Shigesato Itoi Talks About Writing
If you missed the MOTHER 2 stream I did with Reid and the Starmen.Net/Fangamer gang earlier this week, at one point we were all discussing how we first discovered the game. Someone in the chat had a really interesting story about EarthBound and allergies, so I asked him to e-mail me the story. And here it is!
saberlily said I should email you my story:
My first experience with EarthBound was a severe allergic reaction that rushed me to the hospital! I was just a kid at the time, and I remember staying up past midnight, sneakily reading my GamePro magazine under a flashlight. When I came to the page with the EarthBound scratch and sniff ad, I remember going at it without hesitation. Not long after, my tongue started to swell, and my throat closed up. I started to panic, and woke up my parents to take me to the hospital (magazine still clutched tightly in my hand), where we determined I had a reaction to the scents on the EarthBound ad!
I didn’t stay mad at EarthBound. If anything, I was more interested in trying the game than ever. It was the best advertisement they could have asked for. And now it’s a huge inspiration in my work, even to this day. However, the scent of “pizza” and master belch may have scarred me permanently
Anyway, cheers! I’m enjoying the stream!
This is actually the first time I’ve ever heard of scratch n sniff stuff causing an allergic reaction. I’m sure there’s an allergy for everything, though, so it’s not too surprising. What’s I’m really curious to know is how many other people EarthBound’s smell campaign might’ve affected in this way, and if the marketers were aware that allergic reactions were a possibility.
Has anyone else out there had allergic reactions to scratch n sniff stuff? Did EarthBound’s smell stuff make you sick or anything? If so, share your story in the comments!
Other Related Posts:
10 Comments to Literally Allergic to EarthBound’s Advertising
Featured Item on eBay:
EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...