MOTHER 1 GAME GUIDE BOOK FC NES Japanese 1

November 30th, 2012 | EarthBound, MOTHER 1, MOTHER 3

A few weeks ago I posted about a possible plan to make print versions of my localization comparison projects. The response was far better than I imagined, so I’m pretty confident I’m gonna give a stab at it in the near future.

Of course, I’m going to need to consult a lawyer and look at complicated stuff like that, but the first thing I want to do is get an idea of what to start with. So here are the choices I have in mind:

• MOTHER 1 / EarthBound Zero comparison
  • Expanded MOTHER 2 / EarthBound comparison
  • MOTHER 3 / MOTHER 3 fan translation comparison (basically these would be my translation notes I still haven’t gotten around to writing)
  • Zelda II: Adventure of Link
  • Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
  • Contra
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Final Fantasy I
  • Metroid
  • Mega Man
  • Duck Tales
  • Dragon Quest / Dragon Warrior

Basically, which of these would you most like to see a comparison of? Keep in mind that there’ll also be a free online version too, so even if you’re not interested in an actual book you’ll get to see the end result. The books will just have added content to them + possible extra goodies.

I’ve actually been working on a Final Fantasy IV comparison site for a little while now (see here), but the scope of that project is so big that it would be insane to make that the first book project. I think just the first section alone would be 30+ pages 8O

Anyway, vote in the poll below (or here) so I can figure out what I should start looking into!

Edit: If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, I’ve compared the Japanese and English versions of a few games, including Super Mario Bros. 1, Legend of Zelda, and most recently Final Fantasy II/IV. See here!

POLL: Which localization comparison book/sites sound the most appealing to you right now? (choose up to 3)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

33 Comments to Localization Book Poll

Furball200x said on Nov. 30, 2012

It’s not in the poll, but I might want to see a Pokemon comparison.

Mato said on Nov. 30, 2012

Yeah, I’m really considering that for sometime, I just don’t think I’d want it to be my first outing.

Pimpshi said on Nov. 30, 2012

A Link to the Past! I hadn’t even considered that as something worth looking into, but I think that could be an amazing comparison! It would be really neat to look into how the game that redefined the Zelda formula (and influenced Ocarina of Time so heavily) was originally localized!

This is a really great idea, Mato — I look forward to reading your future localizations no matter what you end up doing.

psei64 said on Nov. 30, 2012

This is pretty exciting! Hopefully everything goes through.

HpBoost said on Nov. 30, 2012

You’ll be able to gather a wider audience with other big name titles like Zelda , Final Fantasy, and Megaman, but you will probably have more litigation troubles if you go outside of Nintendo properties.

NecrosaroIII said on Nov. 30, 2012

Dragon Quest IMHO. It might be a little bit harder with all the different releases, all of which are radically different though

M1Fan said on Nov. 30, 2012

Dragon Quest!!! Dragon Quest!!! Do Dragon Quest!!!

MotherFan said on Nov. 30, 2012

Yeah, Dragon Quest would be nice to see on a book. (:

KingDarian said on Nov. 30, 2012

You could probably write a whole book on the process of localizing MOTHER 3, the events leading up to it, and what happened after. As cool as the MOTHER 3 translation is, I’m not sure it fits in with the other games in the Legends of Localization project because it’s something you worked on directly, rather than someone else’s work that you’re looking at through an outside perspective.

Nesskid said on Nov. 30, 2012

I vote for Link to the Past, and of course Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.

kenisu said on Nov. 30, 2012

It kills me not to vote for DuckTales – just because I love both the game and the cartoon – but I realized there’s not much dialogue in that one anyway (and I’m not sure what other differences there’d be between the North American and Japanese versions). So I’m going to have to say MOTHER 1/EB Zero (gosh, did anyone see that coming?), your MOTHER 3 translation notes, and Zelda II (as I just played through that one again, and found it wasn’t nearly as bad as I remembered… though still pretty nasty).

Chewy said on Nov. 30, 2012

Whatever would sell the most books B-)

Totally rooting for you on this, it’s such a fabulous idea that fans would eat up like crazy people who don’t realize you’re not supposed to just eat crack.

Just so it doesn’t feed the fuel of all the really angry fanboys that hate on translators for localizing things. Maybe you can shed some light on the reasoning and talk some sense into people. ;D

Mato said on Nov. 30, 2012

kenisu: I was thinking the same thing when I did my Super Mario Bros. 1 comparison but it turned out to be far more material-rich than I expected.

KingDarian: Actually, part of the neat thing about this series is that some games I’ll take an outside perspective on things and some things I’ll be able to provide different inside perspectives on. I’ve actually been thinking of doing some of these comparisons for my really early fan translations to show what went wrong, why, how to spot it in professional stuff, and pitfalls that amateur/fan translations often have.

Chewy: Definitely, I want to make sure it starts out with a bang, and if I focus on anything in the Mother 3 stuff, it’ll be the reasoning behind localizations. Since it looks like Mother 3′s gonna be the winner here, I’ll probably hit up you and Jeffman for lots of insight and thoughts in the next few months too~

Punky said on Nov. 30, 2012

Where could one find or read this Super Mario Bros. 1 comparison? >.<

Tonch said on Nov. 30, 2012

I voted for EarthBound and Mother 3 because I always love reading about those, but the third I voted for was Zelda II. I think there could be some really interesting things to learn about it! I also want to know if my hunch is right about that “Error” thing– I got the idea that his name may have been intended as “Errol” since that’s an actual name. Given the strange names in Zelda, maybe not, but it’s interesting regardless. Things like that I think are always fun with old games.

Apple Kid said on Nov. 30, 2012

I voted for Mother, Mother 2/Earthbound, and Dragon warrior/Quest because they probably have the most differences, due to their massive text.

kenisu said on Nov. 30, 2012

Punky: http://matotree.com/localization – scroll down for Super Mario Bros.

Tonch: A theory I read once was that the character Bagu was mistranslated, and it was supposed to be “Bug” – giving us two characters in Zelda II with theme naming: “Bug” and “Error.”

Mato said on Nov. 30, 2012

kenisu: Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s exactly the case. That’s one of those things I’m really looking forward to digging into someday.

Punky said on Nov. 30, 2012

Thank you.

I have alot to read. *Brain overload*

So many memories and awesome stuff I never knew!

Anonymous said on Nov. 30, 2012

I’ve seen enough about Mother 2 over the years. I am really, really curious about Mother 3, though, it being my favorite game and all.

Zanti said on Dec. 1, 2012

Metroid would be neat.

Magicxgame said on Dec. 1, 2012

I definitely second the Pokemon one.

Voted for MOTHER 1 and 3 and Final Fantasy 1.

Darien said on Dec. 1, 2012

Earthbound, DuckTales, and Zelda 2 are my choices. I am, in fact, super jazzed that DuckTales made it on your list; at first, I thought it was a joke entry, since there doesn’t seem to be very much there to analyse. But if there really are some interesting differences, I would love to hear about them. :-D

gwalms said on Dec. 1, 2012

Oops! I voted for Link to the Past on accident, instead of Zelda II. I did correctly vote for EB0 and Mother 3 though.

DJMankiwitz said on Dec. 2, 2012

I would LOVE to see translation notes for Zelda II and Zelda LTTP. It’s my favorite series of all time, so things like that really interest me.

Buster The Fox said on Dec. 2, 2012

I had to go with Mother 3 and Final Fantasy. I recently watched a playthrough of that one (Well, it was an all-white mage challenge TAS), and I took note of the sheer number of things that had to be truncated into tiny four-letter spaces and such. A lot like things we’ve seen in FFIV, only on a much more NES level, so to speak.

vessol said on Dec. 2, 2012

I know it’s a giant request. But I would love and would gladly purchase a book that covered all the localization differences between Mother 1-3. Even individual ones I’d get.

Furball200x said on Dec. 2, 2012

How about a Doki Doki Panic and SMB2 comparison?

Mato said on Dec. 2, 2012

Yeah, I hope to do that someday but just not as the very first one I do.

Punk said on Dec. 2, 2012

Ducktales has me curious. If it doesn’t take too long then that would make for a sweet bonus.

Skullrama said on Dec. 3, 2012

Guess I’m a little late to the comment party here, but I would really love to see your current, professional type self, give an in depth analysis of your old work on Bahamut Lagoon.

Mato said on Dec. 3, 2012

Yeah, I really want to do that someday. It’s interesting seeing my style and approaches change over the years but I don’t think most people would notice unless I point out things like that. Sort of like how artists improve and/or change over years, except without actual art to look at.

PsychicKid said on Dec. 7, 2012

I would love to see Final Fantasy I. If you like, I could probably offer some assisstance regarding FFI, since it’s one of my alltime favorite games. I’m not fluent in Japanese like you (and nowhere near the experience you have), but I’m decent at it and have quite a bit of knowledge about FFI, especially its NES/FC and PS1 versions.