MOTHER Remake Hack: Title Screen Music
November 22nd, 2012 | MOTHER 1
The other day I lamented the lack of attention MOTHER 1 gets in reviews in general – and then shortly after J Chastain posted this lengthy and interesting essay/analysis/review of it!
There are some really interesting observations in there, such as:
Not examined at all in this game: its near deification of women. The enshrinement of women in sacred spaces–Mom in the idyllic space of home, Maria in Magicant’s throne room, Ana in church with stained glass and a giant cross on the walls. The weird gendered split between the kinds of agency granted George, who works in physical reality and can build giant robots, and Maria, who lives in an imaginary cloud castle, and writes songs. There’s the fact that Itoi chose to project all the warmth, safety, and nostalgia the game represents onto an entire gender, rather than any specific person the title “Mother” might refer to.
If you’re not filled with pie and turkey today, give it a read and share what you think!
Other Related Posts:
8 Comments to MOTHER 1 Review / Analysis / Essay
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?