February 6th, 2013 | Hacking, MOTHER 1

Over the past months/years I’ve posted a lot of the maps people were making for the MOTHER 1 remake hack, but there wasn’t much else to show besides those.

Well, H.S recently posted some screenshots of the game in action!

M1001 M1002

M1003 M1004

M1005 M1006

M1007 M1008

From my own experience trying to make a remake hack, adding the NPCs was pretty simple and one of the more fun parts. It also looks like they’re using my script from my MOTHER 1+2 translation! It looks cool to see it living in a different form.

Anyway, if you want more details and updates as they happen, check out the forum thread here!

37 Comments to MOTHER Remake Hack Screenshots

nintendofreak said on Feb. 6, 2013

OHHHHH MY GOD

thats gorgeous

Alex Foffano said on Feb. 6, 2013

The more I see this, the more I want to play!

man said on Feb. 6, 2013

So happy see see Mother 1 getting the treatment it deserves, from this and the 1+2 patch.

Greg said on Feb. 6, 2013

This is going to be amazing

Jdaster64 said on Feb. 6, 2013

Do want. Excited about how far this has come.

TragicManner said on Feb. 6, 2013

I’m excited to see how much the EarthBound ROM was modified to make this. While I know the natural answer is “a lot”, I’m curious if this is all being done with CoilSnake or something similar. If so, it would be interesting to see of something like CCScriptWriter could dump the text and allow for localized versions, haha.

Anyways, very, very cool work. It looks incredible!

Halloween said on Feb. 6, 2013

Kinda excited for this, seems to be moving along. I hope the person/team continues to work hard and never gives up!

gwalms said on Feb. 6, 2013

So, Mato, now that the hard part (doing the maps) is done, you gonna start working on this project with them? lol

Mato said on Feb. 6, 2013

I wish I could, but I don’t have time and it sounds like they got all the super skills they need.

G.Wicks said on Feb. 6, 2013

I love all the palette changes. It really looks more colorful than EB. H.S.’s work is phenomenal.

Anonymous said on Feb. 6, 2013

Man that looks really great. I’m definately looking foward to playing this when it’s done.

joeymartin64 said on Feb. 6, 2013

I see they forewent using EarthBound’s built-in text system and made a new one from scratch. Considering how nightmarish Tomato has shown the built-in one to be, that alone probably saves the project a pretty significant amount of time.

Mato said on Feb. 6, 2013

Actually, EarthBound’s text/window system is extremely versatile, so all they did was make some custom windows with custom sizes/locations.

Buster The Fox said on Feb. 6, 2013

Actually, I’m not so sure they made a new one. They just edited it to make it look different. But I don’t really know that for sure.

The Mother 1+2 patch made the game much more playable for me. This’ll take it to the next level. Can’t wait! Next, we need to remake Mother 3 using Earthbound’s ROM… Haha.

Worship said on Feb. 6, 2013

Coming along nicely

Alexis said on Feb. 7, 2013

Heyy !! It’s so much more colourful and vibrant. It really looks nice! I can’t wait to play this, no matter how many years down the road it is. I’ve waited longer for things, so I can wait for this…

Sean said on Feb. 7, 2013

This looks amazing. I’m debating either to play through Mother 1 now or wait for this.

Ness1985 said on Feb. 7, 2013

Man, looks awesome. But is it really gonna take another 2 years to complete it?

joeymartin64 said on Feb. 7, 2013

So they’re still dealing with the mess you went over here: http://earthboundcentral.com/2011/04/a-look-at-the-mother-2-side/ ? That’s pretty hardcore.

Mato said on Feb. 7, 2013

Well, the luxury of this being a hack and not a translation is that they can just overwrite existing text data without caring what was originally there. To do a translation, you’d actually have to carefully extract the existing data, translate, reformat, relocate, and pray that nothing breaks.

Pokey Means Business said on Feb. 7, 2013

So, how much of this hack is completed? :o

Jeff Shot First said on Feb. 7, 2013

I’ve never liked Mother because of the cruddy 8-bit graphics. Can’t WAIT to try out this baby! Mother might make a serious comeback in the fan-community!

nessgeek said on Feb. 7, 2013

I actually like mother 1 the most to be honest

EBisumaru said on Feb. 8, 2013

Looks to me like Mato’s estimate might be a little on the high end. After the maps and the text, all that’s needed is the enemies and a good amount of testing. Could be somewhere closer to 6-9 months. Of course, balancing the game may be a lot more trouble than I’m realizing. But hey, get excited! It looks like at this point there’s enough steam to finish it out, barring any kind of “bus factor” incident.

Crav said on Feb. 8, 2013

Well, there’s also scripting the game events and adding in the items.
The game is going to need to be completely rebalanced too, since the stats don’t translate one for one, and even if they did, the battle system is different enough with the addition of the rolling HP meters, overworld spawn points for enemies, and significantly smaller maps. Setting up the different battle formations is going to be a big one too.
Plus a lot of other odds and ends beyond that.

Mill said on Feb. 8, 2013

This remake already looks way less like an empty wasteland than Mother 1. Looks fantastic!

G.Wicks said on Feb. 11, 2013

Man, I didnt know so many people disliked Mother’s large overworld and bland graphics. I loved it. Then again, when I was a kid, I though Dragon Warrior was exciting…

Anonymous said on Feb. 11, 2013

G.Wicks I’m definitely with you on the graphics. This hack looks incredible and I’m always happy to see updates on it but for me the original will always be the definitive version. I can absolutely understand why people don’t like the large overworld, but for me it provides a wonderful sense of adventure, just getting lost in little corners of rural America. Despite the size of the map, it always feels very humble.

I’ve always kind of gotten the opposite feeling from EB’s graphics: big world presented to always make you feel at home. It’ll be interesting to play this and see how the facelift affects the ambience.

Anonymous said on Feb. 12, 2013

I get a bad feeling that someone shady is going to try to sell this on cart for profit…

kenisu said on Feb. 12, 2013

@ G.Wicks

Consider yourself lucky O_o I’ve been encountering MOTHER 1 hate-fests left and right over the past few years.

I hate to sound less-than-thick-skinned, but man does it hurt when people gang up and flame the living daylights out of something so wonderfully personal to me. I wish I had the frame of mind to produce an intelligent counter-argument in those settings, but I’m always afraid my passion will get the better of me and I’ll wind up blowing up on everyone, and hurting my case in the process.

Mr Hargett said on Feb. 12, 2013

I’ll say I’m no fan of the graphics of Mother 1, but I would never try to make anybody feel the game is inferior.

For its era, and what it tried to accomplish, it was enormous, I just hate that they were limited by color palettes on the NES.

However, either way, it’s just a preference.

David B. said on Feb. 12, 2013

Wow… Any idea when a patch for this will be released?

Kobe The Human said on Feb. 12, 2013

Are you guys going to fix the game mechanics up to par with Mother 2 and 3? It could really use an auto-win feature or the ability to see your enemies before you battle.

UbaNess said on Feb. 14, 2013

WANT!!!

In fact I’d probably pay ridiculous amounts of money for someone to put 1, 2, and 3 onto an original snes cart. Remake for 1, original American for 2, and fan translation for 3.

EBisumaru said on Feb. 19, 2013

Dear Kobe The Human:

You may have figured this out already, but this is using the EarthBound engine, so there will be auto-wins and enemies outside battle, and all other Super EarthBound Tacos, including maybe even the Camera dude.

Cam said on Aug. 19, 2013

Isn’t the BB Gang called the Bla Bla Gang?

Cam said on Aug. 19, 2013

Never mind, that’s in the American version. Sorry.