March 23rd, 2013 | EarthBound, Images

I saw this image on a YouTube thumbnail earlier today but didn’t know where the image actually came from:

tumblr_mjy4xzOj4m1s2z1y6o1_1280

It appears to be an actual ad for MOTHER 2 on the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console, but it seems kind of like overkill to advertise something like that. Does anyone know if this is real, and if so, where it was located? I’d love to know more!

19 Comments to A MOTHER 2 Virtual Console Billboard Ad?

johnr754 said on Mar. 23, 2013

I guess, for some reason, the Japanese are treating it very greatly since there has not been a rerelease of Mother 2/EarthBound in a decade – not counting SSBB – and there has not been any Mother-related material in Japan since 2008 – SSBB – or MOTHER 3.

This does not apply for the Americans or Europeans or Austrailians, for some reason.

I may be wrong.

santiagoff said on Mar. 23, 2013

I /think/ it’s an ad only used for Nintendo related (specifically WiiU related) news, they had one for the Google Street View application some time ago, but I haven’t been able to find info on where exactly it is :/

HpBoost said on Mar. 23, 2013

That is amazing and makes me very happy to see.

HpBoost said on Mar. 23, 2013

That is amazing and makes me very happy.

Milo said on Mar. 23, 2013

Looks like an underground train station, maybe…

Saturnome said on Mar. 23, 2013

More pics here : http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/03/20/64862.html
Appears to be in some station in Tokyo.

Cogosho said on Mar. 23, 2013

I’m glad Mother series be equally remembered than 19 years ago

Tourist said on Mar. 23, 2013

I’d love that poster. Man, these graphics they’ve been using to advertise/celebrate Mother 2’s revival have been great… athough it hurts a bit that it’s only for Japan. Bittersweet fondness…

Anonymous said on Mar. 23, 2013

Yeah these are in some train stations around Japan, saw it myself a few days ago.

Ness1985 said on Mar. 23, 2013

*sigh*

Dave said on Mar. 23, 2013

What would really make this billboard complete is if the screenshot they included was “THE” EarthBound screenshot.

misterdigi said on Mar. 23, 2013

That would be great if i saw this driving down the highway.

Anonymouse said on Mar. 23, 2013

I wonder if “THE” EarthBound shot is different from “THE” Mother 2 shot…? That is, assuming Mother 2 has a shot like that.

Stuffgamer1 said on Mar. 23, 2013

Wow…they’re actually spending MONEY to advertise a 30 yen download? I’m finding it difficult to understand their reasoning behind it…

I can’t help but wonder, though…IF Nintendo ever releases the game out West, would they bother advertising IT? Didn’t work out so well the first time, but…would it again? Honestly, they could probably rely on the fanbase to spread the word; I, for one, would blow up my Facebook page with the news. Of course, this all assumes they’ll bother with a release at all. 🙁

Anon said on Mar. 23, 2013

I assume the main point in advertising it is to advertise the Wii U itself.

VioletLinked said on Mar. 25, 2013

What does that 4.18 mean?
April 18th? Another release date perhaps?

Soulier said on Mar. 25, 2013

It’s because it’s only 30 yen from March 20 to April 18 (30 days exactly). After that it will cost more.

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2013

Actually, after that I think it’ll become unavailable for a while until the VC has its full launch later on.

neonix said on Apr. 5, 2013

Be on the lookout for this poster selling for about 80,000 yen on YAJ in the coming months :p