MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10

December 7th, 2012 | EarthBound, Images, MOTHER 3, Videos

I’ve fallen behind again on my e-mail submission queue, so it’s time to hit the Megathon button once more! I actually need to hit it like 100 more times (I have submissions going back to 2009!) but for now let’s look at some more recent submissions!

EarthBound Christmas Game

AcePsycho sent:

While I was looking through some of my old Game Maker games, I found an old Christmas themed Earthbound game that I had given up on a long time ago. I decide to polish it up a bit and make a video about it. Also, since it’s almost Christmas, I thought it would be appropriate to at least finish it.

EarthBound Sound Effect in Video

I’m not sure if this is completely relevant but I clearly hear earthbound sound effects in this video!

Mr Rex sent in:

Most noticably the statuseffects and magic butterfly sounds!

Scaraba Beat

PKH4X0R says:

the beat to this song is almost 100% the same as scaraba theme… odd.

Working on an EarthBound Musical

TalentNinjaInc sent in:

Hiya there!

I’ve always been enticed by EB’s fan community I think because of their great characterizations of these little blobs of pixel that we see in Earthbound.

The Chosen for Comic, for example, adds amazing personality to each character in the game.

Drawing inspiration from that and partly from my own experiences, I’ve decided a Musical version of Earthbound (No matter how cliche it sounds) Would be an excellent idea.

Link

I’ve began writing, but I have barley gotten noticed on the forums, and I need as MUCH help as possible before we can move into the voice casting stages.

We need the support of you and the EB fans!

MOTHER 2 Concert Videos

Octibbles said:

So you said that you couldn’t find any videos of the Mother 2 live concert earlier, but thankfully I found some! They’re the individual songs. Here’s the links:

Saturn Valley: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19485001
Pollyanna: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19461150
Twoson: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19461589
Fourside: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19484657
Because I Love You: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19461720
Smiles and Tears: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19484425

If anyone can put these on YouTube that’d help out a lot. That way I’d be able to post them and readers could view them without having to jump through hoops.

Duane and Brando: Runaway Five

MrKoopan says:

holy crap

you posted them the other day (week?) and they just posted this, so here (I’m bad at this)

EarthBound Zero Walkthrough Video

Absoltastic says:

Hi Earthbound Central! I am not really sure how to classify this, but I made a movie/entire walkthrough of Earthbound Central, combining gameplay with random cinematics and blogging throughout to try and capture the experience. I still don’t know how to explain it well, but I thought you might possibly have a bit of interest in this.

This is also the walkthrough that uses the stats from Starmen’s walkthrough, aka the forum post I made over a year ago asking if I could use the stats hahaha.

At first I had to do a double-take – how does one do a walkthrough of this site?! But it was actually supposed to say “walkthrough of EarthBound Zero”, heh.

Sky Runner Sighting

Connor sent:

Hey,

I don’t know if this is really news, but I was watching this episode of “Teen Titans:”

And I realized that the UFOs they’re tracking down look an awful lot like the Sky Runner from EarthBound! Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Sugiyama Plays MOTHER 2

David H. sent this link in, which I think I covered at one point but if not here you go:

Dragon Quest musician plays MOTHER 2

Sister Plays EarthBound

NorthOfOnett sent in:

Recently, I convinced my sister to start playing EarthBound, and she’s really enjoying it so far! Every now and then she plays it and I help her out; really good sibling bonding time 😀

Anyway, she’s pretty spazzy and entertaining while playing this, so I decided to secretly record her! I actually had to cut the video down by 12 minutes so it wouldn’t be TOO long. It’s still 19 minutes long, but I think you’ll get a kick out of it 😀 It’s fun playing with someone who hasn’t ever played it before!

EarthBound-inspired Game on Wii U

Marty sent in:

Hi Mato,

Read this morning that the developer of ‘Two Brothers'(a gameboy styled rpg game still being finalised for the Wii U) mentioned that they want their next game to feel like a “3D Earthbound”.

The original post is here.

Be interesting to see what they come up with!

Thanks for your time.

-Marty

EarthBound Fanboys and Bashers

Opinionated Vector Chimera said:

Today, I felt like having some stuffs and giggles. So, I typed in, y’know, “EarthBound sucks”, since, well, EarthBound gets a ton of positive criticism. I’d say it’s time I assess some criticism and see what the visitors of EB Central thought. Mind you, this is someone’s personal rant, but I thought there was some debatable material in it.

[ADDENDUM] You know what, I just assessed it again and the writer seems to not know that the L button was meant for left-handed players. And the comments…I won’t say anything about them. Oh, well…

Paula’s Weapon in Real Life

Joe says:

I happened to stumble upon this nifty little invention and it immediatly reminded me of how Paula’s main weapon is a frying pan. Link

MOTHER Series Collection on Wii

Skye asked:

Hi there, I was just wondering if you have any way of helping me with getting all 3 Mother games and the Homebrew Channel on my Wii. I can’t seem to figure out how to do it despite looking at every available tutorial.

Have you done this before? Do you have it?

Just looking for some help.

Unfortunately I know so little about Homebrew stuff that I can’t help at all. Hopefully someone else out there can share Homebrew wisdom in the comments though.

Claus in “The Wizard”

Octibbles sent this in:

So, I was watching The Wizard and I saw this and thought it was uncanny how close this guy in the background looked like Claus so I screencapped it. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but it was new to me so here you go! I also find it funny how brightly dressed this dude is while everyone else seems to be wearing duller clothes.

Kumatora in a Commercial

Stephie sent in:

Hi! I found this commercial for McDonalds and I thought the girl at 0:12 looked like Kumatora.

MUHUHUHU

MrRexTV1 sent:

The Dinosaurs and I have created a animated series pilot called “Mr Rex Adventures”. Earthbound References are now a permanent guest in the first episode! I dare you to find them if you can!

new earthbound possibly…

joe again sent:

hey, i saw a nintendo direct conference, and it said there was a new fire elbem for 3ds. i think they might continue to make old and obscure games return, and i have high hopes for earthbound. speaking of, nintendo should have made one without itoi after mother 3. just because itoi didnt want to make it didnt mean they needed itoi. they should atleast make a anime or a comic or something. and one idea for the other mother handbooks:mother 4. the fanmade one needs a players guide well when its released.

PK Election

Miles V. sent this in:

There was a really old graphic design project that I did that was promoting Ness and Lucas for their respective games. I never finished them, remembered I had the files in my dropbox archives. They should be high-resolution images. Maybe I’ll finish them Sunday.

Direct image links.

Link
Link
Link

You’d notice the posters in my old Trigony Media location in Second Life here:

Link
Link

Enjoy! 😛

Itoi Attacked?

pklovetheme took the troll bait and sent in:

Wow, check this out. This sounds HORRIBLE. Who the heck would do this crap?

Link

I don’t even know how to react. I saw it, read it, and had no idea what to think or how to react.

I can’t even fathom as to why that would happen, and I do not know how credible this is.

3D MOTHER 3 Art

EBBub says:

There’s a site on the net where a guy makes cool 3D video game art, which can be viewed in a 3DS browser. Recently, he made some Mother 3 artwork, so I thought it’d be cool to share it!

Link

I don’t own a 3DS or anything but I gotta say that IS pretty cool!

Ninten / Ness Palette Swap

joe returns said:

so i did this in MS paint. the first ninten sprite is from the podunk times link, but the second ninten sprite and both ness sprites belong to me! also ness has that slightly brown outline thing going on.

EarthBound is the Letter E

Kyle sent this in:

Small video, but thought it was cool to see the game mentioned out of all the other possible E-named games (Earthworm Jim…Echo The Dolphin…Excite Bike?)

Enjoy!

Link

Whew! That clears out everything in my submission inbox from October 30th until now! Looks like there’s only… 637 more submission e-mails in there 😯

12 Comments to Mini-Update Megathon #8

blahmoomoo said on Dec. 7, 2012

> Itoi Attacked
That’s a satire website, so none of that is real. You can tell when “Itoi” mentioned showering.

> “fire emblem… old and obscure games”
Eheheh… might not want to say that around Fire Emblem fans. 😛
Then again, it has been five years since the last FE game and six years since Mother 3, so I see your point. Still, since Mother was Itoi’s thing, someone would have to be pretty bold to pitch a new (commercial) game for the series.

Halloween said on Dec. 7, 2012

I was caught by the “EBC walkthrough” as well lol.

And no joke, I looked up “earthbound sucks” just the other day too (for the same reason) and found that review… weird how someone else is thinking alike…
I really tried to entertain his point of view but couldn’t, aside from maybe gameplay. But personally it’s all about the story and gameplay is just a means to an end.

That’s rough about Itoi, I hope he gets well soon. But seriously that might have been a tad too realistic and not humorous enough.

Chewy said on Dec. 7, 2012

Ah, another guy who didn’t take the hint when rejected by The Onion and still can’t see that satire is supposed to be funny.

joe the annoying kid said on Dec. 7, 2012

YES!!! i was on earthbound central AGAIN!!!
thanks a bunch!

Starmyster04 said on Dec. 7, 2012

the only game i couldn’t get on the alphabet list was “Y” lol

Kyle said on Dec. 7, 2012

I appreciate you posting my email, as small as a reference as it is 🙂

Is EarthBound Christmas playable online somewhere, or did you just finish the video using incomplete footage?

I just had a sudden realization said on Dec. 7, 2012

In the Alphagames video, X is Xevious. The music playing in the background is part of what you hear in the arcade in Earthbound.

JB2448 said on Dec. 7, 2012

I’ve mirrored all of the niconico uploads on to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcuwJz3jDmKX8GeqodK19yzUHC9z8DoX5

Hyperstar96 said on Dec. 9, 2012

@Skye

I’m assuming you have the ROMs that you need and an SD card.
Just follow any tutorial for putting the Homebrew Channel on your Wii (or Wii U!) but make sure you are following a tutorial for firmware 4.3U (the U is for the United States; it’ll be something else if your region is different). One method that can be used is LetterBomb (which doesn’t require the use of any game) or you could use Smash Stack (which is slightly easier to use but requires you to own a copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl). There are other methods, but I would recommend LetterBomb since it also comes with the Homebrew Channel installer so you don’t have to hunt it down on your own.

All of that is about a 10-15 minute process with the help of Google. Then download a homebrew application called the Homebrew Browser and put it in the apps folder on the root of your SD card. It’s basically an app that can be used on the Wii to download other homebrew applications without the use of a computer. Just use that browser and download FCEUltra (NES emulator), SNES9X (SNES emulator), and VBA (GBA emulator).

I hope all of that helped!

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Dec. 9, 2012

@MrRexTV1’s submission: Good copying of the intro of Hotel Mario. Bleh.

Radic said on Dec. 9, 2012

I think the father of the McDonalds kid (in other words Kumatora’s husband) kinda looks like duster,

Buster The Fox said on Dec. 10, 2012

Heh, I recently got my older brother to start playing Earthbound. Although he works so much he hasn’t played it much. He also hasn’t gotten very far, but that’s more because he’s obsessed with EXP grinding. Well, that’s not a bad thing, I guess. He’s already Encounter Killing the Coil Snakes. But he still hasn’t gotten a grasp around the timing of healing yourself and the scrolling HP meters. xD I’ll agree that it’s pretty fun watching them try to figure out where to go, and then seeing them get on the right track, and you’re like, “Aw, here it comes…!” in your mind…

I also liked the Runaway Five song. Interesting to see an English-language take on that song after we just saw the Mother 2 concert with their little “Money money” song. I think I like the Japanese one better, though.

Also, I think that Earthbound Christmas game could be pretty neat if it had some kind of a challenge to it. Like, enemies roaming the stages trying to hurt you, maybe. As it is, just walking around getting presents, it’s not much of a “game”, I think, more of an interactive… relaxation simulator or something? But I like how many playable characters there are, that’s pretty cool.

Find Merchandise!