Mr. Saturn for Breakfast!
For a while now a fan by the name of Hagen has been working on a hack of EarthBound to undo a lot of the changes in the localization, much of which is based on my comparison of the Japanese and North American versions here. Anyway, Hagen asked me yesterday about something that might be interesting to share.
At the end of the game, the Stoic Club is replaced by a different type of establishment. In EarthBound, it’s a truck stop (on the beach in Summers? okay…) but in MOTHER 2 it’s a cheap bar. This isn’t really anything new, but I thought I’d share what the MOTHER 2 text says when you call the place:
Hey! Thanks for callin’! This is the cheap drinking spot “Lunatics for Life”!
What’s that? Stoic Club? I shut down that no-fun joint long ago.
Now I’m runnin a “cheap, tasty, noisy” drinking spot.
I don’t got time for long phone calls.
Hi there! Come on in!
(Click beep beep)
It’s a very rough, done-on-the-spot translation and the name of the place doesn’t translate very well at all, but I thought it’d be neat to share anyway!
Other Related Posts:
13 Comments to The Other Bar in MOTHER 2
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic
- James: Not to be that guy, buuuuuut–“fan-uh-t ic.” I guess someone over at Fangamer had a little brain fart. THAT SAID, I’m...