December 13th, 2012 | EarthBound, MOTHER 1, MOTHER 3, Polls

Today we have just a simple little poll: which ending in the MOTHER series did you enjoy the most?

(MOTHER 1 and EarthBound Zero had slightly different endings but let’s just group them as one for simplicity’s sake)

POLL: Which ending in the MOTHER series did you enjoy the most?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

31 Comments to Poll: Best MOTHER Series Ending

LadyStarstorm said on Dec. 13, 2012

Very interesting.

A lot of people I think are going to say M3 because of how emotional the final battle was, but I feel like the ending itself (with the black screen and not really knowing what happened etc.) was kind of a let-down.

In M2 not only was the final battle really emotional and stressful, but then the ending sequence (getting to talk to everyone and personally experience the aftermath while “Because I Love You” played) was a much deeper experience IMO.

It gave a really mixed feeling of relief from the world being saved and the kids getting their bodies back, happiness at the kids getting to have a normal life again, and sadness that the game was over and that some characters might not see each other again.

Gaffer Tape said on Dec. 13, 2012

As underrated a game I feel the first Mother is, the endings of its sequels blow it out of the water, but I had a very difficult time choosing between 2 or 3, as I love both of them. I ultimately ended up choosing 2. While 3′s ending is more emotionally satisfying, 2′s is just so much fun. I love being able to explore the entire game world at my leisure, and the end credits being your own collection of photographs makes YOU, the player, feel so important and involved. It’s just an ending sequence that gives me the warm fuzzies every time.

Picky said on Dec. 13, 2012

As I’m sure a lot of other people are going to say, I chose Mother 2′s ending because I loved being able to revisit all the locations, hear new dialogue, and ride my bike in the swamp of Deep Darkness. I also loved the second half of the credits. The photos always made me feel like I was actually looking through a photo album, reliving a great vacation.

I don’t remember much about the ending in Mother other than your father showing up after the credits and suggesting that there will be another game. The end of Magicant actually left a much greater impression on me. Mother 3′s ending was a mild (and I emphasize mild, I still enjoyed it) disappointment. I didn’t have any problems with what happened in terms of the story, but I would have like to have actually seen the characters one last time.

Neko Knight said on Dec. 13, 2012

If I had to pick which ending I thought was BEST, I would choose MOTHER 3.
But if I had to pick which ending I ENJOYED the most, I would choose MOTHER 2.

Tourist said on Dec. 13, 2012

Definitely Mother 2. It let’s you walk around and visit/talk to everybody and it let’s you end the game when YOU want to (by going home). Mother 3′s ending was very lackluster.

Punky said on Dec. 13, 2012

I agree with LadyStarStorm. M2 was unique in its own way. M3 was as well, but I personally liked M2.

Rhyselinn said on Dec. 13, 2012

*mild spoilers*

Earthbound has the best ending. Saving the world and exploring, seeing what happened to everyone from the adventure, was really awesome. Then you go home and look through a picture book of your adventure- doesn’t get much better than that! Every plot hole tied up, every character accounted for. (well, except one… sequel hook!) THAT’S how you do an ending. :)

I really liked Earthbound Zero’s ending as well. I liked seeing everyone get simple little happy endings, and Ninten going to sleep after a long adventure was a nice touch. Didn’t blow me out of the water or anything, but it was pretty good.

I actually hated Mother 3′s ending. (not the final battle- final battle was well done. Everything after that.) I won’t spoil too much stuff for people who haven’t played it, but it felt like a Deus Ex Machina that could have been executed a lot better… :S The credits helped make up for it some, but as a whole it left me feeling like the game wasn’t finished yet, because we didn’t quite have an ending for everyone. Just some disembodied voices, shrouded in darkness, claiming they had miraculously survived a catastrophe. No tied up loose ends? What HAPPENS to these people? For the final entry in a series, not cool. :(

Those are just my thoughts.

LucasPSI said on Dec. 13, 2012

I like Mother 3′s ending the best. Sure we don’t get to do anything like revisit all the locations again, or even know what the hell happened, but when the song “phantasmagoric” plays as the camera zooms over the nowhere islands, only for it to show castle Osohe sink into the ground… that’s what made love Mother 3′s ending. To this day I still don’t understand why everyone hates it. I feel like i’m the only one who doesn’t. ;__;

It’s mysterious and sad, yet you know everything turned out just the way it was suppose to in the end.

and than what really takes the cake is after the credit the screen goes black. then to white, and everything is silent. Then the Mother 3 logo appears on screen but this time with all the metal gone and we can see the earth on the logo. and even better, one of my all time favorite songs play. “Memory of life”! :)

Earthbounder said on Dec. 13, 2012

^
Mother 3s ending is mysterious and sad, but thats doesnt make it better. It NEEDS the other 2 games to feel like an ending. Mother 2 on the other hand has an amazing ending whether playing the other 2 games or letting it be its own stand alone game! It actually felt completed, unlike mother 1 and 3 with left off cliff hanger like endings.

HpBoost said on Dec. 13, 2012

EarthBound will always be my favorite game, but Mother 3 did have a better story. The ending was amazing, and the post-credits screen was an interesting artistic choice that I really enjoyed.

HpBoost said on Dec. 13, 2012

Though, I will admit that the open-world ending of EB was very, very satisfying.

SushiGummy said on Dec. 13, 2012

Darn it with you guys, that’s like making me choose between my own children.

When it comes to bosses, both Earthbound and Mother 3 had mind-blowing final bosses. I liked Mother 3′s final boss better, though.

As for the after-events, Earthbound simply has more available in terms of enjoyment and story.

kenisu said on Dec. 13, 2012

Ooh, looks like MOTHER 2 and 3 are having a square-off.

While I voted for MOTHER 2, the presence of the “Phantasmagoric” scene at the end of 3 made my decision pretty tough. I just love the soundtrack dissonance there, that slow, calming piece juxtaposed against the world falling apart.

Chris said on Dec. 13, 2012

Really surprised so many people didn’t like Mother 3′s ending. I thought it was so unique and powerful. What a great punctuation to the game.

Radiostorm said on Dec. 13, 2012

I have too must nostalgia for the EarthBound ending to vote any other way. Exploring the world after you’ve saved it is just too satisfying.

Satsy said on Dec. 13, 2012

I wasn’t a fan of Mother 3′s ending because it wasn’t really unique. The power it carried — for me — was dampened by the vast amounts of manga and anime I read which pull plot points like that quite regularly. While I know these games are built on clichés, those are usually built up from Western media, and didn’t pull that kind of stunt for the ending. It completely ruined the mood for me.

While EarthBound’s ending did lose impact on me because I’d read about aspects of it, my gut still lurched as the screen remained dark for just a second too long for my comfort. It was a true sense of pulling you in, through the fear of the frailty of your console, or your game. A very real sense of loss you’re hit with, for just a second, before the game kicks back in. The ‘death’ of the characters, and the ‘death’ of the game, give you a great sense of relief when the screen comes back, and their souls depart for home.

That’s just me, though.

spookattle said on Dec. 13, 2012

Hmmm this is really hard, and I guess depends on when you consider the ending starting. I loved in Earthboud when you put your souls in robot bodies and travel back to the past, and I loved when you use the pray command to defeat the final boss, and I loved the TV going to static and making scary noises. But then you magically come back to your own time and the day is saved, which is a tiny bit ‘huh ok yay.’ Still 10/10 ending.
Then in Mother 3 you’ve got a lot more solid emotions going on during the final battle, and things that were set up from chapter one are coming in and it’s flashing back and it’s so emotional. But then you pull the last needle that awakens the dragon or whatever, which kinda came out of left field to begin with. Then the world gets reset or something? To be honest I only beat Mother 3 once and it was a while ago but I feel like I was crying a lot more during the ending of that one. The very last screen was cool too.

Anonymous said on Dec. 13, 2012

I voted for M2. The final battle of M3 was great, and after that it was ok.

M2′s final battle wasn’t as good imo but it was still great, but the post-final-battle sequence was better imo.

Burglin Pork said on Dec. 13, 2012

I voted for the first game, because you get to see Teddy sing on stage!

asdf said on Dec. 13, 2012

Mother 3′s ending was extremely disappointing to me. I hated the way it just abruptly ended, looked like everyone died, and then some text on a black screen just says, guess what? Everyone lived! Yay! Even more disappointing than Mass Effect 3′s ending.

Mrs. Saturn said on Dec. 14, 2012

I voted for Mother 2, but that’s really only because I have way too much nostalgia for EarthBound (had so much fun in that open-world environment as a kid). I agree with Neko Knight that Mother 3 probably has the best ending. (After all, EB’s ending never made me cry…)

Mr. Tenda said on Dec. 14, 2012

The poll won’t work for me, it just says “Loading…” when I try to vote.

Pepper said on Dec. 14, 2012

It was very hard to decide. Both Mother 2 and 3′s endings evoked strong emotions from me for different reasons and I loved them both. I always enjoyed the contrast between the chaotic Giygas fight and the sudden calm afterward. It was so satisfying revisiting all of the towns with Paula as well. I guess it left me feeling hopeful?

I’m with Kenisu in regards to the Mother 3 ending. I love that final screen. For some reason I’ve always liked that the ending was somewhat ambiguous but have never been able to pinpoint why. I do like to imagine what life was like afterward–with Lucas being my favorite character I often wonder what happened. It brings the trilogy to a close but still leaves a bit of the mystery. It left me thinking.

I voted for Earthbound in the end but it could easily be either one for me.

Gabriel said on Dec. 14, 2012

I’m gonna have to go with Mother 2/EarthBound on this one. The ability to walk all over the world, no enemes, and talk to everybody, see how nice everything is now? That was incredible. It’s an ending worth fighting for to be sure.

Rusty Shackleford said on Dec. 14, 2012

I accidentally voted for Mother 3 instead of Mother 1. Yeah, that’s right. Mother 1 has always been my favorite, and I just like how the ending shows what happened afterwards, etc. Plus, it’s my favorite Mother game.

And yes, I meant Eartbound Zero’s ending, not actually Mother 1. If it weren’t both by asking EB0/M1, I would have easily chosen Mother 3.

Kraken of the sea said on Dec. 15, 2012

Earthbound Zero’s ending the best!!

EB912 said on Dec. 16, 2012

Earthbound Zero!

Hockey said on Dec. 16, 2012

Earthbound 0 was the only one that actually *had* a clear ending.

Anonymous said on Dec. 17, 2012

I like Mother 3 ending

Krikonn said on Jan. 13, 2013

i voted for mother 3′s ending, mainly because mother 3 is the only video game that’s ever made me cry. and until then, i thought only real tragedies could affect me in that way, so that really caught me off guard and made a significant impact. the things that really got me were when claus hugs lucas after committing suicide, and when the characters in the black “END?” screen start talking about the real world.
earthbound’s ending was a lot more fulfilling and gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling, but mother 3′s ending seemed to carry a lot more meaning and expand the events of the game into the real world, which i really dig. i haven’t played mother so i can’t really compare with that one.

Mrpinci19 said on Jan. 22, 2013