January 7th, 2013 | EarthBound, Merchandise, MOTHER 3

When I first started EarthBound Central I used to do “weekly round-up” posts every week with all sorts of links and stuff to talk about. I don’t really have time for that anymore, but I think sometimes I’ll still post “Random Stuff” updates with all sorts of thoughts and news that I know about but a lot of fans might not be aware of. So here’s the first one as a trial run! Let’s do this thing!

Ultimate Chimera Hunt

A little while back the Ultima Chimera Hunt game mode on Garry’s Mod broke. There’ve been lots of attempts to get it up and running again, and it sounds like an intrepid fan of the game has been making big strides in making that happen. I saw a little preview of it yesterday in fact!

I’ve always actually been mostly out of the loop when it comes to this Ultimate Chimera Hunt stuff and other Gmod stuff, but with the help and know-how of some friends I’m gonna try to stay on top of UCH news now!

If you’ve never heard of Ultimate Chimera Hunt before, he’s just a tiny look at it and the New Pork City level:

Itoi’s Updates

Multiple times throughout the day I’m checking Itoi’s Twitter, his company’s site, and 2ch for any news or updates about whatever MOTHER series stuff he and/or Nintendo has in the works. Nothing so far, but if anyone hears anything, let me know via e-mail here or on Twitter here!

Hardcover MOTHER 3 Handbook

Until just a few weeks ago I’d never seen the new version of Fangamer’s MOTHER 3 Handbook – it was always just something that I knew existed but didn’t know what was different about it.

After getting my own copy and skimming through it, it looks like it has:

• A new section at the end with enemy stuff, stats, and funny descriptions
  • Another new section with item and PK info (or was this in the old one too?)
  • Fixes to some mistakes/typos in the original handbook

There might be more to it, I dunno. Also, you can get the handbook in a hardcover edition – it feels much more authoritative somehow 😛 It also has a little built-in bookmark thing too, another thing I didn’t know about.

If you haven’t picked one up, go here! And if you wanna see the guide for free, see here. I don’t think the free version has the new content though.

Posters and Shirts

Speaking of Fangamer, since I now live literally like 15 minutes from them I’m finally somewhat in the loop of what’s going on there! Here are some recent EarthBound/MOTHER-ish stuff they got in:

lucas
Lucas shirts – now you too can experience unspeakable horrors at a young age and then watch your brother become a twisted freak of nature with a sweet battle sound

(I think they have a Claus shirt too but I’m not sure if it’s available anymore)

together
Together Again posters – by Zac Gorman, who’s been doing those EarthBound comics everyone keeps sending me links to 😛

MOTHER 3 project stuff

I wanted to post a quick status update on the various MOTHER 3-related projects.

First, like I mentioned before, I’m holding off on releasing the new MOTHER 3 patch (which fixes just a few typos and a few rare bugs) until we know more about whatever it is Itoi is planning. I don’t want there to be a scenario where Itoi is like, “Hey, everyone! MOTHER 3 is gonna be in English soon!” and then the next day I’m like, “Hey, everyone! Never mind the official release, here’s a new update for the fan translation!” But I do intend to release the updated patch eventually, and if it’s not going to step on anyone’s toes, I’d like to release the tools and files too. The patch isn’t ready to go just yet anyway – I have some wrestling to do with the intro disclaimer screen coding still and then test the patch thoroughly before releasing it.

Next, the MOTHER 3 translation notes have stalled a little bit again, but they’re not forgotten! I want to have a few sections up before I post anything online. Right now I’ve written up what’s already on the old notes here but with more info and more tidbits never seen/heard/discovered before. I’ll have stuff up soon – I promise!

Q&A soon

I’m thinking of doing another Q&A update sometime this month, so if you have any questions you’d like me to answer, post here or in the comments of a past Q&A update. You can see the old Q&As here.

Okay, that’s all for this time!

18 Comments to EarthBound Central Random Talk #1

EbbeMan said on Jan. 7, 2013

As long the website is up and runnung, im fine 🙂 Keep up the awesome job 😀 😉

Respect and love!

JamesBond007 said on Jan. 7, 2013

Fangamer never offered Claus shirt for sale – only Ness and Lucas.

gBev said on Jan. 7, 2013

As far as I know, the version of Ultimate Chimera Hunt running on the GMod Tower servers still works fine. I think it’s only broken for that dedicated UCH community.

Scapetti said on Jan. 7, 2013

As far as I know, I can’t get GMod Tower on Mac so I’d very much like to know when this is truly fixed 😉

Mato said on Jan. 7, 2013

I was also under the impression that the GMT one required a bunch of initial set-up work to get running, which is okay, I just thought I’d share news about the dedicated UCH one since it sounds like a number of EBC folks used to play there.

Halloween said on Jan. 7, 2013

Sounds great, thanks!

Apple Kid said on Jan. 7, 2013

I’m not sure if this will make it on the post but, I am making a game (not related to Earthbound but it’ll have its references) I need to know a few things. First off, do you need a keyboard with German characters to type German characters. That might seem stupid but I want other countries to enjoy my game. Next, is there anywhere I can find decent music without copyright troubles. I even be content with really old copyright expired music. Finally, what are some good programs I can use to sprite characters, etc. On an Earthbound related note what are some good rpgs that have been officially released in English? Finally, do you, Mr.Tom Ato of earthboundcentral.com think we will ever find the Earthbound 64 beta carts, and (if so) would the starmen.net staff hack it together in a playable (to the ending) version, and to put icing on the cake (or whipped cream on the sundae) would you translate the Japanese parts of the game? This is a lot to ask for so thanks in advance. (I probably forgot something to post even with all these questions.)

SomeUser said on Jan. 7, 2013

@Apple Kid
You can type German characters without a German keyboard. You can change your keyboard in the settings, and US International keyboards can use Right Alt (+ Shift) + a key to type characters.
Most drawing programs can sprite, but I guess you could use Paint.NET or something.

Anonymous said on Jan. 7, 2013

You should find out how to fix the Duster combo music glitch for the patch release.

WheatThinEthan said on Jan. 7, 2013

Q&A Question:

Itoi has recently announced a new (somewhatish) MOTHER project. We don’t really know anything about it yet, but rumors are galore. I hardly ever see anything said about release though. Sure, whether it’s Japan or Japan and NA (or maybe Europe of all places), but nothing about when! So I ask, when is the most reasonable guess to expect this to release? I know it depends on what kind of project it is (full-on remake or VC), but you must have some sort of educational guess, right? Talk about any theories you may have too, I love reading that kind of stuff.

Oh, and was this too big of a question? I always end up rambling on and on and on… (etc.)

WheatThinEthan said on Jan. 7, 2013

Second question (if you can read still after that first one):

If and when the new EarthBound remake is released in NA, do you think it will still retain the charm and fanbase it has now? We’re all so used to not having the game, but new people I can see not liking it for reasons (EB does get a little weird at times, and some gamers today are very picky). What will happen when it releases? Parties, endless playing, or maybe another translation :o?

Apple Kid said on Jan. 7, 2013

@SomeUser thanks.

Darien said on Jan. 8, 2013

@Apple Kid

Many people swear by GraphicsGale ( http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/ ) for sprite work — there’s a shareware version available, too. I personally do my sprites in Paint Shop Pro (7.04 — represent!), but that’s ancient software at this point.

As for music, there aren’t tons of completely copyright-free recordings out there, and most of them are rather bad. Still and all, check for music licensed as “Creative Commons” (q.v. http://freemusicarchive.org/curator/Creative_Commons/ ) and you should be able to find something.

Alternatively, you can create the music yourself, using something like lmms ( http://lmms.sourceforge.net/ ). I’ve taken that approach with some of my games. It adds a bit of learning curve, but you own the music 100%. And, hey, you learn a new trick in the process!

Mr Hargett said on Jan. 8, 2013

Now that I think about it, Chimera Hunt would have been a fun game for NintendoLand.

Anon said on Jan. 8, 2013

You’re right, actually. Come to think of it, this would be perfect for the use of asymmetrical gameplay using the WiiU gamepad.

jrronimo said on Jan. 8, 2013

Completely reasonable re: patch. I really hope Itoi’s project involves M3 in English on VC, but I’m not holding my breath…

HpBoost said on Jan. 10, 2013

Great update – I’m happy to see more of the Chimera Hunt, and I somehow missed the new hardcover Mother 3 guide. Your reasoning for waiting on the patch is quite understandable. Thanks for the info!

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Jan. 20, 2013

Q&A question: Where did a word like “Giygas/Gyiyg” come from? What does it mean?