January 28th, 2013 | EarthBound, Images, Misc.

Regular readers might remember that I made a big cross-country move to Tucson a couple months ago. A neat thing about this is that it puts me in close proximity of Fangamer and a bunch of other EarthBound super-fans. So it’s been really refreshing being able to talk about EarthBound stuff or just games in general with people in real life and not get looks of confusion 😛

One of the perks of being so close to Fangamer is getting to meet and hang out with a bunch of really talented people. I hung out with Chewy a few weeks ago, for example, and we talked about so many interesting things that I wish we had taped it. Stuff that would make EarthBound fans watch with glee and incredulity and awe and tears.

I met Katon, who’s famous around EarthBound fans as one of the guys behinds Fobbies are Borange, one of my most favorite EarthBound things ever. I got to meet Serge and Saber Lily, who have done amazing things with Garry’s Mod and Ultimate Chimera Hunt. In fact, they’ve been staying at my house for the past week showing me all sorts of cool MOTHER series stuff they’ve worked on or are working on.

I also recently met Jeff Benson, one of the guys behind EarthBound Saga. He came over to my place too and brought what some might consider a holy relic – the original tape the early EarthBound saga was filmed on:

ebsagavhs

Luckily my VCR didn’t kill the tape! Jeff also talked about behind-the-scenes stuff, the future of the series, and what’s been done for the latest episode, which sounds amazing. I also did a live translation of the Japanese comments of the EB Saga videos on NicoNico. It was pretty fun for everyone!

ebsaga

Sometimes I do some small Fangamer-related activities, like here someone wanted Meeellla, Reid, and me to sign a MOTHER 3 Handbook. I happened to be around so tadah:

autographs

I swear Reid’s signature is just a fancy “3”

All in all it’s really surprised me how Tucson’s slowly becoming this sort of EarthBound mecca. Although there’s not much to this particular update I’ll probably make future posts as I meet more awesome people in the EarthBound community and pick their brains in interviews or whatever. And possible EarthBound-related stuff going down at Fangamer. And maybe I’ll even let some people do some guest articles on here, I dunno.

If you guys got any suggestions, let me know in the comments!

33 Comments to Discoveries in the Desert

Octibbles said on Jan. 28, 2013

Sometimes I wish I lived in Tucson. You know what I find strange? Down in Tucson seems to be like an EarthBound super center and then where I live, Prescott Valley, no one knows what EarthBound is, and it’s in the same state! Ah well, my dad lives in Tuscon so I get to visit quite often, I’m bound to run into a fellow EarthBound fan eventually, though I have yet to actually meet one.

Sisto said on Jan. 28, 2013

I’ve lived in Phoenix for the past three years and I’ve yet to have been to Tuscon. I’ve met a few people who have played EarthBound and enjoy it, but, like Octibbles said, it sounds like an EarthBound super center down there. Maybe someday I’ll be able to meet the whole gang.

Mato said on Jan. 28, 2013

Actually, Phoenix used to be a big hot spot for a while. I lived there for most of my life and somehow a bunch of fans gravitated in that direction over the years. I guess it’s just not as organized or everyone’s moved down south.

DelectaBit said on Jan. 28, 2013

There’s a pretty big group of Mother fans an hour or two from me, but I doubt it compares to Tucson. It sounds like you’ve been having a great time! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures. :3

Nesskid said on Jan. 28, 2013

Tomato if you want to meet a bunch of awesome people who love Earthbound you should go to the con.

Mato said on Jan. 28, 2013

Heh, I’ve HAD one of the cons at my house years back 😛 I usually don’t have the time or money for stuff like cons anymore though.

A-wel Cruiz said on Jan. 28, 2013

Tucson. Twoson. Makes sense, when you think about it. 😀

Rhyselinn said on Jan. 28, 2013

^This. When I was new to the series, I thought it would be funny it Tucson was full of Earthbound fans. I laughed years later when I found out that’s where Fangamer is based through. It’s kind of perfect.

Nesskid said on Jan. 28, 2013

Yeah I had a con at my house too, nothing like having 13 people in your house for 3 days! I normally don’t have the money to go either but I always make it work some how.

BusterTheFox said on Jan. 28, 2013

EB fans SHOULD be based out of Tucson. Unless somebody founds a new town called Ohnet or Forecide. And guess how you pronounce those names?

…I, for one, would like to live in Happy Happy Village. It sounds like such a lively place.

64RR said on Jan. 28, 2013

That signature DOES look like a 3!

Krennthief said on Jan. 28, 2013

I was really surprised the first time I learned about the huge concentration of EarthBound fans here in Arizona, but it still seems surreal to me, because I’ve yet to meet anyone! XD

SaTuRnBoUnD said on Jan. 28, 2013

Wow, I never knew there was such a big EarthBound fan base just a few hours away from me. That’s awesome!

kenisu said on Jan. 28, 2013

Aauugh Mato I’ve been wanting to come down and meet everyone for so long gahhh I hate having no money to travel

Alex said on Jan. 28, 2013

Mato, i dont mean to be a bother…but it would honestly mean the world to me if you could take one minute to check your email. thank you
-Alex

Stevesesy said on Jan. 29, 2013

Hey Tom Ato!
I saw you might let some people do some guest articles. I know I might seem to be insane but I actually love writing articles and I’m a staff writer for PriceCharting.com. If you were serious, I’d love to get in touch with you for some article ideas!

MrMoarplz said on Jan. 29, 2013

If I moved to Tucson I’d open up my very own chaos theatre and invite everyone for a show!

Animegame97 said on Jan. 29, 2013

Hey, that’s my book! I found your signature on the Chapter 8 Descending Shaft map. Thanks for signing! Now to get Itoi’s signature… I can dream right :-D?

Freezair said on Jan. 29, 2013

Back when I first played the game, I took a certain bit of pride in the fact that I lived in a city that was homophonic (phonic! PHONIC!) with the name of an Earthbound city. However, given how obscure the game was, I figured nobody else would care. Fast forward eleven years to the modern day, and now Tucson is the weird, pseudo-Earthbound Captial of the US.

You should hold some kind of EB fan meetup, Mato! Tell all the EB fans to get together, have a big potluck picnic, and ramble about that there game we love so much.

And because we should keep the puns a-flowing, it should be in Reid Park. 😛

EnnuiKing said on Jan. 29, 2013

That’s a lot of “W”s.

Octibbles said on Jan. 29, 2013

Oh, I forgot to mention in my earlier comment; there’s a town in northern Pheonix called Happy Valley and its name reminds me of Happy Happy Village (I keep accidentally calling it that) just thought it was kind of funny that there’s Tucson and Happy Valley in the same state, because ya know, Twoson and Happy Happy.

Esper said on Jan. 29, 2013

Dude you gotta get Jeff Benson to give us an EBSaga update. It’s been so long, but I’m always holdin’ out for it!

Mato said on Jan. 29, 2013

Alex: Sorry, I’m usually a bit behind on my e-mails. I sent a reply just now though!

Stevesesy: I haven’t really put much thought into it yet but I’ll post more info about guest stuff in the future. I was mostly thinking of having people I meet in real life make posts sometimes. You exist in real life, right?

Animegame97: Shhh! Don’t tell people where it is, they gotta find it for themselves 😛 Just kidding – glad you found it and I hope you like the book! I haven’t read through the entire thing myself yet, there’s so much stuff in it 😯

Esper: Sure, if he doesn’t read this before the next time I see him I’ll ask him to give a status update or something.

Ronald said on Jan. 29, 2013

I suggest you to do a vlog (video blog) of you meeting up with EarthBound fans you hang out with. It’s sort of like a day in every few weeks, you take your camera and film people you discuss EarthBound with.

The Great Morgil said on Jan. 29, 2013

You should’ve filmed yourself doing that live translating thing of the comments. That would’ve been fun to see.

Poe said on Jan. 29, 2013

Morgil – I can tell you that I smiled and laughed so much during the live translation of comments that my cheeks hurt <3

Stevesesy said on Jan. 29, 2013

I do exist in the real life. It is my final form.

Vince said on Jan. 29, 2013

What kind of things were the people saying in the comments?

Anonymous said on Jan. 29, 2013

I’ve lived in Phoenix for most of my life, but I haven’t met any EarthBound fans yet. Maybe I should actually go outside.

Also, for some reason, I never pronounced Tuscon (toosahn) and Twoson (toosun) the same. But it’s pretty cool that so many people from the community are there.

bahooney said on Jan. 29, 2013

I think you should start doing podcasts! I know operation rainfall does a lot of them, and they’re always really interesting. I love listening to people talk about the things I love. It sounds like a podcast between you and Chewie would’ve been incredible, and still has the potential to rock my world. You could also interview Reid/other Starmen founders on their history with the game. I just love hearing how people got into the series first, and who better to listen to than the most important figures of the EB community! Just a thought!

Poe said on Jan. 29, 2013

bahooney – you may be interested in this EarthBound podcast that Fangamer did a few months ago: http://fangamer.com/blog/2012/11/12/podcast-140-earthbound-discussion/

ShadowX said on Jan. 29, 2013

I slept on Tomato’s floor once and I woke up to his cat staring into my soul.

bahooney said on Jan. 29, 2013

Thanks, Poe! Didn’t know this existed!