Having played so much EarthBound I’m perfectly fine with its control scheme, but I do remember at the time that things felt a little odd. I guess I wasn’t the only one, because master EarthBound hacker Penguin has released a small patch that changes EarthBound’s menu controls and such a bit!
Here’s how the patch is described:
Say goodbye to navigating through dozens of menus just to talk to your mom!
- A button is now the Magical Interaction Button. It will interact with whatever you’re facing.
- X button is now the menu button. You’ll see the same menu displayed above.
- Y Button is now the map button.
- Interacting with something you cannot interact with will no longer produce a “No problem here.” dialog.
- Text references to the map button have been changed to be more accurate.
To use, simply apply the appropriate patch to your rom.
- If your rom is 3,145,728 bytes (unheadered), apply eb-newcontrols.ips.
- If your rom is 3,146,240 bytes (headered), apply eb-newcontrols-headered.ips.
For any other size… you’re on your own.
You can get the latest patch here!
Other Related Posts:
20 Comments to EarthBound with New Controls
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues