February 16th, 2013 | EarthBound, Images, Merchandise

For the past couple of months I’ve been reporting on the official MOTHER 2 iPhone 5 case that Shigesato Itoi’s company released in Japan. Well, a fan outside of Japan recently imported it and here’s the report!

So, I got my Mother 2 case in today direct from Chiba. It cost me $38 and it took a few days to get here, but it was well worth it. It actually only took about 4 days to get here, which isn’t bad really. The case is very smooth and has a nice glossy sheen to it.

I don’t know if anyone has done a thread on this yet. My bad if this is a repost.

Anyway, If anyone was thinking of getting it and was worried about importing it, I had no problems. Google Chrome was able to translate well enough to navigate Itoi’s website. So go for it if you have the spare cash!

The packaging was rather plain. It wasn’t really Mother related. Although the bag it was packaged/wrapped in was rather cool and I plan on keeping it. You can see it in the background. It reads:

HOBO (Then a silhouette of the cartoon with the big ears)
NIKKAN
ITOI
SHINBUN

Whatever that means. I’m out of the loop these days.

Anyways, yeah. Very awesome.

photo_large

This comes from a forum post on Starmen.Net, which you can see here.

It’s still such a strange feeling to see such an old game being connected to such a modern gadget like this. It’s the same feeling I’d get if I saw a black-and-white HD TV or something 😛

10 Comments to A Look at the MOTHER 2 iPhone Case

The Man With No Name said on Feb. 16, 2013

Awesome!

Snesdude7 said on Feb. 16, 2013

I wish there was more NEW merch

TylerS said on Feb. 17, 2013

shinbun means newspaper. sadly, that is the extent of my japanese knowledge

BusterTheFox said on Feb. 17, 2013

I hate that my recent phone upgrade was only eligible for an iPhone 4 (Not even a 4S! Ah!). I would give a lot of stuff to have this for my iPhone 4 (even if my Otterbox probably protects it better than this would… I’ll have to make due with having an EB-themed desktop background image, I guess…).

But heck, if I ever get an iPhone 5 and these things are still selling (or are cheap on eBay, whatever the case may be), I’ll be getting one for sure. $38 seems cheap to me considering it was imported. 😀

Chris said on Feb. 17, 2013

Wait, these cases only fit the iPhone 5?

Xi said on Feb. 17, 2013

It’s the Mother 2 iPhone 5 case, and the iPhone 5 is larger than the other iPhones. So, yes. 🙂

Mariotti said on Feb. 18, 2013

HOBO NIKKAN ITOI SHINBUN is the name of Itoi’s website and translates to Almost Daily Itoi News.

Queue said on Feb. 18, 2013

Whoa! Hahaha! I got a post on Earthbound Central?! I feel like an internet star!

Thanks, Tomato!

Chris said on Feb. 18, 2013

Sorry Xi! I used to know the exact sizes of all Apple products but unfortunately my memory was erased in January.

sdotdiaz said on Feb. 18, 2013