RARE Near Mint EarthBound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 1995)

January 30th, 2013 | EarthBound, Hacking, MOTHER 1

The folks working on the MOTHER remake hack have finished all the map work for the outdoors areas! Here’s a look at the map of maps:

Mother_Remake_small_map

All of the locations and rooms in EarthBound are actually stored as one giant map, which is why you see all of these MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero maps arranged this way. Later, a lot of the blank areas will be filled with indoor maps, like the insides of houses, buildings, dungeons, and the like.

This is actually a huge step in the project – maps were like THE biggest hurdle when I attempted an EarthBound Zero remake hack years ago. I wound up shelving the project when the buggy map editors kept corrupting everything:

eb0hack_00005 eb0hack_00005

There’s still a ton of work left to be done, so I wouldn’t expect this remake hack to get done for another year or two at least (that’s just my prediction, I’m not involved with the project). But man, oh, man, I can’t wait to see all the pieces coming together quicker and quicker now 😀

If you want to keep up with more detailed progress of the project, keep an eye on this forum thread!

17 Comments to MOTHER Remake Hack Overworld Finished

Alex Foffano said on Jan. 30, 2013

Wow! Great news!

MoonSide said on Jan. 30, 2013

Congratulations! This is such a big milestone for this project. I can’t wait until its finished.

Yorkshire Gold said on Jan. 30, 2013

Goddamn, Mt. Itoi is HUGE

I’m impressed by how faithful they’ve managed to remain to the appearance and layout of the areas given the constraints of Earthbound’s maps. That must have been tough as hell.

Hyperstar96 said on Jan. 30, 2013

Is that first picture showing a 2D NES platformer with 16-bit sprites? XD

Pipe said on Jan. 30, 2013

i am waiting this hack only to play mother 1

joeymartin64 said on Jan. 30, 2013

Wow. This is seriously impressive. Good show.

The World Is Square said on Jan. 30, 2013

Most days, I feel my maps are pretty okay. But in comparison to H.S.’s work, they are merely smatterings of pixels within the EarthBound rom.

It’s nice to see the progress! Finishing the overworld is a big step, and will help the project gain even more momentum.

Seifer said on Jan. 30, 2013

Looks incredible. Can’t wait to play it.

EBforever said on Jan. 30, 2013

Dude. What IS H.S. anyway? How does he manage all this epic-ness?

Ness1985 said on Jan. 31, 2013

I’m happy to see this wasn’t abandoned! 😀

Buster The Fox said on Jan. 31, 2013

So awesome!!! And there still seems to be plenty of space left for the dungeons and houses. I’m getting interested in seeing how the text and story stuff is coming along for some reason now, though… Haha! Great stuff!

Jeff Shot First said on Jan. 31, 2013

I AM SO HAPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYYY.
This made my day.

PiePusher11 said on Feb. 1, 2013

This is looking really good so far! I can’t wait to play it!

When they finish this, does anyone know if they will be using the EB0 translation, the Mother 1+2 translation, or a completely new translation?

Jdaster64 said on Feb. 1, 2013

I’ll admit I never really thought much of the idea of an EB remake of Mother 1, but this is some pretty dang good work that captures some part of the minimalist aesthetic of the original game. Mother 1 was always my favorite, so I’m looking forward to seeing how this further unfolds.

BOX said on Feb. 5, 2013

I am still looking forward to this, even if it is many years away.

I’m assuming that the maps they made are just the locations, right? By that I mean they have all the areas and buildings in the right place, but none of the people and dialogue (not to mention story triggers, etc.).

ange said on Feb. 27, 2013

it’s cool to see the hugeness of mother 1’s map was retained in the remake hack… early screenshots made me think it would be a lot smaller looking to fit but looking at the small version of that map alone shows how massive they managed to make it, dang
good hack work always impresses me, i’d love to learn someday but for now i’ll appreciate everyone who can do it. awesome stuff guys!!

Cam said on Aug. 20, 2013

I just found this thread, and I must say, IMPRESSIVE! I can’t wait to play the full hack. It’ll be like playing Mother for the first time again…