EarthBound Series Sales Figures
The price of EarthBound cartridges and other MOTHER games have been rising over the years, and it’s only natural that fans aren’t happy about it. I stumbled upon this video where a fan tries to express his anger and his reasons for said anger:
I don’t want to add too much more to it, but I do think it’s important to point out a few things:
- Although EarthBound sold about 140,000 copies in all, that was over the total lifetime. In the first year – which is most important – it sold somewhere around 70,000. After that it was mostly just a bargain bin game, if you’ll recall.
- Nintendo spent a lot of money on EarthBound, thinking it would be a huge hit. They even used the guide as a loss leader, as well as a $10-off coupon. Meaning they actually wasted money in the hope of making money in the long run.
- Games cost a lot of money to translate, reprogram, test, produce, market and distribute. Nintendo spent two million dollars on EarthBound’s marketing alone. Again, factor in the cost to produce and print the guide (that they gave away for free) and it all adds up to a LOT of money spent. That 70,000 or so copies sold probably wasn’t enough to recoup these costs or if so, just barely made any profit. Personally, my bet is that the game lost money for Nintendo.
So that’s my take on why EarthBound was deemed a failure by Nintendo and why “140,000″ wasn’t that great. For more details on SNES RPGs and sales numbers, there’s a great interview with Ted Woolsey on the subject here.
Other Related Posts:
32 Comments to MOTHER Series Pricing Rant
Leave a reply
- Smellygarbage: What IS the world record anyway?
- bet angel pro: Howdy That’s a informative post.
- Anonymous: Egh… just as long as parent groups aren’t going to treat the “sexual themes” like they did for Mass Effect. I...
- Bob: What does COD have to do with this? Or do you just like mindlessly bashing on mainstream games?
- Anonymous: EARTHBOUND SUCKS PLAY CALL OF DUTY just kidding, Call of Duty sucks