Mato said on Mar. 15, 2013

Haha, don’t worry, pleeeenty of people are making sure he knows about fans outside of Japan 😛

Leeaux said on Mar. 15, 2013

Small victories are still victories!

GiveUp said on Mar. 15, 2013

Victories that lead to failures are the worst kind of victories.

Leeaux said on Mar. 15, 2013

Well your name is GiveUp. I wouldn’t expect much from you.

2Sang said on Mar. 15, 2013

My sundaes where are they? I think I need 3 or 4 for this one.

G.wicks said on Mar. 15, 2013

Unfortunately a lot of english speaking fans are being pretty whiny on the Mother 2 miiverse page at this point… In face there are more englishposts than Japanese ones… so I’d encourage people to post positive things, like pictures and stuff. I drew a few pictures for it already, without and english text, just a few neat characters. I think a good attitude would be more appreciated, and even if we never get the game re-released here, we can still celebrate it and share that positive energy with overseas fans.

G.wicks said on Mar. 15, 2013

*in fact

Prayer For Safety said on Mar. 15, 2013

Agreed completely. I don’t think anyone should make insults directed at Reggie or Nintendo.

64RR said on Mar. 15, 2013

Itoi just turned my day from bad to AMAZING!

ClockworkFridgeworth said on Mar. 15, 2013

At least this gives a good feeling about the future. I’m sure Itoi is able to pull through for us international fans, considering he is really good friends with Miyamoto and Iwata.
Remember guys, the only one higher up than Reggie is Satoru Iwata himself. I’m sure that if Iwata says to release a game in the U.S., Reggie would have to comply. Unless that’s actually NOT how business could work…

ClockworkFridgeworth said on Mar. 15, 2013

I mean, “not how business works”, not “could work”.

johnr754 said on Mar. 15, 2013

This easily made my day more better.

DD said on Mar. 16, 2013

This is very interesting. Too bad I don’t own a Wii U. I would have wanted to read through the posts and pictures.

Nintendork said on Mar. 16, 2013

D****t now I have to drop $300 on a Wii U! 😀

ZeroShift said on Mar. 16, 2013

Has his profile always said “Producer of EarthBound?”

misterdigi said on Mar. 16, 2013

i don’t mind dropping 300 on a wii u. it’s a completely reasonable price. no, im not swimming in money.

it truly is a strange thing thing that the creator of the game himself has to jump through hoops to get his own game released outside of japan. i know it’s not “his” game. it’s nintendos property, but still. you would think that the person who literally built the thing would have say over where it gets released.

Blueflower999 said on Mar. 16, 2013

I love Itoi. So much.

G.Wicks said on Mar. 16, 2013

Is it possible that Itoi, in his response, is not talking about interpreting the game in English, but maybe hes just saying he wishes someone could interpret for him the english dialogue on the mivverse community? Upon reading his comment the second time it kind of sounds like he’s just talking about the message board. And the “oh my god english translation” guy may be asking for the miiverse page to be in english. That seems like a simpler answer.

Mato said on Mar. 16, 2013

Yeah, it’s definitely possible. It all depends on what the English-speaking fan intended, having it in a crazy, all-caps tone makes it hard to tell though.

I’d honestly think that if he wanted English translations on the Miiverse though he’d be able to ask his friends at Nintendo to figure something out rather than plead and ask random people on Twitter.

WolfWoods said on Mar. 16, 2013

This all makes me happy.Too bad that living where I live I have to drop $600 on a WiiU,so in my personal case the best thing would be a 3DS release.

Would still be great to see it released,though!

Chivi-chivik said on Mar. 16, 2013

I want this game to be released in Europe. Europeans need to know about this wonderfulness they never got to know.

OSK said on Mar. 16, 2013

And now, my day has been made

Anonymous said on Mar. 16, 2013

I bought some ice cream, just in case.

Yomie said on Mar. 16, 2013

Guys in case you didn’t know Mother 2 was already released outside of Japan. There’s a game called earthbound (you guys probably don’t know it) that is the english version of Mother 2. So now that your all informed about this game maybe you should all stop hassling Itoi about it constantly.

Nintendork said on Mar. 17, 2013

I kove how everyone is referencing the “sundae comic”!

Anonymous said on Mar. 17, 2013

@Yomie
Yeah, we’re all aware of that. The site is CALLED “EarthBound Central.” It’s just that it now costs well over a hundred bucks to buy that thing, and some of us don’t own the SNES. We’re just all kind of upset that the MOTHER series has been getting all this red carpet treatment in Japan and nothing here. The only game to come to our shores legally was EarthBound, wheras Japan got the entire trilogy. ):

I have a coupon for ice cream. I think this is a good opportunity to use it. 😀

2sang said on Mar. 17, 2013

@yomie you troll I hate you for even making me respond. We all want all 3 games to come here. I have a copy of earthbound, but its a pain to load and I fear the battery will die out every time I save.

thelucaskid482 said on Mar. 18, 2013

It feels so good to know that my idol is looking after me and my fellow EarthBounders!!!

Sam said on Mar. 20, 2013

Even if he simply meant “I wish that could happen”, this still warms my heart knowing he cares so much about Mother/EB fans the world over. That sort of attention to others outside of Japan is so nice to see; it feels like there’s more reason to love the series.

Sam said on Mar. 20, 2013

Also, for God’s sake guys. Why would he interpret the guy to ask about the message board being in English? That’s asking the entire Japanese community to take their own messages and translate/learn English, just so those people who speak it can read it.

I think Itoi knows it’s about releasing Earthbound–he’s only gotten about a million requests on the message board about doing that.