December 3rd, 2012 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Itoi, Uncommon Knowledge

A recent installment of the Fangamer podcast features a ton of EarthBound-related content, including lots of insight from Chewy. If you don’t recognize her name, she’s done a ton of EarthBound/MOTHER-related work and even worked with Itoi himself!

She talks about all sorts of interesting EarthBound-related topics – here’s the podcast’s description:

Lindsay Nelson is a translator, bringing articles about Shigesato Itoi from Japan to America. She joins us to talk about living in Japan for 5 years, and meeting the creator of the Mother Series. She also discusses her work unofficially translating Saori Kumi‘s novelization of Mother 2.

So check out the podcast MP3 here:

And check out past episodes of the Fangamer podcast here!

7 Comments to EarthBound on Fangamer Podcast

Apple Kid said on Dec. 3, 2012

Mother is getting popular… Heck its blowing up Youtube right now! (Really I checked, ton of stuff on the front page)

Kyosuke said on Dec. 3, 2012

Yay, the first music track is me playing the Fourside theme on piano!

WheatThinEthan said on Dec. 4, 2012

EarthBound sure is popular. I’m amazed at how obscure people will say it is, and it kind of is in the sense that people won’t recongize it by name alone sometimes. If they see Ness though, they know. It’s tricky tricky.

Oh, and I know that this isn’t a post of Q&A’s, but if you do happen to do it again Mato, I have a question that kind of relates to the entire subject. Any personal theories on why MOTHER 2 hasn’t been released in Japan? I know this subject was brought up back in 2009, but we’ve learned a lot since then, right?

Mato said on Dec. 4, 2012

Logic seems to suggest that NCL thought the game was A-OK to release in Japan at first, hence Mother 2’s inclusion in Japanese Smash Bros. Brawl. But between then and the North American release of Brawl, NOA’s lawyers brought the copyright issues to NCL’s attention, and the game’s been sitting there ever since in a weird stalemate with who knows who many parties involved.

Apple Kid said on Dec. 4, 2012

@Mato I would also like to point out that you even said it works differently in Japan.

Mato said on Dec. 5, 2012

In the context of “why wasn’t this a problem before?” Like I said, NCL probably had no idea there were any issues until then, because it hadn’t been a problem before – because things worked differently in Japan.

Buster The Fox said on Dec. 5, 2012