EarthBound Price Update (Mar. 2012)
March 20th, 2013 | EarthBound
Whew, after like what, 15 hours, the video stream we were doing of MOTHER 2 on the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console is done. We didn’t finish the game, sadly, but if there’s enough demand (which I think there was, given people’s reactions at the end) then I’ll see if I can get Reid, Jack, and Jenna over again in the near future to finish off the game. Everyone else is gonna be leaving for PAX East starting tomorrow, sadly
Anyway, if you weren’t there for the stream, it was a ton of fun and the very first time I’ve ever done a stream or done anything live online, so it was a real learning experience. Some awesome stuff happened too, too much to remember it all, but a few included:
- We had like up to 250+ viewers at one point – which isn’t TOO much but when I stop to think that this was for a nearly 20-year old game bought on a Japanese system, that’s pretty crazy
- Itoi watched the stream for a little bit and even posted about it on Twitter!
- Another important MOTHER 2 staffer watched and tweeted about us!
- Both Itoi and this other guy are going to be doing a live stream of their own in a few days for about 3 hours. I wonder if they’ll talk about us!
- I died a million times! I’m sorry! I seriously never suck at this game, it’s stage fright I tell ya! In fact, we all seemed to suck at the game for whatever reason while playing for an audience…
- Everyone who played got plagued by the “inventory is full can’t proceed with the story wtf why can’t I get stuff to happen” problem.
- Marcus Lindblom, one of the head guys behind EarthBound’s localization, hung out in the chat for a long time answering lots of cool questions and chatting with us. He says Giygas is pronounced “Geegus”… YES AHA Chewy and I aren’t crazy people after all
- Jeff (of EarthBound Saga fame, among many other awesome things) announced he’s working on a documentary about the EarthBound community. Well, pre-announced really. The real announcement will come later and you can be sure I’ll post about it on EB Central later. It’s already sounding super-cool, though!
- Reid shared pictures and videos of his baby!
- My garb changed throughout the stream… I wanted to see if anyone would notice, and somehow everyone did. You guys are too observant!
- Most of the Fangamer office relocated to my living room, where they worked most of the day. If you order any necklaces and other stuff in the near future, they were most likely packaged here, during this event. You may accidentally get some of my carpet fibers, sorry!
- We had a drawing contest, but the sheer badness of my art prompted people to request more art from me. It’s pretty bad, but I had a lot of fun with it. I don’t have scans of them handy, but maybe that’s for the best!
- Chewy drove several hours on a whim to attend the event halfway through! By this point it was like the thing was an EarthBound All-Stars event, oh man! She talked about all sorts of things, including things from the MOTHER 2 novel, a little about Itoi, and more. We were hoping Itoi would catch the stream with her playing and be like “WTF it’s her!” but I dunno if that happened.
- I tried to eat pizza with one hand and play the game with the other, but quickly found out that the Wii U pad doesn’t make that easily possible since the Select button is on the wrong side
- We looked at how much better the EarthBound guide was compared to the official MOTHER 2 guide.
- Also, we looked closer at the MOTHER 2 guide and realized that the pizza delivery guy has a name (Gonzares) and that Pokey was listed with the English spelling of “Porky” way back when the game was released! Also, we might’ve found a clay model pic we never saw before, of the Mr. Saturn ATM. Crazy!
There was a lot more, but it’s getting late and I can’t remember it all. It was pretty spur-of-the-moment so it might be hard to recapture the magic again, but who knows, maybe we’ll be able to pick up where we left off and finish the game for everyone in the near future.
For the record, we found no noticeable changes between this version and the original Super Famicom version. No changes at all so far. What this means is a question for another day (possibly tomorrow!) so get your thinking caps ready!
Thanks again to everyone who came by and chatted and watched and had fun with us! It really did feel like there were 200 people there in the living room with us~
Other Related Posts:
46 Comments to MOTHER 2 VC Stream Done… For Now
Leave a reply
- Anonymous: Egh… just as long as parent groups aren’t going to treat the “sexual themes” like they did for Mass Effect. I...
- Bob: What does COD have to do with this? Or do you just like mindlessly bashing on mainstream games?
- Anonymous: EARTHBOUND SUCKS PLAY CALL OF DUTY just kidding, Call of Duty sucks
- PSIpunky: I took the daunting task of learning Japanese a few months ago due to wanting to read some Mother related things and Japan in general. It...
- Anonymouse: Well to be honest, I’m still in school and I haven’t really gotten a job yet. =P But ah… the series has made me...