December 12th, 2012 | EarthBound

In the past I’ve posted many EarthBound-like fonts for download, but it seems like there’s always been a little quirk with each one for whatever reason.

Well, a few months ago, a fellow by the name of null posted a more accurate EarthBound font file on the Starmen.Net forums:

I recently started working on an Earthbound fangame but I ran into a problem. I was using the AppleKid font but I had some problems with it. The character spacing was slightly off, it was missing the mid dot used in conversations, there was no Greek letters, and many of the symbols were inaccurate. Instead of trying to fix the AppleKid font I decided to make my own based off the main font from PK Hack. This font is pixel accurate and mapped exactly like the font is in the game, the only difference is that I added a redundant large O to the copywrite symbol character. I had to add this because the large O is mapped to the delete character which many programs will not display.

Comparison pictures:

AppleKid:
applekid

EBMain:
ebmain

Fixed symbols:
fixed

New symbols:
new

Symbol chart:
symbolchart

This font was designed to be used in fangames, because it only includes the characters used ingame it is not practical for everyday use.

You can download the file here:

Thanks again to null for the hard work!

9 Comments to An Accurate EarthBound Font

JamesBond007 said on Dec. 12, 2012

Could you add letters from foreign languages to this font? Here are letters from Polish language:
ą, ć, ę, ł, ń, ó, ś, ź, ż.

In order to write this letters, you need to press the following buttons on the keyboard with Polish settings: Right Alt + a/c/e/l/n/o/s/x/z.

Mato said on Dec. 12, 2012

I’m not sure how to add stuff to fonts or even really edit fonts. I imagine it’s difficult, given that it’s taken 17 years since EarthBound’s release for someone to create an accurate font.

Skye said on Dec. 12, 2012

It’s not all that difficult with the Font Editing programs out there. It just takes a huge amount of time to make the fonts look perfect.

Apple Kid said on Dec. 13, 2012

Hey Mato, do you know if Earthbound’s font is copyrighted? It seems like a weird question, but I am making a game that I may sell, and if the font is not copyrighted I will consider using it. Thanks, in advance.

Mato said on Dec. 13, 2012

I don’t know but I would assume so: http://copyright.universityofcalifornia.edu/faqs.html#6

Alex Foffano said on Dec. 14, 2012

One question. How many letters “i” fit in a line on the text windows?

brandons said on Dec. 14, 2012

In the U.S., font designs are not protected by copyright. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_protection_of_typefaces

GhostSonic said on Dec. 16, 2012

I’ve noticed that Apple Kid was a bit off on the spacing, but I never really thought much of it. Glad someone went to the effort of fixing that anyways.

Kaabii said on Apr. 16, 2013