Wario Ware DIY EarthBound Games
If you missed the MOTHER 2 stream I did with Reid and the Starmen.Net/Fangamer gang earlier this week, at one point we were all discussing how we first discovered the game. Someone in the chat had a really interesting story about EarthBound and allergies, so I asked him to e-mail me the story. And here it is!
saberlily said I should email you my story:
My first experience with EarthBound was a severe allergic reaction that rushed me to the hospital! I was just a kid at the time, and I remember staying up past midnight, sneakily reading my GamePro magazine under a flashlight. When I came to the page with the EarthBound scratch and sniff ad, I remember going at it without hesitation. Not long after, my tongue started to swell, and my throat closed up. I started to panic, and woke up my parents to take me to the hospital (magazine still clutched tightly in my hand), where we determined I had a reaction to the scents on the EarthBound ad!
I didn’t stay mad at EarthBound. If anything, I was more interested in trying the game than ever. It was the best advertisement they could have asked for. And now it’s a huge inspiration in my work, even to this day. However, the scent of “pizza” and master belch may have scarred me permanently
Anyway, cheers! I’m enjoying the stream!
This is actually the first time I’ve ever heard of scratch n sniff stuff causing an allergic reaction. I’m sure there’s an allergy for everything, though, so it’s not too surprising. What’s I’m really curious to know is how many other people EarthBound’s smell campaign might’ve affected in this way, and if the marketers were aware that allergic reactions were a possibility.
Has anyone else out there had allergic reactions to scratch n sniff stuff? Did EarthBound’s smell stuff make you sick or anything? If so, share your story in the comments!
Other Related Posts:
10 Comments to Literally Allergic to EarthBound’s Advertising
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues