EarthBound’s Marketing Campaign
January 21st, 2013 | Itoi
Last month Shigesato Itoi started to occasionally post messages on Twitter about some sort of MOTHER revival or MOTHER republication, and in one of his first messages he said:
the “MOTHER republication” thing I mentioned briefly before
The thing is, no one knew what the heck he was talking about. For pretty much everyone, including me, this was completely new news! I finally tracked down what he was talking about, so here’s what the series of events so far seems to be:
- Lindsay (aka Chewy) met with Itoi on business and talked to him about fans outside of Japan. He seemed very interested and surprised at the following outside of Japan. (link)
- Shortly after, Iwata mentioned in an interview that he and Itoi had been recently discussing the series’ fan base outside of Japan. (link)
- Itoi organizes a MOTHER-series music concert with two well-known Japanese game music players. (link)
- Itoi posts on Twitter (link):
I’m guessing Prof. Sakamoto and Hyadain played MOTHER 2 around the time they were in grade school. Man, so many interesting things have happened as a result of making those games.
- To this, a Japanese fan on Twitter said, “Mr. Itoi! Please make a MOTHER series remake or let it get released for download! I wanna play them but I can’t buy them anywhere!!!!”
- To this, Itoi responded with:
I’ll firmly tell Mr. Iwata tomorrow (laugh)
- He mentioned the next day that he was heading to Kyoto (which is where Nintendo’s headquarters is), so Japanese fans wondered if there might be something MOTHER-y going on. Of course, he often goes to Kyoto anyway, so it was just fans being hopeful.
- In a Twitter message, Itoi thanks MOTHER fans and specifically mentions Starmen.Net. (link)
- The next day, Itoi posted lots of MOTHER stuff on his daily post of his site. (link)
- A few weeks later, Itoi tweeted the big MOTHER-related news that caught everyone’s attention. (link)
- Then, a few weeks after that (which is just a few days ago), he posted some more stuff about MOTHER developments. (link)
Note: For convenience, I’ll update this area with any new developments after I initially made this post.
- A few days later, Itoi posted his thoughts about his meeting with Chewy. It’s clear he knows a lot more about overseas fans now. (link)
So that’s the general flow of events. Whether or not Chewy’s meeting had anything to do with it is naturally a big question mark, but I honestly think so from what she’s mentioned in the podcast and in person.
Other Related Posts:
27 Comments to Timeline of Itoi’s Twitter Announcements
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...
- StarmanAlex: JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY
- adex: “Mother2fan” is just some perverted eurocreep who thinks females should be subjected to the naked male form whenever the...