EarthBound Zero Game-Breaking Bug
November 22nd, 2012 | MOTHER 1
The other day I lamented the lack of attention MOTHER 1 gets in reviews in general – and then shortly after J Chastain posted this lengthy and interesting essay/analysis/review of it!
There are some really interesting observations in there, such as:
Not examined at all in this game: its near deification of women. The enshrinement of women in sacred spaces–Mom in the idyllic space of home, Maria in Magicant’s throne room, Ana in church with stained glass and a giant cross on the walls. The weird gendered split between the kinds of agency granted George, who works in physical reality and can build giant robots, and Maria, who lives in an imaginary cloud castle, and writes songs. There’s the fact that Itoi chose to project all the warmth, safety, and nostalgia the game represents onto an entire gender, rather than any specific person the title “Mother” might refer to.
If you’re not filled with pie and turkey today, give it a read and share what you think!
Other Related Posts:
8 Comments to MOTHER 1 Review / Analysis / Essay
Featured Item on eBay:
MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...