February 25th, 2013 | MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

The other day I posted about a neat MOTHER 1 trick BBGangZombie found (see here), and now here’s some more! These particular tricks involve how music is loaded while walking around in MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero:

I have another few glitches if you want to take a look—these ones aren’t as major though, and I found both of these on my own by accident so I’m sure SOMEBODY knew of these before me, but whatever.
These ones work in all versions of the game, and are both music-based. The game loads the music playing when it loads a save since music isn’t stored in the map data, allowing some save oddities.

The other one: music changing between two sections of the map is actually a sprite that you walk through. Teleportation does not activate the sprite, allowing you to drag music with you between these places!

You can see a video of these things in action here:

When I was working on my EarthBound Zero remake hack years ago, one of the unexpected issues I ran into was when you died. It threw the expected/designed-for flow of events out of order, so I quickly realized it’s something you need to keep in mind when designing event-driven games. The first music issue here is an example of that, although it’s not a big deal in this case. It’s nothing compared to what you can do in Final Fantasy III/VI, anyway 😛

13 Comments to EarthBound Zero Music Glitches

Durgee said on Feb. 25, 2013

Wow that’s cool.

Jdaster64 said on Feb. 25, 2013

Reminds me a bit of the mini-Mario music glitch in Superstar Saga. I suppose these types of errors crop up pretty easily.

PSY (PsiReaper) said on Feb. 25, 2013

If anyone is curious, this glitch also exists in the localized EarthBound Zero rom.

Its a cool glitch, allows you to hear Youngtown instead of Best Friends, which is a welcoming change.

BB Gang Zombie said on Feb. 25, 2013

^ Works in M1+2 as well. It’s odd though because this is one of those things I’d think would be caught during quality assurance testing since they are both quite easy to activate…

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Feb. 25, 2013

It’s very cool of BB Gang Zombie to post up glitches like these. By the way, these can be found on a page of WikiBound. Hmmm…

Also, I think the localized prototype port of M1+2 was just translated and thrown in. I don’t know why I think that way.

johnr754 said on Feb. 25, 2013

What. With any other places the music changes, this can happen. And surprising how this wasn’t fixed in Mother 1+2 – then again, it did have the Exit Mouse and Poison-Gyiyg glitch.

Z said on Feb. 25, 2013

Eating Babies

BB Gang Zombie said on Feb. 25, 2013

@Opinionated Vector Chimera That’s because I WROTE most of that page on WikiBound. 😛

Poochy said on Feb. 26, 2013

AFAIK, it wouldn’t even be possible to fix this glitch without breaking all the towns off into separate maps. Since Mother is more or less one giant interconnected map, the music change has to be triggered by a tile.

Christian Baum said on Feb. 26, 2013

I found the teleport/music glitch like five years ago! I made a video of it, too! 🙂 Source: http://youtu.be/whVxCDc3lds

BB Gang Zombie said on Feb. 26, 2013

I figured I wasn’t the only one who knew about these, but hopefully I showed somebody something new. I thought it was really neat the first time it cropped up and was surprised it wasn’t on here!

Buster The Fox said on Feb. 28, 2013

@Poochy
Actually wouldn’t be that hard, I think. It just has to change the music even if the tile is passed during teleportation. I don’t know how the system works or if what music is playing gets stores in a variable or what, but it seems like it could actually be a pretty easy fix. It’s just a classic case of not thinking through how movement works in the teleportation system compared to the regular walking system. :p I’ve found and dealt with a lot of silly bugs like this when working on my own games. For instance, not being able to go through a warp when you’re invincible since I have to swap in a different character object and re-make the movement system for it (Although that’s a poor example of coding right there, hah).

Anyway. I always enjoy anything having to do with messing with music since music is pretty much my favorite ever. xD I’m drawing a blank trying to think of other places where you could possibly utilize the save music glitch, though. I suppose it would’ve been found by now (and the glitch itself fixed somehow) if there were any other places to do it. Us gamers are pretty explorative (Not a real word…?), especially in late-game situations. But clearly there are ways to muck things up even in limited start-game situations. Now I wanna try doing stuff out of order in Earthbound and see if I can screw with anything… For instance, the glitch where you die after getting Buzz Buzz to keep him/skip the Starman Jr. Maybe there are more things to be found… There always is with this game. 😀

Buster The Fox said on Feb. 28, 2013

Revision to what I said in response to Poochy:
Since it loads the music from a save file (resulting in the first glitch), it MUST store the music that’s currently being played in a variable after all. So all they would need to do is make it so that it switches the song currently playing even when you pass it via teleportation. :p So yeah, actually not so hard! 🙂 As for the save file glitch… Eh, they would have to re-do the whole way in which the game decides how to load music, which would be a pain. Plus, it seems there’s only one place where it makes a difference, anyway. Haha! ^_^

Find Merchandise!