Stephen Georg Finally Plays MOTHER 1
If you missed the MOTHER 2 stream I did with Reid and the Starmen.Net/Fangamer gang earlier this week, at one point we were all discussing how we first discovered the game. Someone in the chat had a really interesting story about EarthBound and allergies, so I asked him to e-mail me the story. And here it is!
saberlily said I should email you my story:
My first experience with EarthBound was a severe allergic reaction that rushed me to the hospital! I was just a kid at the time, and I remember staying up past midnight, sneakily reading my GamePro magazine under a flashlight. When I came to the page with the EarthBound scratch and sniff ad, I remember going at it without hesitation. Not long after, my tongue started to swell, and my throat closed up. I started to panic, and woke up my parents to take me to the hospital (magazine still clutched tightly in my hand), where we determined I had a reaction to the scents on the EarthBound ad!
I didn’t stay mad at EarthBound. If anything, I was more interested in trying the game than ever. It was the best advertisement they could have asked for. And now it’s a huge inspiration in my work, even to this day. However, the scent of “pizza” and master belch may have scarred me permanently
Anyway, cheers! I’m enjoying the stream!
This is actually the first time I’ve ever heard of scratch n sniff stuff causing an allergic reaction. I’m sure there’s an allergy for everything, though, so it’s not too surprising. What’s I’m really curious to know is how many other people EarthBound’s smell campaign might’ve affected in this way, and if the marketers were aware that allergic reactions were a possibility.
Has anyone else out there had allergic reactions to scratch n sniff stuff? Did EarthBound’s smell stuff make you sick or anything? If so, share your story in the comments!
Other Related Posts:
10 Comments to Literally Allergic to EarthBound’s Advertising
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...