Earthbound (Super Nintendo SNES, 1995) Tested cleaned working saves f

December 31st, 2012 | MOTHER 3

statue

It’s New Year’s Eve!

For whatever reason, that phrase always reminds me of the New Year’s Eve Bomb in MOTHER 3 now, so a new thing I’ve started doing is the “New Year’s MOTHER 3 Challenge”, which is basically trying to fight the giant Porky statue in New Pork City for as long as possible without using the New Year’s Eve Bomb (or PK Flash).

As far as I know, no one’s been able to defeat it normally without resorting to the bomb or PK Flash… which is perfect for a challenge! I seem to recall someone calculating how long it would take to win and how impossible it would be, but someday there’s gonna be some crazy guy who’ll pull it off somehow, I just know it.

So if you got some spare time today, try fighting the giant Porky statue for as long as possible and see how far you can get! And share your tips/experiences in the comments! Together, we CAN make a difference.

21 Comments to New Year’s MOTHER 3 Challenge

Mel said on Dec. 31, 2012

Now THIS, I gotta try.

Miles of SmashWiki said on Dec. 31, 2012

I saw this video before, and I get the feeling that even without the glitching up it would have taken much, much, much longer despite all the hacks to speed up the process.

Anonymous said on Dec. 31, 2012

Apparently, it gives out more exp if you deal more damage without the NYE bomb. I’m not sure, though. I’d need a savestate/froggy save near it to test it out, which I currently don’t have.

Matteomax said on Dec. 31, 2012

Hnngh, I tried this on an old save, but failed. My party was actually overleveled at the time.
PK Ground would be your best bet.

NorthofOnett said on Dec. 31, 2012

I’d think that defeating it with PK Flash would be a challenge in and of itself!
I don’t think it’s humanly possible to beat it without either the bomb or Flash. It’s health is literally 1 million HP!

Ness1985 said on Dec. 31, 2012

^1 million it would be possible…maybe, but still ridiculous. His HP is actually 100 million, it is impossible. The only thing you could do is see who lasts the longest.

Anonymous said on Dec. 31, 2012

for some reason, i never fought the porky statue… I saw it, but could never get to fight it.

Anonymous said on Dec. 31, 2012

i can´t play mother 3 im sooo sad :( the charger of the computer is broken….my whis for this new years eve is play mother 3 and nintendo show more details about the mother project :º(

Kuwanger said on Dec. 31, 2012

Sounds like something perfect for a TAS challenge and using and a script bot to optimize luck/attacks. And yea, I know that takes away the fun, just like Penn & Teller’s Desert Bus sim. Then again, I imagine a script bot should be made to play sub optimal–ie, it wouldn’t be allowed to cheat by having foreknowledge of the random seed or the algorithm used for attack; I think that a few hundred runs of that would probably give you at least a vague idea of just how viable the whole idea really is. :/

naja said on Dec. 31, 2012

I’m currently farming rare drops in M2 on my GBA, and the file I had on the M3 cart isn’t near NPC yet, my file on the emulator is already finished… so I’ll have to try that some other time, but I hope someone manages to do it.

LakituAl said on Dec. 31, 2012

This is just some quick thinking, so this plan I’m about to tell must have a big BIG flaw in it, but… Maybe having only Kumatora and Lucas alive to speed up the turns, use PK Ground and Refresh? Keep spamming PK Ground while Lucas gives Kumatora Magic Cake and use Refresh every other turn as necessary…? I dunno, that’s all I can think of. If I recall correctly, PK Ground deals damage relative to a Boss’ HP, after all.

Apple Kid said on Dec. 31, 2012

I am pretty sure that it is impossible to do without the New Years Bomb (or Pk Flash). And even if it was it would take an extremely long time to do. I could be wrong though, after all you can’t be sure if you don’t try it.

Gaffer Tape said on Dec. 31, 2012

@Anonymous: You can’t fight the Porky statue when you first enter New Pork City. Only after you exit the sewers can you fight it.

TalonKhan said on Jan. 1, 2013

Well I’m holding out on calling it happy for the time being so…New year everyone :3

Starstormer said on Jan. 1, 2013

Seeing how the second highest hp stat any boss has is still under 10,000 I’d be really surprised if anyone can beat a boss with 100,000,000 hp. Still can’t stop people from trying.

BusterTheFox said on Jan. 1, 2013

My options, they feel somewhat limited.

LakituAl said on Jan. 1, 2013

That plan I talked about? FORGET IT. PK Ground misses. Bad times were had. XDD

FZ64 said on Jan. 2, 2013

i tried but the game crashed all well…

spiderfreak1011 said on Jan. 3, 2013

@Anonymous If you have a VBA you can still use savestates. Just press Shift and one of the F keys(like F1, F2, etc.) to save a state (and to reload a certain state, well lets say if you saved the state with the F1 key then press the f1 key).

KillerSpecialK said on Jan. 4, 2013

LOL, not happening! I lasted about 30 min before I said F it and just started messing around.

Diehardboundie124 said on Jan. 4, 2013

Fifty minutes. FIFTY MINUTES. That’s how far I got.

Find Merchandise!