February 11th, 2013 | MOTHER 1

A few months ago I posted some screenplay-related things by a fellow named Seth (see here). He’s been working on a few different projects, including one that tackles the MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero story. Check out his latest version here:

He has music and notes to go along with all of it, but I’ll let him go over those in the comments instead. You can also check out this project and his other ones here.

14 Comments to EB Origins Screenplay Update

Zack4812 said on Feb. 11, 2013

EarthBound Origins… That sounds better than Earthbound Zero! :D

Vince said on Feb. 11, 2013

This is looking amazing so far!

Seth Campbell said on Feb. 11, 2013

SOUNDTRACK

Pride of the Prairie:

I Am the Edison Phonograph:

In the Good Old Summer Time:

School Days:

The Eight Melodies:

Auld Lang Syne:

George’s Funeral:

Queen Mary’s Castle:

NOTES

I put Podunk in Georgia because my father’s family is from them.

I got the name for George and Maria’s son (John) from the prologue to a MOTHER 1 fan comic on starmen.net

Phil Kirby is both another nod to Phil Sandhop and also a reference to the Kirby series, created by Hal Labs which helped in coding MOTHER 2.

Frank Sanderson is just two names I thought went well together. (also possibly a reference to the name “Mr. Sanders” etched atop Winnie the Pooh’s doorframe, I don’t really know ’cause my mind goes EVERYWHERE)

Yes George smokes. It was 1908. Everyone smoked.

If you read very carefully, you’ll noticed I referenced a Lady Antebellum song. The clock reads 1:15 (a quarter after one) and George says he’s still “a little drunk”.

George’s horse (Snowy) is named after a character from the webcomic Slightly Damned.

The post rate is correct. I checked.

Yes, Hugo is related to Lloyd and Jeff, at least in THIS continuity. reminder: in MY continuity, EarthBound Zero happened in 1969.

Emil Roberts is an homage to chuggaaconroy.

Vitagraph was a Brooklyn based film company that was around during the turn of the century. They were bought out by Warner Brothers in the ’20s.

Yes I put in a Wilhelm Scream. I had to.

I gave George a temper on purpose. It makes him more relatable.

Yes there’s a Super Sentai reference, I was bored.

I got the name “Stark” from Mr. Itoi himself. His given name (Shigesato) consists of two kanji. the first one alose loosely translates to “hard” and the German word for that is “Stark”. Ryman was my great-grandmother’s maiden name.

Yes, “dude” was a word commonly used at the time.

Hugo and Phil’s horses (Luna and Ringo) are references to My Little Pony and The Beatles.

Garth is a reference to Wayne’s World.

The distance from Ceres to Eatyh is accurate for the date and time. I checked. a lot.

Seth Campbell said on Feb. 11, 2013

The Link for Queen Mary’s Castle isn’t working, don’t know why.

PiePusher11 said on Feb. 11, 2013

Copy and paste the URL. The link as is doesn’t include the .mp3, for some reason. It works fine when you do it that way.

Seth Campbell said on Feb. 11, 2013

…weird.

HpBoost said on Feb. 11, 2013

So, when do we get to audition for roles? ;D

Co-Wink-Key-Dink inc said on Feb. 11, 2013

I skimmed through it, I looked interesting and more of a character story entirely focusing on George than anyone else, but character stories are ok.
It’s not like a adventure movie like anyone would have thought, but how adventurous you can go in cities anyway? :)
It was a nice dare you did, and I think it will work! :D

Chris1212 said on Feb. 11, 2013

The whole script and everything is so well done. I may not be a expert critic on writing, but I really enjoyed the effort put into this. I really found the last 3 pages to be really sad. But nonetheless, I think this fits well for the origins of George and Maria, even to Mother 1.

Apple Kid said on Feb. 12, 2013

Very well done, much, much better than the Earthbound screenplay. I only have two nitpicks, one being the cigarettes. I’m not going to pretend to be a genius here, but I think (based off of a Stooges episode [XD]) cigarettes had to be filled and rolled up by the consumer. My next one is not important to the plot either, but if William’s wife is a suspect in murderer, why isn’t she locked up (this one might also be connected to the time period).

Seth Campbell said on Feb. 12, 2013

Apple Kid

Machine rolled cigarettes have been around since the late 19th century.
And when George was talking about Will’s wife, he was using past tense verbs, implying that they thought she killed him, but they learned she hadn’t and that his dissapearance was an even bigger mystery.

Max said on Feb. 12, 2013

One thing: that ending was a little confusing. What did George take from the tablet? How did he learn PSI so easily? Why did he say that weird poem to John?

These are just a few things I don’t understand, but if you could make things clearer or tell me what I’m missing, it’d be nice.

Eunacis (Seth Campbell) said on Feb. 12, 2013

Yeah, the ending was rushed and I plan to rewrite significant parts of it.

Will said on Jun. 5, 2013

Actually, I’m confused about the last line of the script.

What exactly did the humans do to Giygas? (I mean, I have my own theories that Giygas eventually killed Maria in a temper tantrum gone wrong, and that is why Queen Mary has that nightmare.) Is this right when they restored her memories with the eight melodies?

Another thing that always confused me about the game was why Giygas alone was so central to the invasion. I mean, really? There are no other Mooks or Starmen or even other Gyiyg who will notice that the kids have chased off Giygas, then shrug and say “the commander is indisposed, I am assuming temporary command. Regroup and carpet bomb the entire surface of Mt. Itoi on my mark”?