December 21st, 2012 | EarthBound, Itoi, MOTHER 1, MOTHER 3

The Internet has been abuzz with news about Shigesato Itoi’s announcement of something MOTHER-related in the works. While checking out Japanese fans’ reactions I thought it might be interesting to share some of them here, so below are some Japanese comments that I’ve translated into English:

Wh-what?!

C’mon, save big stuff like that until you can actually give more details

If it comes out on 3DS I won’t need anything else

Even now I still listen to the original soundtrack sometimes. I haven’t played it since I was in school, I wonder how it’d seem to me now

Nintendo really does have lots of projects underway beneath the surface, huh?

Sounds like a remake of 1 or Virtual Console to me

If it were for Virtual Console there’d be no need to trump it up like this, so I’m hoping for a remake

Republication?! Say what?! Dunno what that means but I can’t waaaaait

If it’s gonna be a remake of 3 I’d like ‘em to add in that super-disturbing stuff that was cut out

From the phrase “republication” it sounds less like Virtual Console and more like a remake

I’d be happy if it’s even just Mother 2 on the Virtual Console

I’m interested in a remake of 1. I want to walk around that enormous map.

If it was just Virtual Console then he’d say Virtual Console. It’s gotta be something else. Please let it be something else.

The phrase “republication” really stirs the imagination. He’s a copywriter all right!

The FC version of 1 would feel way too outdated to play now. What I most hope for is a remake of 1-3 all using the same engine.

Probably a remake of 1 or 3? If they’re considering releasing it overseas where they’ve never been sold, then there’d be the added cost of translation. In which case it’d be more like, “No Virtual Console, it should be a remake package instead.”

I think I’d be happier with Virtual Console rather than a remake… I guess I just like the idea of memories staying as memories – I don’t want it all modernized and messed with. But I’d look forward to it either way.

A remake of 1 and 2? 3 sucks so screw it

From the phrase “make it playable”, it sounds like it might have to do with making progress with the rights issues to make them playable on Virtual Console.

I’m one of the ones who enjoyed 3, so what I’d like most is to be able to play something with all of them on 3DS or Wii U or whatever else.

Feels like Virtual Console to me. I doubt he’d want to make a full remake or anything.

If not Virtual Console then I think they should release something like the Mario Collection or Kirby Collection for the 3DS and have a downloadable version of it too lol

(If a compilation were released on 3DS) My 3DS would probably become a Mother-only system for a while.

3DS or Wii U, it doesn’t matter much to me, but Miiverse could really use a Mother community so please be a Wii U remake

60 Comments to Japanese Reactions to Itoi’s Announcement

2Sang said on Dec. 21, 2012

I think the American reactions are a little more extreme…

Linka said on Dec. 21, 2012

I’m amazed that there is that one guy who thinks Mother 3 sucked.

I mean, I know, opinions of all types, but it boggles me to see it exist.

Mato said on Dec. 21, 2012

Linka: Yeah, Mother 3 actually has a really strong love-it-or-hate-it thing over in Japan. I think just because people REALLY had their hopes up for it. I talked about this a little here: http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/10/mother-and-japanese-fans/ and in one of my Q&A updates last month.

NorthofOnett said on Dec. 21, 2012

This is cool seeing the other side of the spectrum! I agree with 2Sang though… People over here are acting a bit more extreme.

MotherFan said on Dec. 21, 2012

Seeing this and the last post really makes me more excited than ever!

Apple Kid said on Dec. 21, 2012

They don’t seem to know about the English translations… not that they should, I guess. But yeah, we’re acting waaaaaaaay more extreme here. Like I’ve said before, neglect gives you a better appreciation of something.

spookattle said on Dec. 21, 2012

A remake would be heavenly but I still think it must be time for virtual console…

My prediction is that Japan gets 1 or 2 (or both) of them on their VC, but I have hopes for them coming to the US and Europe. After all, they edited quite a few games to make them available on VC (I know in waverace 64 they took out the Kawasaki signs.)

Mrs. Saturn said on Dec. 21, 2012

Definitely interesting to see the reactions of Japanese fans, thanks for translating!

meleemario said on Dec. 21, 2012

I am personally hoping for a remake of all three games for the 3DS myself. I don’t do the virtual console thing myself, so I would be extremely disappointed if it were just a virtual console exclusive, you know? Either way, maybe our reactions are a little extreme, but the way I read it, the Japanese seem to be just as curious as we are, so maybe we’re all on the right track here. Hell, at this point, I would even be happy if it was a port of all 3 games on one cartridge (with bugfixes and maybe a new translation too perhaps? Like with the Final Fantasy ports on the GBA a few years back.)!!

edgethelucas said on Dec. 22, 2012

It’s nice to see the Japanese fans feel so ho-hum about this development. I’m jealous that they probably didn’t feel like freaking out at yesterday’s news since they all grew up with the games.

This makes me curious as to how both American and Japanese fans react differently to developments when it comes to other series. If you ever get the time, Tomato, would you consider maybe doing something like that on your Legends of Localization site? Like, how did Japanese Mario fans feel about Super Mario Galaxy compared to us, for example. It’s just a suggestion, I mean it isn’t really MOTHER related, I know.

Tonch said on Dec. 22, 2012

@ the “not sold overseas” comment:

The Mother games have only made it to North America (in the form of EarthBound), since PAL regions didn’t get any of them at all. So technically there ARE some regions “overseas” that they’ve never been sold in. (Or they could have just been referring to the first and third games.)

Anyway, thanks for translating these; It’s really cool to see reactions of Japanese fans. I’m actually surprised by how many people think “republication” hints at remakes– maybe there’s a discrepancy between the languages that gives it a different connotation to me, but the way it was translated as “republication” makes me think of simply “re-printing” something, which would point to Virtual Console.

I’m with the person that would rather have them as ports instead of remakes– I think modernizing them would take away a lot of the charm they have. I’d love for them to be on a trilogy cartridge for 3DS as ports of their original games.

Mato said on Dec. 22, 2012

edgethelucas: Actually, that’s a really interesting idea, I might just do that, or make some sort of mini-site for that sort of thing on LoL.

Tonch: The “not sold overseas” was referring to Mother 1 and 3 specifically.

Banana Kid said on Dec. 22, 2012

They’d better re-release the original trilogy in all of its pixelated glory before they even think about remakes of any sort.

It’s the least Nintendo could do. Familiarize the NA and EU market with the original titles first…then they can remake or republish the series any way they see fit…

But please, PLEASE give us all three games as they were originally released!

Leeaux said on Dec. 22, 2012

It’s really interesting to see them speculate just like we do. I mean it makes sense and all, we’re all human. I guess it’s just kinda funny.

We really are all the same haha.

Derik Flensburg said on Dec. 22, 2012

It’s not surprising that Japanese response would be more tame. Isn’t that characteristic of most Japanese?

boundearth said on Dec. 22, 2012

^I agree with Banana Kid. I want to see all three games on one cart in their original shape.

LucasPSI said on Dec. 22, 2012

“What is this about “republication”? The only “re” I can think of is the cancelled N64 Mother 3″

Yes! Someone is with me! B)

Tourist said on Dec. 22, 2012

That was an interesting idea of creating an engine then remaking all three games with it. Let’s be honest, Mother could be more enjoyable if updated with the visuals, controls, and mechanics of Mother 2 + 3. I mean, think of how many fans that have tried to remake EBZ

Nate said on Dec. 22, 2012

This is some pretty bittersweet news… I say this because yes, Itoi is finally giving his game-developing-side-hobby some attention once again! …although it will probably only be released in JPN…

This is like Nintendo saying; “Hey guys! Want a new Earthbound Remake?!”
US Fans; “Yeaaaah! I really want to help spread the word to all my friends about my most favorite game EVARR!!!!! When will it come out?!”
Nintendo; “It’ll be releasing on a MOTHER COLLECTION cartridge for the 3DS next holiday! Just learn Japanese, fly your lazy asses over here and buy it! By the way… We hate you.”

man said on Dec. 22, 2012

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that potentially the Mother series would sell most in the western markets at this stage.

I dunno, I just have a feeling.

Earthbounder said on Dec. 22, 2012

“A remake of 1 and 2? 3 sucks so screw it”

Haha! Best line! XD

Banana Kid said on Dec. 22, 2012

My “dream” Mother series compilation?

- All three titles, as translated respectively by Phil Sandhop(M1), Marcus Lindblom(M2), and Tomato(M3). Though I can’t help but foresee difficulties with this scenario (legal issues, censorship, etc) it would be the ideal scenario for both fans and Nintendo themselves, as they would save TONS of time, money and resources by using said previously available translations. Why hire new translators/editors, when frankly, all the work has been done already?

- All game play itself within the three titles should (does this really need to be stated?) remain as they were originally designed. No “softening” of the difficulty, no crazy Stylus/touchscreen additions, no alteration of character usage or any other such thing. Remember, Nintendo, we haven’t “legally” played two out of the three games…so, for all of us criminals, why not punish us with the original difficulties and fail to reward such “nefarious” illegal behavior by leaving out any game changing, crazy modern-day-system “bonuses”? We like the games as they are…don’t screw that up!

- All three titles should retain their original audio quality. Don’t muck it up like you did with M2 in M1+2…Sure, many blame the crappy GBA speaker, but I do believe a hack has since proven that the original quality of the tunes could have and SHOULD have remained intact, if only a bit more care and attention had been provided to such. As far as the three “infringing” tunes? They’d be great to be able to retain, but frankly, I don’t think many of us would mind missing out on the three tracks that prevented the game from receiving an earlier re-release. We can live with a few altered tracks…but hell, Chuck’s made all they he could’ve off of Johnny B. Good, hasn’t he? Give the artist a credit or small royalty, ferchrissakes, if that’s what stopped you all before. You’ll still make money!

-A Mother/EBZero remake that brings it up to snuff with the sequels would be fantastically rad.
Packaged within the game itself, as an unlockable bonus after say, beating the original Mother as it was originally intended would be the perfect scenario. Make us earn a remake!

- A brief summary and history, picture gallery, sound test, or even small demo of EB64 as an added bonus after say, beating M3 would be MIND BLOWING. This is the least most likely thing to occur, but seeing any sort of official EB64 material released (especially within a series compilation/retrospective) would be appreciated beyond belief. Many games feature such content available as bonuses…why not throw such into this title as well? It’s still a very integral part of the series history and many of us would be dying to see or experience more of EB64. Hey, a guy can dream!

…That’s about it. Asking or expecting much more would be insane. Anyone else have any ideas/suggestions/wishes?

Here’s to hoping that whatever this new “Mother” republication may be, it stirs Itoi’s creative juices and perhaps revitalizes his interest in the series. I’m not predicting nor asking for M4…but again, a dude can dream right? Maybe working on a re-release compilation would get Itoi’s internal Mother gears turning again…hmm…I’ve heard of stranger things happening. :P

resetsurvivor said on Dec. 22, 2012

Is it really only three songs? I mean, they use samples out the whazoo in that game! I really hope they don’t change ANY of the music. It’s my favorite part. I couldn’t even imagine a different Cave of the Past song, or Dungeon Man, or, or …

Ostricho said on Dec. 22, 2012

At this rate, there will be BETTER sales in America…

Poe said on Dec. 22, 2012

^ Haha, no kidding. With the cult following that’s developed and exploded over the past decade or so, I think we could really surprise a lot of people with how much EarthBound we’re willing to buy if only they would just release it.

NorthofOnett said on Dec. 22, 2012

This is why I don’t understand why so many of us are pessimistic about a release in the US. There’s a larger market for the games, the series is much more well-known, and I can almost guarantee it will sell well because fans have been deprived for so long.
Nintendo isn’t out to screw Mother fans over; if anyone truly believes that, then I feel sorry for you. Nintendo is a business, and they’re in it to make money. They didn’t see an opportunity to make money before, but this time is different.

Clockerstance said on Dec. 22, 2012

The 3DS has it’s own store thing, right? Maybe it’s just re-releasing through that. I couldn’t expect anything elaborate.

Derik Flensburg said on Dec. 22, 2012

Ness has been in Smash Bros for the past three titles and Lucas is in the newest and most popular one. If Nintendo advertises in a way that says, “Hey, this is where that character’s from,” I don’t see how that can be a failure.

PepsiMax said on Dec. 22, 2012

The more I think about it, whether I’m right or not, a director’s cut of Mother 3 seems like the only thing really worth doing. I’d imagine that they could take the existing Mother 3 game and put it on a 3DS so they have more room to work with. If they’re going through the trouble to “republish” something Mother related, why not the one with a lot of cut content? I feel like it’s not just a straight port, or adding it the VC; I don’t feel like Itoi would think that’s big news. Heck, they probably don’t even need to consult him for that. A remake of any of the three would be cool regardless, but again, my logic being why go through the trouble of remaking a complete game like Mother 1 or 2, when they could focus their attention on the “incomplete” Mother 3?

Tourist said on Dec. 22, 2012

Mother 3 is incomplete? It just must be where I wasn’t around during the wait for Earthbound 64. I feel like Mother 3 is a fantastic game. I think it’s just fan’s disappointment talking when they ask for extended Mother 3 or Earthbound 64. I mean, really… Mother 3 is great. On par (yet a different flavor) compared to Mother 2.

NecrosaroIII said on Dec. 22, 2012

That content wasn’t cut due to system limitations. It was cut because Itoi wanted to take it a different direction

Apple Kid said on Dec. 22, 2012

This might get a U.S. release. Just think, there was Fire Emblem. A major thing you have to think about that series is that it kept producing games, unlike the defunct (Until this possible remake) Mother series.

WheatThinEthan said on Dec. 22, 2012

I don’t think NA fans are acting extreme. They’ve had the chance to officially play it after all, and we’ve had anticipation built up for forever plus two years. If anything, the Japanese fans sure are funnier!

DS Piron said on Dec. 23, 2012

“Republication” sound less like Remake, and more like Compilation, or Virtual Console…

…Despite the re-…

DS Piron said on Dec. 23, 2012

Still great news for Earthbound Fans

Parandr0id said on Dec. 23, 2012

Itoi just tweeted about MOTHER 3 not too long ago.

PepsiMax said on Dec. 23, 2012

No, some cuts were, nay, HAD to have been made because of system limitations. The game takes up all 32MB or storage; obviously having the originally intended 12 chapters instead of the current 8 wouldn’t fit. Itoi rewrote stuff, yes, but some of that was probably due to limitations. He probably picked out the parts that were less meaningful and cut them or shrunk them down.

Mato said on Dec. 23, 2012

Parandr0id: It’s nothing too important to anything, he’s just pointing out some guy who did stuff on Mother 3 among other things.

Nintendork said on Dec. 23, 2012

Im curious Mato: How the heck did you react to this? If i were to discover this, I would probably hyperventilate for a couple hours.

MegustaClaus said on Dec. 23, 2012

I’m not sure if I like the “Virtual Console” idea….
I could see itoi do something like how square enix remade Final Fantasy III and IV with a 3dish feel (since back then there obviously wasn’t a 3DS to experiment on, lol)
I dunno, we’ll have to wait and see.

MegustaClaus said on Dec. 23, 2012

I’m not sure if I like the “Virtual Console” idea….
I dunno, we’ll have to wait and see.

Mato said on Dec. 24, 2012

Nintendork: Basically I was like, “Oh, I better post a translation quick!” and then I posted it :P

jinxkatty7 said on Dec. 24, 2012

“3 sucks so screw it” D: What? How could you hate M3?

rotschleim said on Dec. 24, 2012

I didn’t think they thought about us! :D That’s cool to know.

poben said on Dec. 24, 2012

@Mato: hmmmmmmm. did you know anything about a ‘republication’ before the tweet?

Mato said on Dec. 24, 2012

Nope – it seems no one knows what he’s talking about when he says he mentioned it before. I’m wondering if he mentioned it during that concert thing the other day. I haven’t watched it so I can’t say, but maybe that’s where he dropped some hints?

Jimshrimp said on Dec. 25, 2012

I’m agreeing with that “MOTHER 3 sucks” guy somewhat, it IS my least favorite mother by FAR, but it doesn’t suck by any means.

BoogyBear said on Dec. 26, 2012

I got my hopes up a lot since all of this has happened this year, I really hope a remake for all the three MOTHER/Earthbound games for the 3ds gaming platform.

Chase said on Dec. 26, 2012

If this was announced on the 21st I would have been terrified. Imagine playing EB64 on 3DS. Whoa

MugenKeiji said on Dec. 26, 2012

@Chase

You just described exactly what I hope to experience in 3 years.

Anonymous said on Dec. 26, 2012

I don’t know about you guys, but I would really like to see a MOTHER 1+2+3 remake, although I don’t want it to be in 3D.

Ness1985 said on Dec. 27, 2012

The people that didn’t like M3 is because they couldn’t handle getting their hearts broken in two.

BusterTheFox said on Dec. 27, 2012

Well, I’m personally hoping for 1+2+3 on 3DS. I doubt VC. And I hope, if it’s the former, that we get some bonus content with it, too. :D Not sure if I can say whether or not it would be a 3D or 2D re-make, and I can’t say I would care either way; I would love it the same no matter what the graphics look like. :3 I kinda doubt it’ll be for a console. I also hope it’s not an eShop download. That’s my two cents on the theories so far.

…Or, it could be 1+2+3 all released on separate cartridges as complete, high-quality 3D remakes. But that’s nothing more than a possibility. xD

mustangbrian said on Dec. 28, 2012

I would love a retail release, big box, and scratch n sniff cards, lol. If they released retail merchandise here, they would probably make a killing too, game released or not. If they sold Mr. Saturn items at the Nintendo store or had those arcade claw machines with the figurines in the store. Would definitely bring more people in and raise interest. EB definitely is more marketable than some of Nintendo’s other games.

idiotic said on Dec. 29, 2012

*waits for E3 2013…Reggie doesn’t mention Mother..continues to resent NoA*

PSIpunky said on Jan. 24, 2013

I wonder what they’re saying now…

Mato said on Jan. 24, 2013

I looked very very briefly but it’s mostly just what I’d expect – some happy people, some meh people, some people saying Itoi is overrated.

PSIpunky said on Jan. 24, 2013

Figures… whilst over here, just a sad week. Moving on.

EB912 said on Jan. 25, 2013