EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE

January 6th, 2013 | EarthBound, Hacking

eb-newcontrols000

Having played so much EarthBound I’m perfectly fine with its control scheme, but I do remember at the time that things felt a little odd. I guess I wasn’t the only one, because master EarthBound hacker Penguin has released a small patch that changes EarthBound’s menu controls and such a bit!

Here’s how the patch is described:

Say goodbye to navigating through dozens of menus just to talk to your mom!

Changes:

• A button is now the Magical Interaction Button. It will interact with whatever you’re facing.
  • X button is now the menu button. You’ll see the same menu displayed above.
  • Y Button is now the map button.
  • Interacting with something you cannot interact with will no longer produce a “No problem here.” dialog.
  • Text references to the map button have been changed to be more accurate.

To use, simply apply the appropriate patch to your rom.

• If your rom is 3,145,728 bytes (unheadered), apply eb-newcontrols.ips.
  • If your rom is 3,146,240 bytes (headered), apply eb-newcontrols-headered.ips.
  • For any other size… you’re on your own.

You can get the latest patch here!

20 Comments to EarthBound with New Controls

Mr. Saturn said on Jan. 6, 2013

Was using the L button too much of a hassle?

Satsy said on Jan. 6, 2013

I do like the idea of making better use of the buttons available, and not putting menus at every turn.

There are 2 current EB0 remakes going right now, right? I hope they implement something like this, the first game was terrible for menu navigation, too.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Jan. 6, 2013

Using the L[eft-handed] button wasn’t much of a hassle, but since I’m so used to the A button, I press that and then realize, “Oh! L is the button to press!”

The first game’s menu system was also terrible, but since I love the game so far (this is the unreleased prototype we’re talking about!) I got used to it anyway. 😀 It’s too bad you can’t rearrange items by giving them to yourself, like EarthBound can; that feature is useful for organization.

Linkzcap said on Jan. 6, 2013

“No problem here.” is like 40% of the reason why I play Earthbound

The Great Morgil said on Jan. 6, 2013

I like the old control scheme, cuz you can play with only one hand. It’s useful if you’re eating a sandwich or something while playing.

Anne Noise said on Jan. 6, 2013

@The Great Morgil: Came here to say just that, the L-as-A-button is a great tool, I wish every game had it.

TyBlood13 said on Jan. 6, 2013

It’s because of the old control scheme that I set every Pokemon game on DS to that same L=A!

PepsiMax said on Jan. 6, 2013

Earthbound is the only game I know that has a patch that caters to almost every petty complaint somebody has about the game. I mean, if it works for you, great.

2sang said on Jan. 6, 2013

The L button in earthbound was the greatest thing ever created since the power glove

2sang said on Jan. 6, 2013

Actualy, that’d be pretty dang cool. Someone should hack a power glove and make in connectable to snes aka earthbound. Now you’re playing with mother!

Chewy said on Jan. 6, 2013

I never even thought about the idea of changing the Earthbound controls, I was too busy eating a pizza in one hand while I walked around and enjoyed the quirky “No problem here” screen.

2Sang said on Jan. 6, 2013

Mach pizza, chewy?

Pokey-mon said on Jan. 6, 2013

Yeah, pretty cool. The L button already did it, but this is cool too. Nice

Anonymous said on Jan. 6, 2013

Someone needs to take this patch and add a run button and key item inventory. Then EarthBound would pretty much be perfect.

Radiostorm said on Jan. 6, 2013

As an interface design nerd, this rubs me the right way.

Chewy said on Jan. 6, 2013

You know it.

Seriously though, I’ll see you guys when I’m done makin’ http://www.LButtonCentral.net.

HpBoost said on Jan. 7, 2013

I always enjoyed the original controls. And after some of these comments, I want to eat pizza and play EarthBound at the same time too.

EBisumaru said on Jan. 7, 2013

By the way, if you want to actually try this, most ROMs are headered. That means use the second patch (eb-newcontrols-headered.ips)

BusterTheFox said on Jan. 10, 2013

You guys all seem to be saying stuff about the L-Button, but I noticed something recently while playing on an emulator.

I normally use Z and X for A and B, but since EB does the whole L-Button thing, I switched A and L so that Z was L and X was B. Hopefully that’s not too confusing. But the point is, L doesn’t open up the menu so that you can use your items and PSI and such. On a controller you normally use Select IIRC, but on an Emulator, unless you have a Gamepad (which I don’t), it’s kind of a pain when your “A” button doesn’t open the menu. So for the sake of playing this on an emulator (heck, it’s a ROM patch, you’d be hard-pressed to get it working with an SNES controller), it’s actually pretty useful.

That’s my two-cents, although maybe it was, like, fifty-cents since this is the longest comment so far. I always overload on information like this. Sorry~

binp said on Sep. 28, 2013

“heck, it’s a ROM patch, you’d be hard-pressed to get it working with an SNES controller”

well i play plenty of hacks on my original snes with retrozone powerpak flash cart. and it seems there’s more and better flash carts being made every day