The Completionist Completes MOTHER 3
A long while ago while working on my MOTHER 2 / EarthBound comparison stuff, I found myself accidentally missing getting a screenshot in the Lost Underworld in MOTHER 2. It would take me a looooong time to get back there, so I never got the screenshot:
I’ve been working on revamping and moving my EB comparison stuff, and I decided it was time to finally get that screenshot. But, again, it would take me forever to get there.
Then I said, “You know, it’s about time I go and figure out the debug menu codes for MOTHER 2.” That was another thing I’ve put off for years and years.
So, after doing some fiddling with code and addresses and nonsense, I’ve come up with ways to access both debug menus in MOTHER 2:
Boot-Up Debug Menu
This is the menu with the Kirby icon. To access this menu in MOTHER 2, the codes are (for a headered ROM):
What’s neat about this is that some of the options that would crash or freeze if you tried them in the EarthBound ROM work semi-properly in the MOTHER 2 ROM, which makes sense from a programming perspective. The meanings of some of the menu options are clear too, and I think there’s even one or two options that the English version didn’t have due to character incompatibility issues.
In-Game Debug Menu
Unfortunately, accessing the in-game debug menu via this boot-up menu still doesn’t work 100% properly, so I needed a way to access the in-game menu some other way. I already made a code for EarthBound that lets you access this menu using your ATM Card, so I decided to make one for MOTHER 2 too. Here’s the code for that:
To access the debug menu, “Use” the Cash Card/ATM Card as an item.
The Japanese debug menu is written in actual Japanese rather than the weird romanized Japanese that we got in the English version. It makes things a little clearer, and being able to actually make sense of things showed me something I never knew before: The very last option makes hint shops appear on all of your town maps! I didn’t even know they had programmed that in until now 😯
Before / After (note: these are actually EarthBound screenshots)
Anyway, feel free to play around with both menus and see what you can do/find! I’m just glad I finally figured out codes for them after putting it off for so, so long.
And I got the screenshot I needed too 😀
Other Related Posts:
5 Comments to How to Access the MOTHER 2 Debug Menus
- eurocard kreditkarte sperren: I keep listening to the rumor lecture about receiving free online grant applications so I have been looking around...
- Door: I think Butthurtfail meant that 10,000 dollars was too cheap for a collection this big…
- LucasTizma: a) I’ve easily spent well over $10,000 for all of that stuff, and b) as I said in the auction, I have no interest in splitting...
- Butthurtfail: $10,000.00? That price is absolutely bonkers. Sorry, guy! Auction off the handmade figures and the anthology! That’ll net you...
- Leeaux: Man what I would do to have an Earthbound collection like that! Whew!