Get the MOTHER 2 Soundtrack… In Style!
The other day I posted about a neat MOTHER 1 trick BBGangZombie found (see here), and now here’s some more! These particular tricks involve how music is loaded while walking around in MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero:
I have another few glitches if you want to take a look—these ones aren’t as major though, and I found both of these on my own by accident so I’m sure SOMEBODY knew of these before me, but whatever.
These ones work in all versions of the game, and are both music-based. The game loads the music playing when it loads a save since music isn’t stored in the map data, allowing some save oddities.
The other one: music changing between two sections of the map is actually a sprite that you walk through. Teleportation does not activate the sprite, allowing you to drag music with you between these places!
You can see a video of these things in action here:
When I was working on my EarthBound Zero remake hack years ago, one of the unexpected issues I ran into was when you died. It threw the expected/designed-for flow of events out of order, so I quickly realized it’s something you need to keep in mind when designing event-driven games. The first music issue here is an example of that, although it’s not a big deal in this case. It’s nothing compared to what you can do in Final Fantasy III/VI, anyway 😛
Other Related Posts:
13 Comments to EarthBound Zero Music Glitches
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?