A Peek at Some MOTHER 2 Pre-Release Differences
Earlier today I remembered that when MOTHER 2 was ported to the Game Boy Advance, Itoi didn’t make many changes to the text at all. For instance, he made the decision to leave date references alone, like 199X and having to return the library map by 2001.
That said, there WERE some slight text changes though, and one of them has to do with a baked goods seller in Burglin Park. Here’s how this line was in the Super Famicom version of MOTHER 2:
Since this is an open-air market, flies sometimes land on my stuff and give it a nice flavor.
When it was re-released in 2003 as part of MOTHER 1+2, this line was changed. Here’s what it said:
|Game Boy Advance:
These have such a nice flavor that they even attract flies.
So the question I had was: What line does the Wii U Virtual Console re-release use? Let’s take a look:
These have such a savory flavor that they even attract flies.
So the Wii U version isn’t just different than the original Super Famicom version, it’s also different than the Game Boy Advance version! What’s the deal with this line?
At any rate, this means they didn’t just slap the Super Famicom MOTHER 2 ROM as-is onto the eShop as we originally thought – they DID make changes of some sort!
Now I’m curious to know what other tiny changes there might be in the game’s text or elsewhere. Apparently the circus tent glitch still works in the Wii U version too.
The problem is I don’t know how to extract ROMs or anything from Wii Us, but if someday someone figures it out, let me know! I’d love to try to analyze and compare the Wii U version with the original Super Famicom version on a more technical level!
Also, while we’re at it, here’s a look at what EarthBound’s translation has for this Burglin Park NPC:
Interesting, it’s basically the same as in the original MOTHER 2. I wonder why it was changed starting with MOTHER 1+2.
Anyway, this also reminds me that in the next few days I’ll have finished moving my MOTHER 2 / EarthBound comparison stuff over to Legends of Localization, with a bit of a layout overhaul, some content fixes, and a few content additions. So look forward to that!
Other Related Posts:
17 Comments to A Tiny Change in Wii U MOTHER 2
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic