February 28th, 2013 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 3

Somehow or other I stumbled upon what seems to be a rendition of the Natural Killer Cyborg battle music from MOTHER 3 as used in a Super Mario World hack. It’s got a slightly different feel to it since it uses different instrument samples, but I really like it a lot:

I wonder what the response would’ve been if this song had actually been in Super Mario World or some other Super NES game back then. I bet it’d be in lots of top 10 lists nowadays!

13 Comments to Mario World-Style NK Cyborg Song

man said on Feb. 28, 2013

It’s cool. I’d love to see covers of some of the more rockin’ Mother tracks in a heavy-metal Genesis style too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peJL5J6QMLU

wvlfpvp said on Feb. 28, 2013

Dear god please no Genesis-style rock covers.

There’s too much of that already that is awful thanks to what happened when Americans started making music for that system: muddy crap.

Erikku8 said on Feb. 28, 2013

Did the Super Mario World team sample police sirens perchance? This song has that kind of sound in it.

Jdaster64 said on Feb. 28, 2013

Reminds me of a really nice SMW port of the desert theme in Mother 3 that someone did; I don’t have a link, but it appears fairly frequently in Super Mario Infinity 2.

The Super Mario World soundfont sounded great on the desert theme, but it just can’t do rock tracks like this justice, in my opinion.

kenisu said on Feb. 28, 2013

Sounds amazing! Seems to me that a lot of the sound samples came from the “instruments” used for the final battle against Bowser.

thelucaskid482 said on Feb. 28, 2013

I have SMW and honestly, this sounds nothing like anything that would be in that game. MAYBE it MIGHT work in one of the boss fights (maybe the Vanilla Dome Boos if anything), but to me it sounds more like one of the boss fights in Super Metroid (which is another awesome SNES game that I have). I mean, I could totally hear the roaring of Kraid, or the screeching of Crocmire in the background of this music. Can’t you?

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Feb. 28, 2013

This sounds awesome, but I don’t see where it could fit in the game.

Then again, this is SMW hacking we’re talking about. Nothing is impossible anymore.

gwalms said on Mar. 1, 2013

Sounds like something from a SNES Mega Man X game.

man said on Mar. 1, 2013

@wvlfpvp Then… don’t create the covers in an American style?

It’s true that the GEMS driver, commonly used by American developers such as EA and Virgin, did sully the name of the YM2612. The majority of Japanese developed titles used superior drivers which produced great sound that can only come from FM synthesis.

Mel said on Mar. 1, 2013

I kind of like this one better tha-

*gunshot*

Anonymous said on Mar. 1, 2013

It doesn’t sound like they used the instruments from SMW for this song. They probably imported samples from other SNES games and inserted them into Super Mario World.

Buster The Fox said on Mar. 2, 2013

@Mel: I think I know what you were trying to say, and, actually…
>_>
<_<

I have to say I kinda agree wi-

*gunshot*