January 1st, 2013 | Auctions, EarthBound

Once a month I manually update the EarthBound price info on buyearthbound.com so fans can get good deals and avoid spending too much money. Here are the latest prices:

Average Prices:

• EarthBound cart: $190 (up from $180, lowest: $108.50 / highest: $279.95)
  • EarthBound guide: $82 (down from $97, lowest: $38.99) / highest: $169.95)
  • EarthBound complete set: $729 (up from $615, lowest: $229.99 / highest: $2028.39)

As expected, the game prices went up quite a bit during the holiday season. In fact, the cheapest cart-only one on there was for $108.50 and it wasn’t even a working cartridge! And then there was weird Japanese/English/PAL hybrid chimera cart thing which I didn’t include in my count but it made me go, “WTF?”

Anyway, since I started buyearthbound.com a little over a year ago I thought it would be interesting to take a look at how the prices have changed over the past 12 or 13 months. Here are graphs!

earthbound-prices

As you can see, the game prices tend to rise in general no matter what, but the price increase is slowest during the summer/late summer months. This doesn’t mean to wait until after the holidays to buy though – as things are now, waiting will mean it’ll cost you MORE.

I’m actually hoping that the recent announcement by Shigesato Itoi will result in some sort of re-release in English, which will mean the end of super crazy EarthBound prices. But knowing the history of the franchise, I’m not going to get my hopes up yet 😐

Anyway, as always, check out buyearthbound.com if you’re thinking of buying a copy of EarthBound or the guide – it’ll probably save you a lot of money!

7 Comments to EarthBound Price Update (Jan 2013)

2Sang said on Jan. 1, 2013

Maybe it’ll go down if/when the re-releases get released

BusterTheFox said on Jan. 1, 2013

I’m going day-by-day waiting for news on the new game(s). I just can’t wait to see something new in the franchise. o_O; I’ve got my hopes WAY too far up that it’ll be released in English, and I don’t know how to quell them.

Blueflower999 said on Jan. 1, 2013

All these insane prices make me feel good to have bought EarthBound in a store 2 years ago for only 90. It seemed expensive at the time, but looking back on it, it was a bargain.

NessObssesed said on Jan. 2, 2013

sucks being 14…..

NickH said on Jan. 2, 2013

I got mine for 25cents at a yard sale.

GriffinBound said on Jan. 3, 2013

WOW o_0 !
I still remember when I bought my cartridge, I paid like a little under 100$ !
And now the price has almost doubled 🙁 !

colorcaves said on Jan. 8, 2013

My cousin nearly threw his old snes Earthbound cart when i picked it up and asked if i could have it. blessing

Find Merchandise!