February 14th, 2013 | EarthBound, Fan Games

About a week and a half ago the guys at Fangamer were like, “Hey, Valentine’s Day is coming up. We should do a podcast about love sims.”

And then the discussion turned to, “Hey, we should make our own love sim.”

And then I was like, “Hey, I know how to program games.”

And after a few days of hard work by lots of folks, the game is complete! Behold: Sweet 33!

Now, why am I posting about this on an EarthBound site, you might be asking yourself. Well, as the programmer and one of the designers, it was only natural that the game ended up with lots of EarthBound influences! In the end, it’s a weird mixture of love sim, Zelda, and EarthBound. Actually, it’s interesting how much EarthBound seeps into everything I work on. I guess… that’s just how inspirational it was!

Anyway, it’s just a silly little game, but I hope people will enjoy it. You can get it here. Right now it’s Windows-only, but I’d like to make a Mac port in the near future. I just need to actually get my hands on a Mac first. (Anyone know where to get one for cheap?)

Working on this tiny game’s given me a renewed appreciation for the work that fans put into fan games and the like – I can’t imagine the amount of work that’s gone into something like the Mother 4 fangame or the fan-made Metroid 2 remake. You guys all be crazy!

(P.S. I’m a secret character in the game)

47 Comments to Sweet 33 & EarthBound Inspirations

Krennthief said on Feb. 14, 2013

Ooh! A Mac port would be awesome! But unfortunately, they are more expensive than a hippie’s toothbrush (assuming a hippie’s toothbrush is made of pure gold and diamonds).

Leeaux said on Feb. 14, 2013

Mato, I will play this. I will play this now.

DS Piron said on Feb. 14, 2013

Did you intend the pictures to link to themselves, so people can see them at full size?

Currently they are all links to the title screen picture.

: )

Tonch said on Feb. 14, 2013

“Anyone know where to get one for cheap?”

I think you’re doomed from the start there, unfortunately.

Leeaux said on Feb. 14, 2013

Atually Mato, my setup gets to the “Verifying Application Requirements” and won’t move past it. It errors out and says

“Cannot download the application. The application is missing required files. Contact application vendor for assistance.”

Leeaux said on Feb. 14, 2013

I figured it out, haha, thanks!

Esper said on Feb. 14, 2013

looks like The Legend of Boop, love edition! So downloading this.

ShadowX said on Feb. 14, 2013

Haha, I had no idea something like this was being worked on. I can’t wait to see this in action.

And yes, all the things!

Radiostorm said on Feb. 14, 2013

University students get a small discount on Apple products, so if you have a friend or relative of that age, get them to buy one for you. Asides from that, Macs sell at a fixed price, and it’s unlikely you’ll ever land a deal on one.

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 14, 2013

Is this like one of those Japanese love sims that get real dirty at the end?

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2013

Nah, it’s not one of then naughty games, it’s just goofy fun.

Naughty Crow said on Feb. 14, 2013

Awww, maaannn!

*ecchi dreams of Chewy shattered*

Mrs. Saturn said on Feb. 14, 2013

This looks awesome! I can’t wait to play :D

Karadom said on Feb. 14, 2013

That feel when Reid-Sempai will never notice you.

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2013

“Hmm, I wonder how much Macs really do cost. I’ll check it out.”

(Checks an online store)

“Uhh, yikes. Maybe I’ll just hope for a cheapo Mac laptop…?”

(Checks again)

“Oh god”

DelectaBit said on Feb. 14, 2013

Do you think you might be able to borrow one from someone to do the Mac version?

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2013

Yeah, that’s the current plan. I might try it over the weekend but it’s hard to say for sure yet. So busy every day!

ATI Radeon X1270 said on Feb. 14, 2013

I don’t know if this is the right place to ask, but after installing and downloading and installing I get

“No suitable graphics card found”
“Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework HiDef profile”

Any tips?

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2013

For now I have this:

It should work for you – just don’t use full screen mode or it might die and destroy the planet.

SomeUser said on Feb. 14, 2013

Oh, hey, this looks like that stabby game you were working on

G.Wicks said on Feb. 14, 2013

Great game. I LOLed until I ROFLed.

ATI Radeon X1270 said on Feb. 14, 2013

That reach got me farther… I got to see the first screen

“Presented by Fangamer” *bading!*
then “Sweet 33 has stopped working”

I guess this game is too sweet for my PC :P

a0i0 said on Feb. 15, 2013

You can get PowerPC Macs (before Apple made the transition to Intel) for pretty cheap on places like eBay, but keep in mind the last PPC Mac was made around 2005, so they’re pretty old. Some of them can run up to Mac OS X v10.5 though (the current version of OS X is 10.8), so anything you compile on a Mac running that should work on both PPC and Intel Macs. If I remember correctly, OS X v10.8 completely nixes support for compiling Universal binaries (binaries that run on both Intel and PPC), so if you compile it there, it will only run on Intel Macs.

PowerPC Macs capable of running Mac OS X v10.5 are any with either a G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor, or any G5 processor and at least 512 MiB of RAM.

More info here:

and here for a listing of all G4 and G5 models:

Stan said on Feb. 15, 2013

How about a Linux port. Linux is cheap and will run on whatever you have right now. . .

BusterTheFox said on Feb. 15, 2013

@ ATI Radeon: I get that with Mato’s other games, too. I guess my computer is just too fail. Why can’t computer’s cost less or I get payed more…? Hmm. Dilemmas of life.

I’ll give it a try anyway, can’t hurt nothin’. Although Legend of Boop and Shark Ghost Eater both gave me the same error, so if this is programmed the same way I guess I’m gonna have to wait on this, too. Shame, it’s really looks super-fun. D:

a0i0 said on Feb. 15, 2013

Oh yes, the other option would be to try to make a PC you already have into a Hackintosh, although this option could be a lot of work depending on your hardware.

See:

a0i0 said on Feb. 15, 2013

Another option I forgot to mention is buying a refurbished Mac from Apple. The refurbished models they sell are generally newer ones (up to around 3 years old) and are usually discounted around $100 or more.

See:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac (US Store)

Also see:

Jeff said on Feb. 15, 2013

I’m excited to try it.

Just FYI, Chrome is warning of possible malware.

http://i.imgur.com/lBfq6xI.jpg (The page displayed is the “Learn More” link when you click on options for the warning)

You can still download the file, but the warning is kind of scary.

LuigiBlood said on Feb. 15, 2013

Try cross-compiling for Mac (and Linux if you feel like it) from Windows.

skyrunner14 said on Feb. 15, 2013

I got all the endings, it’s a great game! I haven’t found you yet, Tomato. I think I found your hiding place… but haven’t found you. Any hints?

Mato said on Feb. 15, 2013

Thanks for the Mac tips, guys. I’ll look into it in more detail over the weekend.

LuigiBlood: I would if I could :(

As for Linux, that’s something I’ve had in mind too, it’s just that it was a super rush just to get the Windows version ready by the deadline.

BusterTheFox: Try the alternate version I posted on the official site, it might work for you.

skyrunner14: Well, if you think you found my hiding place, I’m sure you’re on the right track – just keep exploring!

Vince said on Feb. 15, 2013

I downloaded the normal version, but after the installer finished it said that my GFX card was too old and quit. It didn’t look like anything had been installed, there wasn’t a desktop shortcut and nothing looked different in my Program Files folder. So, I downloaded the alternate version from the website and tried to install it, but it said that it was already installed. Is there some kind of uninstaller thing to fix this?

Mato said on Feb. 15, 2013

I think it should be in the list of programs you can uninstall from the Windows control panel.

Vince said on Feb. 15, 2013

Thanks!

phree said on Feb. 15, 2013

Aaaaand… Linux?

Mariotti said on Feb. 15, 2013

OH….. It looks like so much fun! Too bad my computer doesn’t have the right Flash Drive (I think that’s what it said) to run it. ):

skyrunner14 said on Feb. 15, 2013

I finally found you Tomato! Gotta say, that was… well, it was something. Definitely a thing. Great Easter egg!

Mato said on Feb. 15, 2013

Haha, glad you liked that part – it’s definitely… different. I wanted to make something that was like with old NES games and there’d be some ridiculous way to access a cheat or secret that you might usually only hear from other kids at school or in Nintendo Power or something.

Also, it’s not a huge deal, but I think some people might not realize all that happens after meeting me.

skyrunner14 said on Feb. 15, 2013

Yeah, and some parts were kind of creepy, like that static area and the two screaming skulls? Just what was up with that? I jumped outta my chair when I found those!

MotherFan said on Feb. 16, 2013

About the game… Whenever I try to go onto the full screen mode it never works. Do you know why that would be? I’m playing on the version for slower computers, but I don’t think that would be the problem…

Mato said on Feb. 16, 2013

That version isn’t for slower computers, it’s for computers with older graphics cards. I had to disable fullscreen mode for that particular version because that’s one of the things that caused problems for older graphics cards. I’m looking into how to fix the problem, but it’s all a big learning experience for me still.

MotherFan said on Feb. 16, 2013

Oh, Ok. Thanks!

NickelDime said on Feb. 24, 2013

This is now my favorite Love-Sim game ever. Not that I have played any others though. XD

Oh, and I found the Twins wearing dresses occasoinally. I keep trying to propose to them!

“Perhaps dogs shouldn’t wear pants on airplanes.”

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Feb. 25, 2013

Oh, Mato, EarthBound seeps onto anything and everything you do, such as that Bahamut Lagoon fan translation (you mentioned EB references on a readme on your site).

boundearth said on Mar. 1, 2013

Was this made with C++? Anyway, this is fun little game! Good job guys!

Mato said on Mar. 1, 2013

It’s written in C#. Glad you liked it!

Mato said on Mar. 14, 2013

Oops, I guess I forgot to mention I made a Mac port of this a few weeks back. I also updated the Windows version to work properly on more computers and hardware configurations.