MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10

December 14th, 2012 | Interviews, MOTHER 3

Man, it’s like all of a sudden MOTHER 3 and the MOTHER 3 fan translation has popped back into my life.

The other day I posted an old interview I did with Active Gaming Media about the translation, and here’s a much more recent one I did with Sam Stewart as a final project for a Video Games and Communication class. I didn’t know at the time that it would possibly wind up on IGN’s site though 😛

Anyway, here’s the blog article:

For most people here most of this info is probably old stuff, but all this MOTHER 3 stuff has awakened things that I’d forgotten about and will include in my MOTHER 3 translation notes/localization comparison that’s on the way.

Speaking of which here’s a sneak peek of an early, unfinished page:

IMG_0081

I hope to have the first few pages out soon!

15 Comments to IGN Blog Article on MOTHER 3 Fan Translation

Leeaux said on Dec. 14, 2012

Can’t wait for it Tomato!

Max said on Dec. 14, 2012

I have to admit: part of me would love to see even a MOTHER 2 translation–one that incorporated all of the stuff that was left out of the American version of the game. That said, I realize that it’s a programming nightmare, and who has the time to do it? Tomato has already done more than enough game translating for the EarthBound online community.

NessObssesed said on Dec. 14, 2012

Hey, i have a question about the translation. In the first chapter, i’m pretty sure that when you’re learning how to dash and you talk to alec, he says ” someday you’ll be stronger than anyone!” or something like that. Is the “anyone” part a mistake, or just show just how weak they think Lucas is?

Crav said on Dec. 14, 2012

^NessObssesed: Is English maybe not your first language? Used in that way, “anyone” takes on the same meaning as “everyone”. So just the opposite. It’s like him telling his grandson that one day he’ll be the strongest person in the world.

Mato said on Dec. 14, 2012

Indeed, it’s as Crav explains. It’s interesting, though, because I’d never looked at that phrasing from that point of view. Language is interesting.

(smile, smile) said on Dec. 14, 2012

No pressure intended but I am just SO EXCITED for the new Mother 3 stuff, Mato!!! Haha!

SamWibatt said on Dec. 14, 2012

Congrats! I think the M3 translation was one of the finest and most ambitious fan projects ever, and I was thrilled with the results. Well done!

Skye said on Dec. 15, 2012

I’d love to read the full Q&A! And if only I were able to figure out how to put the Mother series on my 3DS!

Ness1985 said on Dec. 15, 2012

Has anyone thought of translating Mother 2 for the Super Famicom so we can get all the uncensored stuff? Like Final Fantasy VI Stand Guard.

Mato said on Dec. 15, 2012

It’s been suggested many times over many years, but the amount of technical work and the amount of time needed would be too great for so little benefit. I touch on it here: http://earthboundcentral.com/m2eb/final-thoughts/

Maybe someday someone with enough free time and technical prowess can try it, but Mother 2 is a tough game to hack, as I explain here: http://earthboundcentral.com/2011/04/a-look-at-the-mother-2-side/

Journal: Dec. 14, 2012 | Mato Tree said on Dec. 15, 2012

[…] did for a student’s class project was posted on the IGN site, so I posted that on EB Central here. Someday I oughta organize all the interviews and stuff I’ve done and make section for them […]

Ness1985 said on Dec. 15, 2012

Thanks for the reply Mato.

Apple Kid said on Dec. 15, 2012

Hey, Mato. I was thinking of getting Mother 3 for Christmas and go through the process of patching it and slappin’ it on a flash cart. But, I have looked left and right but no sites had an EZ-Flash IV. So, are there any other User friendly and rather reasonably priced flash carts that can play Mother 3 with saves? Only answer if it isn’t to much to ask, and (as always), thanks in advance.

Mato said on Dec. 16, 2012

Apple Kid: I know very little about the subject, so the best I can do is point you to this thread with more info: http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Games/Mother3FanTranslation/47933

Jeff said on Dec. 16, 2012

Mato: Honestly, the translation notes are so above-and-beyond. Every time I think of the work you put into Mother 3, I’m inspired to try harder on the things I want to accomplish. It really is awesome. You gave us a translation that was even more professional than almost any official release could have been, and it really shows in the final product.

(FYI, you don’t know me, but I posted a bunch in the Mother 3 fan translation forums. I was very glad to see you reference the “favorite/funniest lines” thread I started loooong ago in your interviews.)

Apple Kid: Realhotstuff has a page for EZ Flash IV saying as of 11/26/12 they’re “out of stock”, but expecting “10-20” in in the next few weeks. You might want to place an order just in case it goes through.

Also, FYI: If you want to play on real hardware, you can use the EZ Flash 3-in-1 to play it with an older style Nintendo DS or DS Lite with a GBA port (you also need a separate DS-style flash card to load the game onto the EZ Flash 3-in-1).

That seems to still be available. (Hope posting this is ok, Mato: http://www.acekard2.net/product_info.php/cPath/3/products_id/20 ). I have a guide I wrote out a long time ago for getting it to work, which I guess fewer people saw than I had hoped, but it should be comprehensive. It is here: