Checking out Japanese Arcades
For a while now a fan by the name of Hagen has been working on a hack of EarthBound to undo a lot of the changes in the localization, much of which is based on my comparison of the Japanese and North American versions here. Anyway, Hagen asked me yesterday about something that might be interesting to share.
At the end of the game, the Stoic Club is replaced by a different type of establishment. In EarthBound, it’s a truck stop (on the beach in Summers? okay…) but in MOTHER 2 it’s a cheap bar. This isn’t really anything new, but I thought I’d share what the MOTHER 2 text says when you call the place:
Hey! Thanks for callin’! This is the cheap drinking spot “Lunatics for Life”!
What’s that? Stoic Club? I shut down that no-fun joint long ago.
Now I’m runnin a “cheap, tasty, noisy” drinking spot.
I don’t got time for long phone calls.
Hi there! Come on in!
(Click beep beep)
It’s a very rough, done-on-the-spot translation and the name of the place doesn’t translate very well at all, but I thought it’d be neat to share anyway!
Other Related Posts:
13 Comments to The Other Bar in MOTHER 2
Featured Item on eBay:
EarthBound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 1995) SNES - Authentic -
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues