MOTHER Series’ 25th Anniversary
November 28th, 2012 | Itoi
In his latest daily post on his site, Shigesato Itoi quickly touched on the MOTHER series and the attitude he had toward it when working on it. I don’t have time right now to do a full translation, but a quick summary is this:
- After the MOTHER 2 live concert event that was held, Itoi spent a lot of time yesterday tweeting to people about the MOTHER series and reliving memories of those old days.
- He thinks the MOTHER game was the first time in his life that he went into a job with the feeling of, “Please let me do this!” All other work he had done before was of the “Please do this for us, Mr. Itoi” variety, but the MOTHER games were the first where HE wanted to do something – to the point that even if he had been turned down he would’ve figured out a way to make it happen somehow.
- Even when doing his ad work and competing with others he never really felt the “please let me do this” vibe. If things didn’t work out he’d just move on to another ad project.
- The only other thing he’s really had this “Please let me do this!” thing with was his Hobonichi site many years ago.
- When he has that “please let me do this” attitude, he can get super serious about his work and stick to it no matter how hard things get or however may setbacks he has. This was true when he worked on MOTHER. And when working on Hobonichi too, of course.
His daily posts are never archived, so after today the post will be gone. If I can, I’ll try to post a full translation at some point, but the above summary should cover most of what he said. For reference, his post will be here for the next day or so.
Other Related Posts:
7 Comments to Itoi Looks Back at MOTHER
- Traiver: Mother 1: – FC: Original – GBA: Adds Run Button and Translated Epilogue, No Time Machine, Some other stuff from NES Proto....
- DJMankiewicz: I’m not willing to write Adex off like that myself. There’s a good possibility there’s real reasons why such a...
- Mother2fan: “adex” is apparently not only an idiot who can’t understand symbolism, but also a prude who can’t handle even...
- DJMankiewicz: And his most basic form still includes a baseball cap :D. I’d agree with all of that. Adex, if there’s a personal reason...
- Shrub: @adex I understand the sentiment, but remember that this is NOT just nudity for the sake of nudity or anything – this is nudity used...