MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*

February 21st, 2013 | EarthBound, Videos

A few weeks ago Nintendo announced that MOTHER 2 would get released on the Wii U Virtual Console in March. I finally went and subtitled the part of the announcement video, so here it is!

There’s nothing particularly new or special in there, but I felt it was worth translating and sharing for everyone anyway.

(On a completely separate note, I tried everything in the world to get VirtualDub to open and edit .mp4 files to no avail. Does anyone have any tips? I spent more time fighting video codecs and downloading programs than actually translating this πŸ™ )

38 Comments to Translated MOTHER 2 Revival Festival Video

Earth Saturn said on Feb. 21, 2013

It just goes to show how special this game is when it gets its own revival festival. Ain’t that awesome? πŸ™‚

Mato said on Feb. 21, 2013

Now that I think about it, I thought up this same way of giving EarthBound new life almost 14 years ago with the EarthBound Funktastic Game Play events.

RandomGuardian said on Feb. 21, 2013

I don’t know about anyone else, but I am personally excited. With such an event comes my hopes that NOA would let Itoi bring the game over seas. I would totally run out and buy a WiiU just for Earthbound. Ok, that was an exaggeration but you got the point.

blahmoomoo said on Feb. 21, 2013

I don’t think VirtualDub supports MP4, but I’m sure you could use an AviSynth script in conjunction with VirtualDub to make it work. AviSynth is basically a system that lets you write a simple script to open and manipulate video (of many different types) and passing the result to the editor or video player you opened the script with.

Mato said on Feb. 21, 2013

blahmoomoo: Yeah, I tried avisynth stuff but still no dice with VirtualDub πŸ™ In the end I had to give up and do whole thing by hand in Vegas Studio.

Anonymous said on Feb. 21, 2013

I’m so jealous. Why can’t WE get a revival festival, huh?

But in all seriousness, this is great. (Japanese) veterans of the franchise introducing people who have only seen Ness from Smash Bros to the MOTHER series… What a great idea, zoom.

mike said on Feb. 21, 2013

Douglas said on Feb. 21, 2013

Not coming out in America, therefore I don’t care. Mother has already been rereleased in Japan before.

Porky Minch said on Feb. 21, 2013

It’s good that people in Japan get to enjoy a rerelease, but what about the rest of us? It doesn’t seem fair how this is Japan only, especially since Mother 2 SFC and GBA carts arn’t even that expensive in Japan while EarthBound carts are begining to push $200.

64RR said on Feb. 21, 2013

I think its really nice to just see an event like this for mother even if it’s just in Japan.

Darien said on Feb. 21, 2013

Video editing is 100% the worst. Whenever I have to edit a video for anything, I go through the same routine of codecs and plugins and trying different pieces of software and hoping that, eventually, one or another of them will do what I need.

Mel said on Feb. 21, 2013

Revival festival? Even if not for America, I’m happy to see this. c:

Thedreaminghawk said on Feb. 21, 2013

EVERY wii VC game that’s previously seen a NA release that comes to japan has ALWAYS come here, so I don’t think we should worry about this not coming sooner or later, after all; US wii U systems CAN Post on Japanese miiverse communities, so next month we can just go to the Mother 2 Miiverse and post our thoughts. Since Itoi is supposed to be posting on the Mother 2 miiverse, he WILL be seeing our posts no matter what.

thelucaskid482 said on Feb. 21, 2013

I’m happy to see that there having a revival festival for three reasons:
1.) The publicity will be good for the game, so EarthBound will get a bunch of new fans
2.) A whole new generation will be exposed to it and I’m happy they’ll get to enjoy the greatest game of all time
3.) If it sells well(and if NOA is feeling particularly forgiving), we might have it released for the Wii U over here… In which case I would-unlike you RandomGuardian- run to my nearest GameStop and buy a Wii U solely for the purpose of getting EarthBound

GiveUp said on Feb. 21, 2013

@Thedreaminghawk

Are you willing to bet money on this? I would bet $500 that this is not coming over.

The worst part is, when they don’t release it, you’ll go into hiding, just like all the cretins that screamed that Mother 3 would come out any day.

Neko Knight said on Feb. 21, 2013

If you don’t mind my asking Tomato, what does it say in Japanese next to the MOTHER 2 logo? I can’t read it because it’s dosei-san gibberish.

Ness1985 said on Feb. 21, 2013

It’s reason like this why I pirate yer games Nintendo.

Mato said on Feb. 21, 2013

Neko Knight: It says “Revival Festival”

2Sang said on Feb. 21, 2013

Well, nintendo doesn’t want me to make it rain at gamestop or the eshop I guess.

Vince said on Feb. 21, 2013

I wonder if we’ll be able to post in the Mother 2 Miiverse community…I don’t have a Wii U, so I don’t know if we have access to the Japanese side of things, but I bet that would be a good way to get attention.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Feb. 21, 2013

Cool! A revival festival! From the first 20 seconds it seems that Iwata (who helped save EarthBound from vapourware status – but just barely) is very…h…a…p…p…y…to host this event on Miiverse. It helps that the Japanese who have played Mother 2 seem to really like it, so it should be inspiring for some people.

(I might rant soon in this very page. Just a heads up!)

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Feb. 21, 2013

A well-intended (but most probably angry) response to people who are complaining about Earthbound not coming to the American Virtual Console:

I wouldn’t worry about EarthBound not coming over to America. You see, a game like EarthBound would not appeal to the majority of the current audience: even without the grossing out ads, the screenshots of the simple graphics, the plot to stop an alien…I’m guessing that the current American audience has grown out of that, and are more interested in more social and multiplayer games. (And don’t get started with Mother 3 – the ESRB would have a field day with that!)

Even if the creation of a community like Starmen dot net did raise the awareness of the Mother series, there are still many millions of people who do not know or care about this game. It’s sad, too – (cue sub-rant) EarthBound is a really polished game; it’s hilarious, it has a brilliant mood-swinger of a soundtrack, it has many subtle details that just make you smile when you find them, it’s set in a stereotypical modern American setting with wacky people and extraterrestrials, and it got the awesome translation it so deserved (although there were a few mishaps). I bet that most people who would ignore this game would actually like it if they played it thoroughly. A new generation in Japan at least has the chance to play EarthBound, and I know that most people here would hope that they take full advantage of that chance.

In short, my opinion is that the majority of Americans are going to prejudice and bypass a game which would otherwise have an impact on them, even if it is so insignificant. And the majority of the other people who would want to play this game on the Virtual Console have pretty much given up hope and would much rather play EarthBound on an emulator for initial and future playthroughs. People like me. I mean, why would we dish out $300 for a Wii U and additional money for some VC currency just to play a game which is pretty much “outdated” (if you will) by today’s standards? That’s ridiculous. You might as well go on eBay, which is what people seem to be attempting to avoid.

M3FTW said on Feb. 21, 2013

@Opinionated Vector Chimera
I don’t care if “most people” will bypass the game, I’d just like an opportunity to play the game on hardware which runs it as close to the way it was intended. Virtual Console (ignoring the 50hZ issues of late) is just that. There’s nothing wrong with this desire.

On top of this, we don’t know that we’re never getting it. Nintendo has never said this, and for good reason: something may change in the future, and Nintendo would be better off to say things like “not at this moment” because of that. Itoi has realized rather recently how much these games have impacted the world. He’s realized that in some ways, this is bigger than him, which lead him to work on getting Mother 2 on VC for Japan. Let’s wait to see if there’s changes. As far as I know, the issues with songs in the US were issues in Japan as well, so if it manages to be released with some slight changes, we can probably expect Nintendo to roll out the game in other areas after.

While it might seem egotistical and Western-centric to say this, there would be no Mother 2 on the Japan VC if it weren’t for Starmen.net and American and European fans. Because of that, it seems only logical that they too would see a part of this “Mother Republishing.”

Mazza said on Feb. 21, 2013

I hope they have a revival for the 1st game too

nintendofreak said on Feb. 22, 2013

“SHOT THROUGH THE HEART”
it killed me when he said about bridging the generation gap, and new people to experience mother 2

Kurau said on Feb. 22, 2013

Is there any confirmation or thoughts about what this means for USA players? Does this give us hope, or is it strictly and confirmed JP-only?

Tourist said on Feb. 22, 2013

No way of knowing until we see the japanese release and if it has any edits.

Mato, will we (overseas) be able to find out if Mother 2 VC has any edits? I mean, will there be anybody in Japan who will give a hoot to let us know?

MilesFoxwell said on Feb. 22, 2013

Still waiting for Mother 4 for.

Metal202 said on Feb. 22, 2013

What do you think of this whole situation Tomoato? Do you think that because of NOA lawyers Nintendo of Japan want to bother releasing the games again outside of Japan or do you think NOA knows of Earthbounds HUGE cult following and are fixing the legal issues that plagued the game from being released on the original wii?

Sillik said on Feb. 22, 2013

Avidemux can edit and save mp4s. It’s similar to VirtualDub.

Mato said on Feb. 22, 2013

Metal202: Right now it’s just a “let’s wait and see” sort of deal. If changes were made to the game for the Japanese release, then that will make things look promising for a release elsewhere.

Max_H said on Feb. 22, 2013

I’m at the point where I don’t really think it would be worth the money to buy a Wii U just for EarthBound, even if they re-released it. There’s not enough on the new console to justify the purchase. American MOTHER fans have “bombarded” Nintendo for the past decade and nothing (so far, at least) has come of it. For me personally, it would feel like Stockholm Syndrome to give them almost $400 now so I could purchase a game I’ve played countless times already using various means (including an SNES when I was ten years old).

johnr754 said on Feb. 22, 2013

To be honest, even though I am angry still for Mother 2 not getting rerelased in America (and being replaced with, of all things, Punch Out!), but at least it’s not Mother 1+2. Right, right?

Supernesster895 said on Feb. 23, 2013

Ugh… How hard is it to learn Japanese mato? I have a feeling I’ll never get to play this game in English….

Blue Toad said on Feb. 23, 2013

This was the only reason I bought a Wii U. now my dreams are crushed… AGAIN!

Giygas said on Feb. 23, 2013

The saddest part is that most Japanese fans don’t even know that us English MOTHER fans Exist much less know that the game isn’t being releases in North America. I wonder if Itoi knows we were left in the dark again… Would anyone even care… Would he even care…
Itoi….. …come… b… a… c…k… …
… I’m so sad… …Itoi
ITOI! Ah, Grrr, Ohhh… Argh… Yaaagh!… It’s not right… not right…
not right…

Cory B. said on Feb. 23, 2013

AMERICA!!! AMERICA!!! AMERICA!!!
Why won’t Nintendo Just release EarthBound in America!

nessgeek said on Feb. 26, 2013

Something tells me it will be like the Op Rainfall deal. NOA will watch the sales of the game in the country that it is being released there and decide from there if they will localize the title. Like Tomato said, it’s a wait and see sort of thing.

Don’t write off EB as not coming to America at all, we can’t conclude that yet. I’m pretty sure NOA is aware of the positive aspects of releasing the game. You get both console and portable gameplay out of it like many other Wii U software titles.