Another EarthBound / EarthBound Zero Theory
For years I’ve heard of a bug in MOTHER 1 that lets you keep EVE the robot permanently in your party, but I never really looked into it. Luckily, BBGangZombie’s investigated it and made a video about it!
Apparently the bug only occurs in the Famicom version of the game, not in EarthBound Zero or MOTHER 1+2.
You basically just use the Flea Bag on R7038XX, which makes it so it can’t hit hard enough to kill EVE as originally intended. There’s also a thing in the game where if a game drags on for 255+ turns, it’ll automatically say something like, “The battle dragged on.” and then end the battle. So now that the R7038XX battle will last that long, you can get kicked out of battle with EVE still alive!
After the battle ends, it still acts like EVE has exploded and lets you get the melody from EVE’s wreckage, but you’ll still have EVE in your party too. Cool!
This trick can also be used to skip losing Teddy, although that seems to result in permanent invisibility. This trick also causes other weird text and graphical glitches, which isn’t surprising – check out the dance at the Live House in the video, for example 😛
So now you know one of the secret tricks in MOTHER that only Japanese fans really knew about until now!
Other Related Posts:
18 Comments to MOTHER 1 Trick: Keep EVE Permanently
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues