Mother 1+2 Dosei San no Hon Picture Book with Dosei San Plush Japan USED

January 23rd, 2013 | EarthBound, Itoi

Capture

I’ll post details in a bit, but MOTHER 2 is going to be on the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console beginning March 20th. What’s more, to celebrate the Famicom’s 30th anniversary, it’ll only cost 30 yen between March 20th and April 18th.

More details in a bit as I read through everything!

Update:

Also, starting March 20th, Itoi himself will make an appearance in the MOTHER 2 Miiverse community and talk about his memories of working on MOTHER 2 19 years ago.

Update:

I don’t have time this morning to do a full translation of Itoi’s post on the Nintendo site, but here’s a quick summary for now.

Check out Chewy’s full translation of Itoi’s message here!

Update:

It seems the Japanese version of the Nintendo Direct announcement and the North American version had all the same games… except the North American version didn’t have EarthBound. This is just what I’m hearing – I can’t confirm this because I can’t get them to play properly on this computer.

Update:

Itoi and the Nintendo page refer to this as a “revival festival”, so it’s pretty clear this is the “revival” Itoi mentioned a few days ago and the “republication” he mentioned last month.

210 Comments to MOTHER 2 on Japanese Virtual Console March 20th

Pigmask Private said on Jan. 23, 2013

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Pigmask Private said on Jan. 23, 2013

Honestly though I think this is just the first of many things to come!

Aspirety said on Jan. 23, 2013

Japan only…..

Satsy said on Jan. 23, 2013

I am happy for those in Japan, who will finally be able to play this game.

I am also happy for those in the US, who are far more likely to see a version released than the UK, EU, and AUS.

It’s a first step, and that is good news.

Hukky said on Jan. 23, 2013

Well. Can’t say I saw that coming.

I wonder how they fixed the legal issuaes?

Seth Campbell said on Jan. 23, 2013

Ring064 said on Jan. 23, 2013

YAAAAAAYYY!

even though its japan exclusive ( only for the min hopefully…) theres at least one small sigh of hope!

* runs to corner and cries for the rest of the week*

Pigmask Private said on Jan. 23, 2013

Yes because Reggie really, REALLY wants you to not play a game.

MarioMaster2011 said on Jan. 23, 2013

Is this the republication thing Itoi was talking about?

Lobsters said on Jan. 23, 2013

I know there still remain the possibility of a US release but, honestly, this feels like Nintendo is just bitter at the US for the bad sales. If they weren’t even aware of the huge cult following it has gathered then maybe they’ve managed to forget the fact that they let some moronic asshole make “THIS GAME STINKS” a slogan for it.

Earth Saturn said on Jan. 23, 2013

Since the Wii U VC is going to have NES, SNES, and GBA games, I’m really hoping for all 3 Mother games to be released for it in ALL REGIONS. I swear, if these are only released in Japan once again…

Seth Campbell said on Jan. 23, 2013

Reggie seems determined to keep MOTHER out of America.
When EarthBound was released here in 95, he was the head of Sales department, and the game floped. He MAY have taken this personally.
But this is just a wild guess and I’m probably wrong.

September said on Jan. 23, 2013

I’m gonna be honest – kind of disappointed. But, as a long-time MOTHER fan, I’ll just keep on waiting for something that’ll probably never get outside the Japanese borders. And for the Wii VC! They totally neglect us! :(

skyrunner14 said on Jan. 23, 2013

Maybe we’ll finally get it on VC over here too? Itoi is quite aware of us now… maybe he’ll try to get this to us as well? I’m hoping…

Seth Campbell said on Jan. 23, 2013

My heart says they’ll release it with a bang. My brain says NoA will never even bat an eyelash even when it gets a European release…
And then NoJ will ask why the h*ll they’re not releasing it and some people may end up “between jobs”.

If NoA chooses NOT to release it stateside, they WILL have some ‘splainin to do since Iwata’s (President of Nintendo) been trying to put this on the VC for years.

Jesta said on Jan. 23, 2013

This is HUGE news and a big step forward – it may only be in Japan, but it shows that MOTHER CAN be re-released in full. Though, who knows what kind of changes were put in place in the game to avoid any drastic copyright issues i.e. use of The Beatles songs.

But with the revelation of the nature of the Wii U Virtual Console, the MOTHER series has a shot of being fully released, in ALL REGIONS. I hope that Nintendo has the good sense to see – after all these years – that there is a big market for these games outside of Japan, and will release them for the Virtual Console before the year is up (even if they just release EarthBound, it’s a BIG step forward). Hell, I will buy a Wii U the MINUTE EarthBound is announced for the Wii U Virtual Console! And I hope that if MOTHER 3 shows any signs of being re-released in any territory, that the good folks at Starmen.net will volunteer their translation to Nintendo, as a big sign that we want the game released over here!

mike said on Jan. 23, 2013

They showed all the same games on both American and Japanese Nintendo direct when they were talking about the virtual console, EXCEPT for earthbound. It was the only one NOA didn’t show

Anonymous said on Jan. 23, 2013

I’m a little disappointed here. Don’t get me wrong it’s great that people in Japan get to enjoy a VC rerelease of Mother 2, and I’m happy to see that. But I’m worried that this is all thats gonna come from Itoi’s announcement, and we won’t get to see a rerelease outside of Japan. Also 3DS seems like the more suitable platform since it’s portable, and could you imagine Giygas in 3D? Hopefully more developments will come up, but at the moment I highly doubt it.

Anonymous said on Jan. 23, 2013

@mike Fire Emblem wasn’t shown either, however it was never localised so it technically doesn’t count.

LucasPSI said on Jan. 23, 2013

Wait. Is this the big thing Itoi was talking about making Mother playable again? If so… I am honestly kind of disappointed…

Mato said on Jan. 23, 2013

Disappointment is our middle name though

Ring064 said on Jan. 23, 2013

@LucasPSI, i completely forgot about that. what if this is the big plan to make mother playable?

Im not sure which one will make me cry more now: playing mother 3 again or knowing that this was the attempt to make mother playable again?

Anonymous said on Jan. 23, 2013

This is really disappointing. We all got excited for whats certin to be a Japan only rerelease of Mother 2. I really thought the whole series was going to be rereleased, and that we’d be able to get it in the U.S to. But now that hope/dream is shot :( Itoi’s aware of us, and so many things were done to make ourselves seen by Nintendo, and yet we still don’t get a rerelease. At this rate EB cartridges will probably end up selling for over $300 one day because we’ll never get a rerelease ever :( I don’t mean to be so negative, but it’s really depressing how we all got our hopes up for this, only to find out it’s yet another Japan only release.

Mato said on Jan. 23, 2013

Ring064: I’m 100% certain this is what Itoi’s recent announcements were about.

Hukky said on Jan. 23, 2013

March isn’t next month, by the way. :P

Gradon said on Jan. 23, 2013

Yeah I will be disappointed if this isn’t released outside of Japan and this was ‘making Mother playable again.’ Unfortunately I see that to be the case. Surely developing a remake of Earthbound for 3DS to show off alongside Smash Bros WiiU & 3DS would get interest floating into the title? They make a sequel to Kid Icarus after Pits inclusion to Smash Bros… Sigh.

PSIpunky said on Jan. 23, 2013

For goodness sake… a virtual console release is all we can ask for in NA.

Has it been confirmed as a Japanese release only?

gBev said on Jan. 23, 2013

Disappointing? Yes. But it’s really not surprising either. This does make all the mentions of western fans seem out of place though.

Permafry_42 said on Jan. 23, 2013

If they still do release it for wii u in north america at a later date (maybe announcing it during e3), I’m going to be a little disappointed since I still don’t have a wii u yet! Plus i’m getting a gaming pc soon, which means i won’t have the money for a wii u! I was really hoping it would be for 3ds… =C

ben said on Jan. 23, 2013

weak

Jesta said on Jan. 23, 2013

As fickle as it may be, I’m still holding out hope. Mr. Itoi knows that we exist now, and that we desperately want MOTHER over here. I know it’s not just his decision to make, but he is one of the few people in this matter that can make our dreams a reality.

PSIpunky said on Jan. 23, 2013

Come to think of it, it just so happens that the Wii U will be implementing its virtual console in the spring. Could it be that they might want to wait for an announcement for NA?

Protoplasm said on Jan. 23, 2013

Wait, titles on the Wii U VC aren’t exclusive to Wii U, right? So… If this did come to America at a later date… I could just play it on my Wii, right?

Gradon said on Jan. 23, 2013

Protoplasm – No, they’re exclusive to Wii U.

wiiarebrothers said on Jan. 23, 2013

Because they haven’t announced in the EU/US does not mean it’ll not appear here…
It wouldn’t be a first they’d announce something in a Japanese ND, only to announce localization a few times later.
People are overreacting.

Earth Saturn said on Jan. 23, 2013

@Protoplasm, I’m pretty sure the Wii U VC titles are exclusive to the Wii U. It wouldn’t make sense otherwise. @PSIpunky, I sure hope so. It could also be that they’re still working out the kinks with the legal issues and they can’t announce a US release until everything’s sorted out and they get permission to announce it.

Arekou said on Jan. 23, 2013

can someone ask itoi if this was the mother republication thing on his twitter? maybe he will say somethig, I am still optimist though :)

disappointNess said on Jan. 23, 2013

If it were going to be rereleased here in North America to they would have announced it today. Theres no scense in hoping NoA will announce a EarthBound rerelease on a later day. I know this is a hard thing to take in, but we shouldn’t hold out false hope that somethings going to be announced in the near future.

Ring064 said on Jan. 23, 2013

@mato i should of realised…then again i still cant get the message that ” Nintendo dosnt love us non-speaking Japanese earthboundians anymore” ;(

i guess paula’s praying still hasnt got to them yet…after more than 10 years…

but who knows? all we can do is presume that its coming internationally or that it will never see daylight again internationally…its all up to Nintendo to see whats right… though you are probably are correct wise mato.

gee im like nana arnt i? sorry everyone…

resetsurvivor said on Jan. 23, 2013

I think this is wonderul news. I’m pretty optimistic about the future of EarthBound being released outside of Japan on the VC. We’ll even get to hang out on the Mother 2 Miiverse community and make our voices heard there as well. I’m super excited! Mark your calendars.

PSIpunky said on Jan. 23, 2013

@dissapointNess: Localization does take time, so it could be that they are working out some things. Plus, for a Wii U virtual console release, it has been said that they are buliding new code to be able to get it on Wii U and also playable on the gamepad. Localization and new code will take time.

Wishful thinking though.

@Earth Saturn: That’s what my thoughts are at this point… this dream still eludes us.

Anonymous said on Jan. 23, 2013

Just in case he still doesn’t know how big the fanbase over here is, we should come up with a letter or a tweet or something that lays out how obsessed with his games we are and why, and have somebody translate it into japanese and send it to him – something like this:
Most games like Mario are just pure fun, but RPGs can have incredibly complex storylines, and his games in particular make you feel all of the emotions you get from watching a movie or reading a good book.

Arekou said on Jan. 23, 2013

No offense but guys…don’t act like emos, we were pleading for a VC relase of Mother 2 or Earthbound and when we finally get we whine? Honestly I am happy as this means that they haven’t forgot the series and it could at least see relase here in America in some future, and about why they didn’t announced it? maybe because they need to censor stuff before announcing it, that’s my guess, BTW I wonder who was the idiot in charge of the “This game stinks” slogan.

Seth Campbell said on Jan. 23, 2013

If NoA decides not to release EarthBound stateside for whatever reason, they WILL have to answer to Nintendo’s home office and will probably be in trouble. Iwata, the President of Nintendo (all of it), has been pushing for EB’s release on the Virtual Console since they MADE the Virtual Console. And Itoi’s probably told him about the fanbase, aka MARKET, for EB here in the States.

In short, Nintendo’s home office is now well aware that there is a HUGE market for the MOTHER series in North America. If Nintendo of America doesn’t know this yet, they will soon; and probably not enjoy it.

Max said on Jan. 23, 2013

This is pretty much what I expected, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Japan-only either.

M3FTW said on Jan. 23, 2013

Once again, fans got themselves over-excited! There was a reason Itoi was keeping it hush-hush! To those disappointed, you did this yourself! Republication is just that! There was no promise of anything more!

And Reggie doesn’t hate EarthBound, so stop making stuff up.

Seth Campbell said on Jan. 23, 2013

And we can always make another petition.

Miles of SmashWiki said on Jan. 23, 2013

Disappointing that it’s only Japan only for now (did they really have to give its US slot to Punch-Out, of all things?), but hopefully it’ll make its way to the US sooner or later.

It does seem odd that Mother 1 isn’t on VC and hasn’t been mentioned here. Maybe they’ll release it later on Wii U VC?

Arekou said on Jan. 23, 2013

Mother 3 on 3DS virtual console wouldn’t be a bad Idea Either, and @M3FTW don’t act like a COD kid please…

Anonymous said on Jan. 23, 2013

@Arekou Whoever was in charge of that probably never even played the game.

M3FTW said on Jan. 23, 2013

@Arekou I guess that’s supposed to be an insult, which is kind of base, but, alright.

That being said, it still stands that there was no mention of a remake, no mention of any other regions acquiring the game. Blaming Reggie or anyone else is just childish, it reflects poorly on other fans.

Arekou said on Jan. 23, 2013

@M3FTW slapping it on their faces doesn’t makes you better either, still I wish they were more optimistic, It’s something at least, we are getting a VC Relase, even if it’s just Japan, it haves potential to come to America, considering that Itoi and iwata now know about us.

Anonymous said on Jan. 23, 2013

Oh, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, all of those comments meant to read “We’re never getting it ever, Reggie is the devil, I’m never buying a Nintendo again.” Please forgive me.

Max said on Jan. 23, 2013

Here’s the upside: the fact that they’re releasing MOTHER 2 on the VC–rather than all three games–makes a North American port plausible. Why? Because they obviously already released MOTHER 2 in America many years ago.

The downside: on the other hand, the fact that the game wasn’t mentioned on Nintendo Direct–when MOTHER 2 was already localized and translated as EarthBound–is an indicator that they won’t import it.

Justin said on Jan. 23, 2013

I am trying to stay positive.

M3FTW said on Jan. 23, 2013

@Arekou I think you misjudge what I’m saying here. I’m not saying that we’re not getting it, I’m not saying I’m better than others, I’m just sick of a lot of these older fans, who know better. We’ll probably get it in the future, the potential is definitely there, just like you say. It’s just reading posts like “we’ll never get a rerelease ever” and “If it gets the shaft here stateside, we ALL know where to point the finger. (Reggie)” that make me cringe.

DelectaBit said on Jan. 23, 2013

It’s possible that they aren’t far enough into the development of the VC version to talk about release in other territories. Such things take time, I just advise that people be patient.

PepsiMax said on Jan. 23, 2013

Anybody that brings up Reggie NEEDS to be socked in the face; seriously, shut up. But anyway, this is VERY disappointing…very. A re-release as a digital download never counted as a “revival” for any game. A remake, a new sequel, an enhanced port, those are revivals. Not just a straight port with slight edits. It will be interesting to take note of the differences from this version and the SNES version though, but in whole, it’s a let down considering the build up.

Thigolf said on Jan. 23, 2013

So that means they’ll be able to re-release it in the West too, right? …right?

Arekou said on Jan. 23, 2013

@M3FTW I guess that’s more understandable, I think that too, this time there are n excuses to not relase this port internationally.

NessPKrocks said on Jan. 23, 2013

Mother Dissapointment Earthbound…what a sad name…

Anonymous said on Jan. 23, 2013

Just a few words.

Granted it’s upsetting that of all things Punch Out will be in our hands while Japanese Wii U owners receive Mother 2. However, Nintendo knows that this is a game with a devoted fanbase. It also has people who would probably say “Oh, so that’s where Ness came from!” and might potentially buy it. But it might not catch on immediately/in the long run. Again.

This promotion, the thirty day thirty cents/yen would not be a financially viable way for Nintendo to release this game in America. It would be spectacular to say the least, but when they’re already uneasy about the financial stability of a title, I’d feel that if they were to release it it would be on its own at full price.

So chin up, you never know what the future holds. I consider this a great step for all EarthBound fans, even if we won’t see the immediate benefit.

Anonymous said on Jan. 23, 2013

There’s no point getting mad at the people making stupid comments because people say stupid things when they’re upset and making them feel stupid is just gonna upset them more. Big stupid circlejerk. Calm down and let this run its course, a single announcement doesn’t shut down the possibility of something happening in the future.

Saggy said on Jan. 23, 2013

We’re used to being disappointed, so this doesn’t bother me so much. We just gotta hope for a US release. If not, we need to speak out even more. One of my good friends recently got into Earthbound. The fanbase is growing, so there’s still a chance.

Mato said on Jan. 23, 2013
PSIpunky said on Jan. 23, 2013

Republication is what it is… bringing back something the way it was published before. Making Mother “playable” had no indication of being an enhancement or adding new things to it.

Time will tell what happens now for NA.

Pepper said on Jan. 23, 2013

I agree with DelectaBit. I wouldn’t have expected a Japanese version and a US version to be released at the same time. I don’t believe that Itoi would have specifically mentioned us recently for nothing and can only look at the Japanese release as a step forward.

Patience is definitely tested within this fanbase but I believe we have made progress.

Woofo said on Jan. 23, 2013

I’m not sure whether this news makes me excited for the possibilities or depressed that this may be all that there is.

I guess I’ll just go back to trying to forget about it for now.

Saggy said on Jan. 23, 2013

Also to everyone else who seems really upset over this, remember when mother 3 was released? Remember how long we waited for a translation? We still are. Don’t get angry over this. If it makes you feel any better, there’s a good chance it’ll get a US release. They just gotta remove some things first.

blrasmu said on Jan. 23, 2013

Well, time for some ice cream.

Anonymous said on Jan. 23, 2013

all i know is this

reggie is going to get SOOOOOOOOOO many letters now and the questions are going to get repeated.

at least the foot is in the doorway towards the possibility of its release state side

Covarr said on Jan. 23, 2013

1. I dunno why people are acting as though there were some big hurdle to a Japanese rerelease. They already did it on the GBA. Sure, it’s been a while since then, but it’s already shown to be possible, they just hadn’t done it again recently.

2. I dunno why anybody expected it to be coming to the US or Europe. Keep in mind, Itoi’s twitter is written in Japanese, by a Japanese person, from a Japanese point of view, with Japanese audiences in mind. If he were talking about the west, I’m fairly certain he would’ve tweeted in English to make it really obvious. (How is his English, btw? Would he have needed Google Translate?)

NorthofOnett said on Jan. 23, 2013

Mato, what do you think of all this? You think there’s still plans for a North American (if not worldwide) release?

HpBoost said on Jan. 23, 2013

Not expecting anything in the west, but this is super exciting nonetheless!

Moonside said on Jan. 23, 2013

I kinda figured this would happen. Of course, I’m upset about it too, because I’ve gotten so many people into Earthbound and they really enjoy it… but I hate installing the emulator and getting the rom for friends because I want to buy it and I want to encourage others to buy it too. I’m trying to be optimistic about this, but we all know that Earthbound, if released today would have most of the content we love and enjoy in it. I know if it was released, with changes, I would still buy it because its the game I adore.

Well, time for ice cream.

Permafry_42 said on Jan. 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/itoi_shigesato CHECK OUT THE TWEET FROM 3 HOURS AGO! Google says that it translates to “I’m writing the manuscript of “greeting” about the “resurrection” of “MOTHER” too.”

Also has the monolith image here: http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/earthbound-wii-u-teaser-394×380.jpg been explained yet? Is it possibly a new mother game, and that it might be the reason for the sudden republishing efforts? That spaceship looks distinctly earthbound…

Justin said on Jan. 23, 2013

Some of us are getting discussions about this going on Miiverse. If you’re frustrated, come in and post a few yeahs in the Balloon Fight community. I’m Justin_Holmes. It could make a difference, or at least help you feel better.

Also, if we’ve got any of Miiverse’s many incredible artists reading this, maybe put up a great work on Nintendo Land or another huge community to try to get some attention? We’re just trying to get something going, guys!

Arekou said on Jan. 23, 2013

@Permafry_42
mmmm maybe they were saving it as a surprise :3 just like the New 3D Mario game XD

Tourist said on Jan. 23, 2013

No, monolift soft was another game simply labelled “X”. Did not look like Earthbound at all.

Maaaan… that Nintendo Direct was so incredible but this makes me disappointed. Thus, the power of Earthbound…

Permafry_42 said on Jan. 23, 2013

*edit I’m an idiot; the game it was referring to is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3QQfwgo1z8

PSIpunky said on Jan. 23, 2013

That’s a good idea, Miiverse, it’s time to draw and post…

Kam Burger said on Jan. 23, 2013

Tits game sux! Play more play more call of dooooty!

Ken said on Jan. 23, 2013

@Karm
Why not get a life? It’s free.

BahamutX83 said on Jan. 23, 2013

Best thing we can do now is be (more) patient. If the Japanese release is edited, that’ll be a good sign for the future. In the mean time, keep leaving messages on NoA’s Facebook, Itoi’s Twitter, etc.

Logically speaking, there will be a re-release some day. That day may just be really far away ;P

Bagels said on Jan. 23, 2013

*sighs* Well, I can’t say i wasnt expecting this, but that doesnt mean i wasnt hoping for more. AND I CAN STILL HOPE! Maybe we just wernt believing hard enough! EVERYONE BELIEVE!!!

Hyperstar96 said on Jan. 23, 2013

So this is definitely not leaving Japan?

Stay classy, NoA. I almost thought you had changed.

Zeether said on Jan. 23, 2013

This is when we start hounding NoA and tell them what for. If they’ve changed it for Japan to make it less of a licensing nightmare then surely we can have it too. Itoi knows there’s a fanbase here, and if NoA is being ignorant then we need to slap some sense into them.

Dusty Starr said on Jan. 23, 2013

@HyperStar: Where did you get that from? It might not be 100% confirmation for us out of Japan, but this is good news, because until this we did not even know if Mother 2 COULD come out onto the Virtual Console in any country. We will have to wait and see if anything is altered, but either way, it is good news. We just have to be patient, sadly.

I am a little sad because I let my imagination go wild at the thoughts of how the series could be rereleased, but Virtual Console rereleases are not a bad thing. :/ But that (3)DS compilation finally happened would have been awesome.

The Great Morgil said on Jan. 23, 2013

Just because it’s not part of the 30 cent thing over here, doesn’t mean i’m giving up hope that it can still show up on the U.S. VC at a later date, especially with all that stuff about Itoi becoming increasingly aware of overseas fans.

deshayzilla said on Jan. 23, 2013

Everyone needs to relax on this one. Sure it’s kinda a slap in the face that the place where Mother 2 is the cheapest to get for the SNES is getting a rerelease on Wii U VC for 30 Yen, but honestly when it comes to any news about Mother it’s a positive step in the right direction. I’m so happy that we have such great news about the series. We can’t be quick to get upset at NOA, We need to let them know that we applaud the decision. Mother 2 is not just getting a regular virtual console release, it’s getting the red carpet treatment. Not only does that show that someone at Nintendo cares about the game deeply, it shows they are willing to put this game on a pedestal with their best. We need to recognize this and sit back and smile, the future doesn’t seem so bleak after all.

deshayzilla said on Jan. 23, 2013

Doesn’t this just make you happy?

Mathieu said on Jan. 23, 2013

I don’t understand why people want the games released officially here, it doesn’t matter. It’s not making the games any more valid pieces of media if they’re sold piecemeal (Not in their intended forms if they’re to be censored) on Nintendo’s magical box. They’re arguably much more enjoyable because I don’t have the confines of a company telling me how to enjoy a game.

Ness1985 said on Jan. 23, 2013

I knew this would happen. See, I wasn’t gonna hold my breath. Welp, on to Ni No Kuni.

Skye said on Jan. 23, 2013

so yeah, this basically means that his big announcement was this little thing and it only seems to apply to Japan. Where they have every Mother game. And America and the rest of the world is left in the dust. Pretty fucking disappointed. Hope is gone.

DepartedSun said on Jan. 23, 2013

The Nintendo Direct also mentioned GBA games will be playable on the Wii U VC. There will always be hope!!!

Pokey Means Business said on Jan. 23, 2013

Umm….only on the Wii U? I’m rather upset, ESPECIALLY because it’s only in Japan, too.

What I was REALLY hoping for is some sort of Eshop/VC release on the Wii or 3DS for this game or the MOTHER series. :(

NtL said on Jan. 23, 2013

I can’t believe I got my hopes up for nothing… again. Serves me right, I should know better when it comes to this series. All of my optimism about this “republication” coming to the west just went down the toilet.

Runaway dog said on Jan. 23, 2013

I’m happy that Japan gets to enjoy the game again, but I will be honest and say that the fact that it wasn’t mentioned on the US Nintendo Direct ruined the whole conference for me. Not buying a Wii U until Earthbound is on the American VC. If that is never, so be it. Pretty disappointed, Nintendo.

kal said on Jan. 23, 2013

-Please release it worldwide
-How come not the regular Wii, it would be perfectly capable of handling it…

John said on Jan. 23, 2013

Japan gets Mother2 and we get….. fucking punch out…. with Mr. Dream. Why does Nintendo hate us?

Mato said on Jan. 23, 2013

Nintendo is trying to sell as many Wii Us as possible, so it only makes sense that it’d focus entirely on that rather than the old Wii.

Halloween said on Jan. 23, 2013

That’s cool I guess… I bet a lot of Japanese WiiU owners will buy this and have a great time… no, really, I’m happy for them…

Skye said on Jan. 23, 2013

It’s not Nintendo’s fault. What about Itoi? Why didn’t he just say he wanted to make it more playable IN JAPAN? He’s the one who got all our hopes up and just didn’t happen to mention that it was only for Japan. He teased every fan in every country outside of Japan with his tweets and this is just proof that we’ll never get anything. Fuck that guy. What a dick. He knew he wasn’t being specific as to WHERE it would be playable on purpose.

KingMike said on Jan. 23, 2013

Have the obligatory WE WON’T BE FOOLED AGAIN jokes been made yet? :D

And the whole “This game stinks” thing was a part of Nintendo’s misinterpreted idea of X-TREME 90S ATTITUDE!! (or at least how to respond to Sega’s memorable bad-attitude/aggressive ads)

Earthbounder said on Jan. 23, 2013

Man oh man that sucks for us

Blueflower999 said on Jan. 23, 2013

Man… what a let down…

Thedreaminghawk said on Jan. 23, 2013

NA Doesn’t get EB…

…And gets a crap game instead.

Radic said on Jan. 23, 2013

I’m only buying a Wii U if this will come to America.

Anonymouse said on Jan. 23, 2013

I want to move to another place where MOTHER is consistantly released internationally when games of any sorts come out. In this place, MOTHER will get some decent recognition well not being at Mario/ Pokemon/ CoD’s level of popularity. It will be well recieved nonetheless and make the company that makes it good money, and Mother 3 will not exist yet because there are still other games explaining what happened in between the games etc.. Oh, and fan-made Mother 4 games haven’t been ‘worked on’ yet either.

Buuuuut that won’t happen, so congratulations Japanese fans, tell me all about it! I’ll just sit here playing EB on the SNES I guess…

Max said on Jan. 23, 2013

The only way I would even THINK about buying a Wii U is if they released EarthBound on it–and even then, I’m not sure it would be worth it.

Starting to feel really glad that I bought a PSP 3000 instead of a 3DS.

boundearth said on Jan. 23, 2013

I, for one, am not going to force myself to be happy for Japan. Seriously, Mother has been re-released in Japan so many times so why would we have to be happy for them? Japan has received so many good games that never saw the light of day here, and you want me to feel happy for them? They have everything they need, and they don’t bat an eyelid toward American fans. Well, anyway, I was quite disappointed when I found out that this was the whole MOTHER revival thing. Perhaps this might be the start of something good? Well, we’ll just have to see.

Apple Kid said on Jan. 23, 2013

Man, I’m not disappointed about the Japanese only thing, cause no one has said so yet, just, I mean, only Mother 2? And on WiiU’s Vc to boot. Oh well, I guess it just won’t happen for me, at least WiiU owners have a chance of getting this. At least I have the $200+, now I’m broke ’cause I wanted this game, SNES version. I’ll tell the truth, I was one who wanted a complication on the 3ds.

Apple Kid said on Jan. 23, 2013

@boundearth It’s only been released once, on the gba.

PSIpunky said on Jan. 23, 2013

The weird thing is why only Mother 2? Since the GBA will have it’s own virtual console as well, maybe they want to have the Mother series on the Wii U. I don’t know… I’m conflicted by this.

I don’t know why you wanted to complicate things for the 3DS @Apple Kid.

Snesdude7 said on Jan. 23, 2013

What if everyone whos ever heard of earthbound started posting asking for it in the mother 2 community maybe Nintendo would see and release earthbound?

Max said on Jan. 23, 2013

I’d be interested to hear Mato’s thoughts on whether or not this would be ported to the states.

Apple Kid, I’m not shocked that it’s a VC release (I’ve been harping on that to an annoying degree), but I was a little surprised, I admit, that it’s only MOTHER 2. Especially since all three games have been released in Japan already.

I never bought into the idea that it would be a remake. Itoi didn’t do that with MOTHER 1+2 either. Doesn’t seem like his style. I think he believes in preserving the ability to play those old games, but isn’t interested in updating them or making more. VC fits into that attitude. And even then, I think he mostly evaluates things in terms of his homeland; he didn’t even seem to comprehend American MOTHER fans until he met Chewy.

Animegame97 said on Jan. 23, 2013

Mato, since the Mother Revival was just Mother 2 in Japan and nothing to do with Mother 3 will you be releasing the Mother 3 1.2 patch soon?

Mato said on Jan. 23, 2013

Yeah, I’m trying to decide what I’ll do now. While working on my translation notes (the latest page is up now but I haven’t proofread it yet) I’ve found more stuff that I’d like to fix. So I might wait until the notes are done (oh god that’ll be in 2095)

Just a Fan said on Jan. 23, 2013

This is not the time for disappointment. This is not the time for outrage. This is the time for hope, action, and enthusiasm. Here is our opening, one that parallels the Mother 3 release. It is our time to demonstrate our demand for a US/EU/AU release with the utmost earnest sincerity.

Nintendo has shown its responsiveness in listening its fans (Xenoblade, The Last Story, acknowledgment of Wii U problems in today’s Nintendo Direct, et al.). Let us organize, explain our wishes, and show Nintendo and Nintendo of America (and Europe, etc.) that our hopes of playing EarthBound (and Mother 3!) are not empty desires. We have an unrelenting love for the games, and we plan to demonstrate how localizing the game(s) for **at least** Wii U Virtual Console availability would be an excellent business decision.

Octibbles said on Jan. 23, 2013

I’m surprised at how many people seem to be getting upset at this, I think it’s great! Sure it’s for Japan only, but it’s one step closer to getting an American VC release. It makes it seem a little more tangible, and not just a hopeless dream. I mean, we’ve waited this long, I think we can just be happy that Mother 2 is seeing a VC release in Japan and wait a little longer.

Pak-Man said on Jan. 23, 2013

So if Mother 2 is getting a virtual console release in Japan, does that mean Nintendo’s remedied all the dicey potential copyright issues that keep them from releasing them up here?

David B. said on Jan. 23, 2013

I WANT to be optimistic, but the MOTHER 1+2 release is on my mind… Let’s hope we don’t get a repeat of that.

PepsiMax said on Jan. 23, 2013

Seriously, stop bitching about NOA-you’re making the rest of us Earthbound fans look like obnoxious little brats with nothing else going on in their life except for this one game. Don’t bombard him with letters, don’t make Youtube rants, just shut up and be happy anything got done at all. It’s entirely possible that most, if not all of NOA doesn’t even know of this yet.

Arekou said on Jan. 23, 2013

@Pepsimax
sorry but this is America, freedom of speech prevents people from being shut up, and what’s the problem about it? as long as it doesn’t harms them, I think it’s okay.

deshayzilla said on Jan. 23, 2013

Emailed nintendo earlier today about Earthbound this is what they sent back to me:

“Hello,

I can see why you want to see the Mother/Earthbound series released in the Americas, but at this time we have no plans to release them in this market, either on disc or via download.

I realize this is disappointing, but your comments have been documented and made available for other departments here to use as they see fit.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Maya Ellert”

Anonymous said on Jan. 23, 2013

I… I just…. I can’t even…. this… I….
…We have a chance, guys. Do you honestly think that it was pure coincidence that Itoi was mentioning overseas fans a few days ago and then this pops up? I agree, Octibbles. This is wonderful.
We can hope, right? I’ve always felt guilty about playing on an emulator, and I’ve never played EB before (just MOTHER 3) simply because I wouldn’t be able to stand playing EB on an emulator…. I’m gonna be a pollyanna about this. We FINALLY have a chance of this remarkable series being shown to a new generation, to new eyes, to my generation. Let’s hope. Let’s pray.
But in the meanwhile, Miiverse artists, get posting! Spread awareness, boing!

Douglas Vieira said on Jan. 23, 2013

@deshayzilla That’s… amazing, but not. How sad, here I was thinking that we would be able to play it on Wii or 3DS. =/

Hyperstar96 said on Jan. 23, 2013

@deshayzilla That’s the stock message for what they use whenever anyone asks about Mother.

NessPKrocks said on Jan. 23, 2013

We must create one more petition and call it Operation Melody, Operation Nightmare Rock, Operation Eagleland, Operation magicant, Operation Sound Stone, Operation Buzz Buzz’s revenge, Operation Smiles and Tears, or Operation Rockin, Just to name a few suggestions.

DelectaBit said on Jan. 23, 2013

@deshayzilla I sent them an email around Christmas and got that exact same response, almost word-for-word. Even though mine was answered by a different person. That’s pretty much their stock response. They’d say the same thing about anything that isn’t currently announced for release here.

Nightshade said on Jan. 23, 2013

Dissapointed? Not really. I’m actually happy. Japan getting Mother 2 on VC is a huge leap forward for our goal. Plus, we have to keep in mind something: the 30 yen thing is a celebration event. They want to sell the Wii U VC system to the consumers. That’s why it’s being sold for peanuts. For that same reason, they hand picked 7 iconic or popular games for each region. EarthBound didn’t get picked. So what? There’s not a single game in our 7 that doesn’t deserve to be in the list (Yes, even Balloon Fight). There’s plenty more games that should have made the list.

HOWEVER, that 30 cent thing? That’s only the tip of the iceberg. They said NOTHING about what they gonna release on Wii U VC once it’s officialy open. EarthBound COULD be in it sooner or later. Maybe it won’t happen, but now that Japan does, we’re a step closer from this happening. Also, if that Mother 2 VC release ends up being edited to counter the legal issues, that’s gonna be another step closer to the goal. As for the NoA usual response, it’s a default answer for everything that is still under NDA wether they are working on it or not.

Be dissapointed that it didn’t come out as part of the celebration event, but don’t give up on the chance of getting EB on VC just yet. We have never been this close from it happening.

Weadoe said on Jan. 23, 2013

@deshayzilla
That’s what they always say. Besides, they probably can’t make any anouncements until it’s really confirmed and if they change the legal stuff, (if there was any to begin with) pretty sure it’ll take longer. But we never know what’s happening. Maybe they’re gonna release it everywhere else at the same time.

Let’s just be hopeful.

Apple Kid said on Jan. 23, 2013

@Max I wasn’t shocked at the vc release, just a little (by little I mean very) dissatisfied by what happened, not that it would matter as I don’t own a WiiU or live in Japan (still pullin’ through for a western release though).

JamesBond007 said on Jan. 23, 2013

I’m always thinking about this – which person started spreading rumors about legal issues. Maybe an impatient gamer who made a comparison between the game’s soundtrack and some real songs? And NoA started to believe in those rumors? Maybe WE, GAMERS are “harming” the game itself by spreading those rumors?

We will see the truth after Japanese release. Maybe the game will be re-released unedited? And the true story will be “NoA was unhappy after EarthBound’s original release and decided to never release it again”.

Runaway dog said on Jan. 23, 2013

^The legal issues are true, not rumors. Look at the legal issues page, the comparisons between real songs are quite obvious. NOA would release Earthbound in a heartbeat if there were no legal issues. They aren’t out to get Earthbound fans.

The Great Morgil said on Jan. 23, 2013

^ not to mention it was confirmed by an insider source which specific songs needed to be changed (plus one enemy name).

JamesBond007 said on Jan. 23, 2013

^Sorry dude. This is only an analysis made by EBC’s staff. There are some news on multiple websites about that, but I haven’t seen any OFFICIAL confirmation from Nintendo itself. No official confirmation = only rumors for me.

NorthofOnett said on Jan. 23, 2013

GUYS
Nightshade nailed it right on the head. Read his post further up.

Oh and JamesBond007,
Read this, you doofus. Mato had an actual source who gave him the OK to list the specific legal issues. Obviously the source wanted to remain anonymous.

yani said on Jan. 23, 2013

please come to the states :(

PSY (PsiReaper) said on Jan. 23, 2013

All I know, time will tell. Sure it doesn’t mean that there’s going to be a international release (as much as you folks would really <3 to hear), but I bet there are other issue that are being worked on to hopefully to bring Earthbound to the Americas.

Just wait it out, and if it doesn't happen, well…there always the ZSNES…(or SNES)

PepsiMax said on Jan. 23, 2013

Just because you can say something, doesn’t mean you should, people. It’s a VC release. It being Mother2 really doesn’t make it special. Stop acting like victims of some elaborate scheme to deny you your precious games and get on with life.

LabrynianRebel said on Jan. 23, 2013

At least we’re getting the “Xenoblade Sequel or Spiritual Sequel” without a fan movement…

Prayer For Safety said on Jan. 24, 2013

@Nightshade I didn’t know they picked 7 iconic titles to launch the WiiU Virtual Console with. With that said I guess it makes scense why EarthBound wasn’t announced. After reading your comment, I actully got a little bit of hope now that we might see a VC rerelease after all.

Arekou said on Jan. 24, 2013

@Pepsimax
If you are so bothered then why don’t you do it yourself and let the others do whatever they want? does that hurts you so much?

The Great Morgil said on Jan. 24, 2013

@NorthofOnett
Thanks, i was trying to find the specific article.

Porky said on Jan. 24, 2013

Japan only? What a load of bollocks.

Midna said on Jan. 24, 2013

“Now you can finally play Mother 2 to your heart’s content. Unless you can’t read Japanese, in which case you’re screwed! Again! DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO”

Not surprised given NoA’s track record, but not going to cry about it either. It’s to be expected after a little under twenty years of disappointment. But I’m still pretty mad that the game’s poor sales – which are being blamed on people in the West simply not liking the game, which is patently intrue – were NoA’s fault to begin with. You cannot advertise a game based on its toilet humor and expect people to think it is anything but kiddie crap, especially if said jokes are mainly just found within the first third of the game. It doesn’t work that way.

It could be copyright issues too – hell, it probably is – but that’s likely also a contributing factor to why we aren’t getting anything for the foreseeable future.

Satsy said on Jan. 24, 2013

I find it interesting that this — THIS — is what people are so frustrated about right now. Most everyone here is going mental over the idea of EB on VC, and that we don’t have that yet. This is what you’ve all kept pushing for, all this time, to see the game you already got released again, via the VC.

You did this during the EB Siege, too.

Despite the fact that Mother 3 had not long been released.

Few were even pushing for it. What started as putting out requests for both games, politely and only once every few days, became a rabid spamming with only one goal. EB for VC. So, we got neither.

Now everyone’s going mad because it’s not (yet) been confirmed for the US VC.

——————————————————

I didn’t even care about the VC. I still don’t. Because I’m in one of those Countries that was never even supposed to see the game.

To be frank even if it did hit EU/AU VC, I’d probably still pass it up, because I have yet to see a good reason to fork out for a WiiU.

I’ve little doubt that the game will hit US VC, probably when you least suspect it. And when that happens, hooray and enjoy. If Japan get the other two, I’ll be happy for them, too. And really, that’s all I can do.

Not like I’ll ever be seeing them.

EarthBoundRules said on Jan. 24, 2013

@Satsy Not to seem mean or anything, but between saying you don’t care about a VC release, and your comment on another blog post where you liken MOTHER to a Lego set that you build your own creations out of, I wonder if you’re here for the same reasons that the rest of us are.

Satsy said on Jan. 24, 2013

Clearly not, because everyone else is raving over a VC release?

Max said on Jan. 24, 2013

I don’t see what’s bad about a VC release. I do, however, think not importing MOTHER 2 to the West–when it’s already been localized and translated–is fairly irritating (as a fan). As usual, though, it doesn’t matter what a few isolated people think; Nintendo makes business decisions in the interest of amassing capital. Maybe they’re still ironing out the kinks, and they ultimately plan to release it overseas. But they’ve obviously decided against that in the past.

Co-Wink-Key-Dink inc said on Jan. 24, 2013

@Hukky

Maybe the copyrights there don’t exist in Japan

JamesBond007 said on Jan. 24, 2013

@NorthofOnett
If the source is anonymous, then I’m still not convinced. Sorry dude, I’m a tough guy.

@Co-Wing-Key-Dink inc
Copyright do exist in Japan, but I’m hoping for unedited release.

NorthofOnett said on Jan. 24, 2013

No, you’re a stupid guy. A source is a source, even if its anonymous. Mato knows who the source is, he just can’t tell the rest of us. You really think Mato would lie to us all just to validate legal reasons that you believe he made up? Wow.

Anonymous said on Jan. 24, 2013

Here is the Japanese release schedule for the Virtual Console games.

February – Fire Emblem: Monshō no Nazo (Japan) instead of F-Zero
March – MOTHER 2 instead of Punch-Out!

Honestly, this makes me pretty mad.

Iwant said on Jan. 24, 2013

To be honnest, I don’t get why so many people feel so upset about the lack of a release outside of Japan. I mean, it’s not an original game or anything, it’s just a Virtual Console release. It’s nothing like a new experience we could miss out, it’s just the exact same game we’ve already played through using other means. Even if it did see an international release, I would find this “re-publication” unimpressive at best.

JamesBond007 said on Jan. 24, 2013

Even if “Tom Ato” knows the truth, keeping it in secrecy is pointless, because this keeps thousands of people annoyed. Better end these rumors by revealing the source with the entire conversation. Who is behind this? Which Nintendo-related person? Miyamoto? Itoi? Iwata? Reggie? Other?

Max said on Jan. 24, 2013

Mato doesn’t have to name anybody.

Mato said on Jan. 24, 2013

As I’ve said before, the source is someone Reid knows personally, not me.

FZ64 said on Jan. 24, 2013

On My birthday :D I was born a mother fan XD let just hope it will get out of japan…

MarioMario1009 said on Jan. 24, 2013

I’m already seeing lots of posts on the Balloon Fight Miiverse group of people posting EarthBound posts. (I’ve actually posted one too :P)

Anonymous said on Jan. 24, 2013

I’m only kind of annoyed that it’s for the Wii U VC. I’m not gonna fork out money for a Wii U to play Earthbound on. If they made it available for download for the 3DS however the opposite would be true, and it’d be a dream come true.

PSIpunky said on Jan. 24, 2013

I’ve drawn two posts… one of the Mother logo and a Mr. Saturn crying saying: Not coming to America… Don’t be sad Kay-o?

I also did it in the Saturn font. -_____-

Thedreaminhawk said on Jan. 24, 2013

This announcement came on my birthday…. And I just posted TEN comments on miiverse communitites over this. If Mother 2 in japan can be rereleased, it has to be in america as well.

Apple Kid said on Jan. 24, 2013

You’re all forgetting one thing: Japan’s copyright laws are different than America’s or England’s.

skyrunner14 said on Jan. 24, 2013

And of course the game’s getting released on the Japanese VC… on my birthday…

Happy birthday to me… :/

Chewy said on Jan. 24, 2013

I’m relieved to see we have so many market experts here.

johnr754 said on Jan. 24, 2013

> Itoi mentions republication
> Gets released in VC…only in Japan.

It’s a step up from what it was originally.

At least it’s not MOTHER 1+2.

But, still. We get F-Zero and Punch-Out! instead of Fire Emblem 3 and…sigh…MOTHER 2.

This CAN be something good. At least it’s on VC…like what Iwata said in 2005 about VC…

…I’m crying myself to asleep.

KillerSpecialK said on Jan. 24, 2013

I am super excited for Japanese fans being able to play this on the big screen again. Play a little for me, Japan! I am also kinda heart broken. While this is a step in the right direction for release in other countries, I still feel like it doesn’t matter. I’m trying not to be negative and have hope for the future, but its really hard these days.

Also, I have no current plans to buy a Wii U unless a version of Mother comes to the US. Then I will be forced to support the series I hold so close to my heart. Oh, I guess I can play some other games on it too…

Gradon said on Jan. 24, 2013

If it counts for anything be thankful that they picked Mother 2 over Mother 1 (which doesn’t make much sense sales wise), if its anything it means it’s possible.
For already having a translated version, it could be released after this Famicon special is over.

Anonymous said on Jan. 24, 2013

One of the #1 reasons why I’d like EB on ANY kind of VC, be it on the 3DS or on the Wii U, is so that this generation of gamers can experience the masterpiece that is MOTHER. We should all know the impact that this game can make on the young gamer’s life–after finishing EB, I looked at the whole world differently, in a better way. Just because you’ve played EB, or have the cartridge and system doesn’t mean that everyone else has, especially younger people who missed the EarthBound-train and hopped on board the FPS-train instead. Not enough people know about MOTHER to my liking. If it gets re-released in the states and released for the first time in Europe, not only will old-school gamers be re-introduced to it, but new gamers, i.e. the younger gamers will be introduced to it as well. And that’ll make an impact. Not only will it be “that game that Ness from Smash Bros is from, right?” but it’ll hopefully become “that amazing game that had so much detail and heart put into it it’s impossible to describe in a few words.”
So I’m happy for Japan. A new generation of japanese gamers can experience the series we all love and hold dear. Europe would be an added bonus, along with America.

Paul said on Jan. 25, 2013

Something puzzles me. They had the demo of Mother 2 on the Japanese version of SSBB (2008), which suggested that they intended to release Mother 2 on the Japanese VC around that time.

I wonder why it was delayed five years?

TBird said on Jan. 25, 2013

Possibly the same copyright problems they had in the US. I wouldn’t be surprised if Japan’s laws on sound sampling has changed since the 90s too. I guess we’ll see if there’s changes made to the music when it’s out in Japan.

Tourist said on Jan. 25, 2013

Someone may have already pointed this out but I still think that Earthbound will see a release on Wii U VC. If changes have been made to release the Japanese version… same can be done overseas.
Also, the only confirmation we have on things is it’s not a part of our 30 cents 30 year famicom aniversary; and there’s good reason for that. We’ve been paying hundreds of dollars on used Earthbound carts… Nintendo knows we’re willing to pay. It’s just not good business sense to offer it at normal VC prices instead of for just 30 cents. Who knows? Maybe it’ll be in the launch lineup.

yugimumoto1 said on Jan. 25, 2013

Macbook vs. Wii U
hmmm…
sorry to say i’ll go with a macbook since i own all three ROMS. Itoi has to make a MOTHER 4 to change my mind.
this doesn’t mean i don’t want a wii u, i just could go around it.

Mr Molecule said on Jan. 25, 2013

Well i guess our greatest hope is for the Japanese Wii U release to be edited. if it is edited, it will probably come to us shores.

Crazy Misty said on Jan. 25, 2013

OH BOY, MOTHER 2 ON THE VC HELL YEAH!

Wait….Wii U vc?

…..

Welp back to playing roms then :v

Alexis said on Jan. 25, 2013

Too bad I don’t have a Wii U … because this was, even if there was even a slight chance US would get it, I still can’t touch it without a Wii U. Oh well. I’m happy for them. I hope our Japanese brothers and sisters will enjoy the release for me…

BOX said on Jan. 25, 2013

Well, given that the Nintendo Direct announcements for the US skipped over Earthbound, I’m no longer pretending to hold my breath for a VC release here. It’s just the same story, again.

MotherBound said on Jan. 25, 2013

If Earthbound gets a release on the International Wii U VC, just watch as it is $100.

Anonymous said on Jan. 25, 2013

I really hate how this is Japan only. To be honest I’m not going to hold out any hope that we’ll see a VC rerelease on some later date. It just feels like doing that would be a waste of time, especially since it seems that Nintendo already made their mind up on whether or not we get a rerelease. I’m really suprised Itoi hasn’t responded to any of the tweets hes gotten about the chances of us getting a rerelease, but I guess he doesn’t want to break the bad news to anyone. But either way I feel we deserve a straight answer from someone, but ofcourse we won’t be getting one :(

2Sang said on Jan. 25, 2013

This is pretty much the nail in the coffin if this doesn’t come to the US. I honestly thought that we were going to get something. After over a decade of fighting for earthbound, I’ve lost nearly all hope.

Prayer For Saftey said on Jan. 25, 2013

EB fan sieges, emails, and phonecalls was absorbed………………..by the darkness.

PSIpunky said on Jan. 25, 2013

“Ness! Ah, Grrr, Ohhh… Argh… Yaaagh!… It’s not right… not right…
not right…”

Darkness indeed. We need some some sort news in the least.

FZ64 said on Jan. 25, 2013

i’m going to see if this comes out of japan because i’m tired of using ROMS :/

EBisumaru said on Jan. 25, 2013

Chill out guys, I know you’re bummed about this… But Tomato and Jeffman freakin’ translated Mother 3! There are still things to be happy about.

mmm said on Jan. 26, 2013

I’m under the impression the whole “copyright issue” thing was kinda just shat out to distract/placate fans. I don’t really buy it because sampling/referential material isn’t grounds for copyright infringement. It just smacks of bullshit to me.

2sang said on Jan. 26, 2013

Its over. We have lost. Continue? No. Game over.

Anonymous said on Jan. 26, 2013

No more ROMS please. No more. My MOTHER 3 game crashed and deleted nearly all my save data…. ….I was at chapter 8 and it crashed, sending me back to the prologue…. (This being my second playthough, by the way.)

WOULD IT KILL TO RELEASE EB ON THE VC IN EUROPE AND AMERICA?

Permafry_42 said on Jan. 27, 2013

Please feature this Earthbound Petition on your website so we can get as much attention for it as possible!

BB Gang Zombie said on Jan. 27, 2013

I wish people would relax a little and not be so quick to point fingers and sign petitions before there’s even any proof that nobody is getting it… I don’t think Itoi’s interest and tweets toward overseas fans is just there for no reason.

Also, Mato, I think there should be a swear filter that replaces “Reggie” with “Asparagus,” since so many EarthBound fans are pointing at the lesser of two evils. I’m onto you, asparagus–you and your mind games…

Mill said on Jan. 27, 2013

It took 5 years before the folks who played the Japanese Brawl demo could actually buy the game. I guess that’s what you call super-early advertising.

Giygas said on Jan. 27, 2013

Even if it does get released in NA, I still won’t be able to play it because I have no Wii U. Hopefully if Earthbound comes it gets released on the 3DS.

Johnny said on Jan. 27, 2013

Here is how I look at this. The reason EarthBound wasn’t shown was because it was not popular here in the west. So i think there’s a chance it could be released still.

NintendoFan122 said on Jan. 28, 2013

In REPLY TO THE COMMENT BELOW ME

IF IT’S ONLY JAPAN THAT DOESN’T MEAN ANYTHING GOOD
FOR THE USA DOES IT

Mr. E. Goods said on Jan. 30, 2013

If the Virtual Console release does somehow make it overseas, a whole new world of possibilities will open. If not, it will be pretty apparent that it’s completely dead over here and has no we have no chance.

Mr. E. Goods said on Jan. 30, 2013

And please stop blaming asparagus… It’s not fare to him and his zombie face.

Apple Kid said on Jan. 30, 2013

If only the “Mother” revival was something bigger, I might’ve gotten a WiiU. At least my Uncle can enjoy this, if it comes to the grand ol’ U.S. of A.

Just call me daddy! said on Jan. 31, 2013

I know itd cost only a few hundred dollars at the MOST (which is probably throw away money for Nintendo) to fix Earthbounds issues. And if they did they’d easily make back they’re money in the first 10 seconds Earthbound is on VC

Radic said on Jan. 31, 2013

deshayzilla said on Jan. 23, 2013

“Hello,

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Maya Ellert”

They have had that up since 2008, word from word, they are due to change it.

Meowcats said on Feb. 1, 2013

YOU CANNOT COMPREHEND THE TRUE FORM OF COPYRIGHT!

JEFFREY said on Feb. 1, 2013

Hey MeowCats TASTE PK ROCKIN’ Σ (JEFFREY Tried PK ROCKIN’ Σ) Dominated Ya Freaking Campy Weasel! (TF2 Referrence)

Anonymous said on Feb. 3, 2013

E3 2013, anybody?

Itoi said on Feb. 6, 2013

I dont know what you guys are having such a fuss about. Mother 2 is so much fun to play….oh…your’re a bunch of Americans and Europeans…..Oh….my bad…

anon said on Feb. 6, 2013

Itoi doesn’t even speak english. Nice job.

KC~ said on Feb. 14, 2013

@Itoi TROLL ALERT!
Anyway I’ve done my fair share of “Yeah!”-ing every EB post that I’ve seen and I plan to spam the Wii U communities with more of my own ^_^

Sable said on Feb. 19, 2013

YEAH!
EVEN THOUGH I’M NOT BILINGUAL I AM STILL VERY HAPPY.
:D

Anonymous said on Mar. 2, 2013

Once this comes out in a few weeks, how are we going to be able to know if the changes were made?

AquaKawwi said on Mar. 14, 2013