March 5th, 2013 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, MOTHER 1

I always really liked the little song that plays in EarthBound when you get a new party member, but I also always wondered if it was based on anything. For reference, here’s what plays when you get a new character in EarthBound:

I didn’t realize it until yesterday when I saw Mrpinci19 post something about it on the PK Hack forums, but this song actually has the MOTHER 1 “character joined” song at its core!

If you’ve forgotten, here’s what plays when you get a character in MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero:

Now, if you mute several of the sound channels in the EarthBound song, here’s what you get:

I can’t believe I never noticed that until now 😯 I wonder what other little audio things I still haven’t noticed!

27 Comments to A MOTHER 1 and MOTHER 2 Joining Discovery

VyseOfLegnds9001 said on Mar. 5, 2013

That’s cool. That makes me like mother 1 just a little bit more now.

Anne Noise said on Mar. 5, 2013

The Mother 2 “Character Get!” sound is one of my favorite ditties ever in video games, very cool connection.

Anonymous said on Mar. 5, 2013

Maybe you should do a Mother 1 and 2 music comparison thing. There are a lot of songs used in both games.

StevenXC said on Mar. 5, 2013

For those wondering but couldn’t remember offhand, Mother 3’s music for a new party member is the same as Mother 2’s. (At least for Buster the first time he joins.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y120Rbq8nX4

Ice Sage said on Mar. 5, 2013

I know people probably know about this one, but I always liked how EB’s Sanctuary music (A Flash of Memory) played a few bars from M1’s Eight Melodies after the Sound Stone records the melody.

Esper said on Mar. 5, 2013

Whoa! Awesome find! Boy do I love hearin’ musical odes to series’ prior installments. Like in Star Tropics 2, the final dungeon.

BB Gang Zombie said on Mar. 5, 2013

Wow, I thought this was common knowledge, guess not!

I always thought it was the neatest thing when games and movies take old musical cues and add or change them instead of making new songs entirely; it gives a sense that they are more connected, if even only in spirit.

gwalms said on Mar. 5, 2013

I think the EB0 remake in the Earthbound engine, should use that third music file Mato listed. 😛

joeymartin64 said on Mar. 5, 2013

Not EarthBound-related, but Final Fantasy IX’s victory fanfare has the early games’ “key item” fanfare playing along with the standard victory fanfare.

G.Wicks said on Mar. 5, 2013

I may have mentioned this before, but the game over screen music in Mother 2 (looks like you got your head handed to you) is a variation of the Flying Man theme from mother 1’s SOUNDTRACK, not the game! It’s a variation of the chorus from the album (Something something how precious life can be if you guve your heart blah blah, I truly do believe but for a moment yada yada). This melody is only on the cd, and not part of the flying man themes in mother 1 or 2.

Mrpinci19 said on Mar. 5, 2013

holy shit

Mrpinci19 said on Mar. 5, 2013

Btw I never thought that this little thing would get in earthbound central lol

thelucaskid482 said on Mar. 5, 2013

I think it’s really cool. Thanks Mrpinci19. I think it’s cool how much EarthBound took off of EarthBound “zero” in aspects like music and stuff.

thelucaskid482 said on Mar. 5, 2013

@Mrpinci19:

Also, dude, don’t sell yourself short, this was a cool find. Please just keep finding stuff like this. It’s cool!

Mrpinci19 said on Mar. 5, 2013

it’s actually fun experimenting with channels on SPCs, you can find alot of stuff 😀

Animegame97 said on Mar. 5, 2013

Has anyone else noticed that when you’re in the hot springs in Mother 3 the music is the Wess Dance song slowed down?

EBBub said on Mar. 5, 2013

😀 Awesome!

Anonymous said on Mar. 5, 2013

I love how much detail went into the series. It’s 2013 and we’re STILL finding out new stuff hidden in these games.

jinxkatty7 said on Mar. 5, 2013

Weird. Now when I hear the Earthbound Party join-thing/song I can hear the Mother 1 part just a little bit… or am I imagining things?

Anonymous said on Mar. 5, 2013

I don’t remember completely, but I think the Bus song in Mother 2 shares the bass rift from The Paradise Line.

EnnuiKing said on Mar. 6, 2013

The synth sound playing the MOTHER melody sounds really silly when isolated like that 😛

Buster The Fox said on Mar. 10, 2013

Yup. Cannot be unheard now. As one of the few veterans who has finished EB0, I can say that this is going to be very cool as I play through Earthbound next time. xD Might just name my characters after the EB0 characters.

segaman2 said on Mar. 10, 2013

I know that the item select screen in Earthbound was based off of twinkle elementary in MOTHER 1

Sunnymoon said on Mar. 12, 2013

“I always really liked the little song that plays in EarthBound when you get a new party member”

…Exactely the same, Mato.

64RR said on Mar. 12, 2013

They should have more Mother 2 music in the next Smash Bros.

flintlockdoorknob said on Mar. 30, 2013

I’ve always wanted someone to explain to me how the Volcano song from Mother 3 is so catchy. I just know it sounds like another song but I can’t place my finger on it. It’s my favourite music in the game, but it’s in such a strange place. It’s just a volcano area. There’s nothing important there. Why does it sound so good!?

I’ve heard someone say it’s a variation of Pollyanna from the previous games, and I can sort of hear it but I’m not sure?! I wish someone could explain it o me musically.

It’s been driving me nuts for literally 7 years lol.

anonymous said on Apr. 1, 2013

@flintlockdoorknob:

The volcano theme is a remix of the song that plays in Tazmily at the beginning of Chapter 4 (before Wess confronts Fassad).