December 1st, 2012 | EarthBound, Hacking

H.S recently posted an updated map for the MOTHER remake ROM hack that’s in progress. Many attempts have been made at remaking Mother’s Day/Podunk, but this is by far THE best one so far:

For reference, here’s what it looks like in the original game:

Man, H.S’s map work never ceases to amaze me. I wish I had a map pic to share from when I was working on the remake hack, it was pretty bad. All I have is this bare-bones map from when I was just setting things up. But in all honesty, my map skills didn’t improve much beyond that 😛

As always, if you want to keep tabs on the remake hack project, check out this forum thread!

12 Comments to MOTHER Remake Hack: Mother’s Day

gBev said on Dec. 1, 2012

The picture from the hack doesn’t seem to be there? I only see the original version.

Apple Kid said on Dec. 1, 2012

Looks nice. I can’t wait for this to come out! Good luck, I know hacking can be tough, but you can’t give up.

Jason said on Dec. 1, 2012

The map is towards the end of page 14 of the thread.

Fantastic work!

PiePusher11 said on Dec. 1, 2012

It’s great to see that there’s still work being done on this hack! I haven’t heard anything about it in a while, and I’m really looking forward to playing it! Personally, I would prefer to see the EB0 names (Podunk, Merrysville, Ellay, etc), rather than the translation patch names, but, still, that looks really good, and I can’t wait to play it!

NorthofOnett said on Dec. 1, 2012

Nah, man. This is technically a Mother remake, not an EB0 remake. Those weren’t names from Mato’s translation, that’s what the towns were actually called in the original Famicom game. Personally, I like Mother’s names better because they have charm being named after holidays and such.

gwalms said on Dec. 1, 2012

I also prefer the EB0 names. I can’t wait for this hack though. Mother is just too ugly with the NES graphics. Js

Crav said on Dec. 1, 2012

Originally, this WAS an EB0 remake though, so that explaination doesn’t really make sense. I think the choice was made when we switched to Mato’s script?
Though not that even that makes a whole lot of sense, because it’s not like it would be hard to just swap out the names as needed.

Not that I’m complaining, I just think it’s funny how it just sorta happened.

resetsurvivor said on Dec. 1, 2012

Wow! That map looks super rad! … but please don’t forget about the dog house.

Ice Sage said on Dec. 2, 2012

I’m pretty sure H.S. is planning on making an actual sprite for the doghouse (due to tile limitations) that’ll be used here and on the island north of Valentine.

eruditebound said on Dec. 3, 2012

Wow you actually mean to make a remake but how long will it really take?

Crav said on Dec. 3, 2012

^Well, pretty much all of the overworld maps are finished now, as well as all of the spriting and almost all of the music.
That leaves the indoor maps, Enemy and item creation and balancing, adding the game script, and coding the events that make the game an actual game.
It’s not my place to say how long it’ll take, but at least that’ll give you a decent idea of where the project currently stands.

Pkstarfox said on Dec. 4, 2012

I can’t wait for this hack to be done, its gonna be soooooooo good! ^_^