December 23rd, 2012 | Images, Itoi

Lately there’s been some rumblings in Japan of building up an army again, which has lots of people there worried, of course. As a result, an old anti-war ad by Shigesato Itoi from the 80s has been making the rounds on Japanese sites again in this new context:

itoiad

It says: “After you, Prime Minister.” (lit: “The Prime Minister shall step up to the front-lines first.”) The ad was designed by famous art director Katsumi Asaba too.

It’s really strange and interesting how many things Itoi has been involved with and how his works continue to live on over the years.

For more details on Itoi and his past works that don’t necessarily involve MOTHER, see Chewy’s excellent article here!

10 Comments to Shigesato Itoi’s Anti-War Ad

Co-Wink-Key-Dink inc said on Dec. 23, 2012

Who protects Japan if they don’t have an army?

Mato said on Dec. 23, 2012

As a sort of loophole it created a “Self-Defense Force” rather than an army: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Self-Defense_Forces

And the U.S. military has a big presence there too, of course.

Arak said on Dec. 23, 2012

Just to point out, countries without armies do exist:

MrKoopan said on Dec. 23, 2012

I never knew they had defense forces like that, that’s really cool, it’s always been something I questioned about japan..nice

PepsiMax said on Dec. 23, 2012

I can understand them wanting a force, but we protect them well.

Sam said on Dec. 23, 2012

Wow, stick it to the man Itoi!

NecrosaroIII said on Dec. 23, 2012

The SDF is pretty well funded btw. It’s not some dinky force like some would lead you to believe.

Mr. Tenda said on Dec. 23, 2012

Damn, Itoi makes big balls phone calls calling out the PM. Shots officially fired!

Anonymous said on Dec. 26, 2012

this doesn’t surprise me since the liberal democratic party (which is actually conservative) won the last election

Anonymous said on Dec. 26, 2012

• vince94: I bet the translators and localizers didn’t know about/hadn’t played EB0. That’s understandable, as I remember from an...
  • ninten: The white people of the translation foreigner I’m sorry. I’m Japanese. And will not be pardon. I be waiting.
  • ChozoBoy: Does anybody have an image of the colored Mr. Saturn by Itoi?
  • MagicCakeRyuka: If the Mother series was released in 2015 then it would make fans thrilled and my hopes for ness and lucas in the new ssb game.
  • Anonymous: I wish Mother 2 was out already on the 3ds >.<