November 4th, 2012 | EarthBound, Images

A lot of folks have been sending me a picture of an EarthBound cartridge in a house that was hit by the recent Hurricane Sandy. Here it is:

Some of the comments I’ve gotten include:

Hey, found this picture on the internet. Thought it could be of some interest for your site.
Not sure of the full story, but the picture was taken after the Hurricane on the East Coast.

Poor guy.

I just saw this on 9gag and shed many tears:

I get the feeling the game would still work if dried off and properly cleaned, though. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing and cartridge games?

52 Comments to EarthBound in a Hurricane

Poe said on Nov. 4, 2012

Flood water has lots of nasty stuff in it, though. I honestly wouldn’t want to keep anything that’s been submerged in the stuff.

Starmyster04 said on Nov. 4, 2012

if this is any indication how tough snes cartridges are then the game could still possibly work! and she uses earthbound music in the background (just realized). u should see how tough nes games are though, woah.

resetsurvivor said on Nov. 4, 2012

I don’t know. If the game has a battery it could have shorted out some things like the ICs. Also being popped in the SNES probably didn’t help.

nintendofreak said on Nov. 4, 2012

my town did even get hit hard, just hard thunderstorms,
but the feeeeels man

i feel them

Mato said on Nov. 4, 2012

resetsurvivor: That’s a good point, I hadn’t considered the battery aspect.

LakituAl said on Nov. 4, 2012

Well, when I still lived in Mexico, my house was prone to flooding due to harsh weather and bad architecture… Needless to say, my N64 got submerged many many many times. Still worked like a charm. Same goes for the NES.

Poe said on Nov. 4, 2012

Did you take your consoles apart to dry them out or just let them dry on their own?

Robo85 said on Nov. 4, 2012

Earthbound will be fine, I’m more worried about that Super Mario RPG there.

Pigmask Private said on Nov. 4, 2012

All this does is bring back painful memories of trying to get my games to work after Hurricane Katrina put six feet of mud and water in my house back in ’05.

Water’s bad enough. Salt water is worse. Salt water and mud is a mixture that magically causes everything to stop working. It’s a mixture that ruins childhoods and eats dreams.

LakituAl said on Nov. 4, 2012

@Poe I let them dry by themselves… which, thinking about it, is a terrible idea, they must have had mud inside after the incident.

FZ64 said on Nov. 4, 2012

shame… both smrpg and EB two of the best RPGs ever

GBASP Blue said on Nov. 4, 2012

The feels man…The feels…

GBASP Blue said on Nov. 4, 2012

why..*sob*

AdelinaX said on Nov. 4, 2012

wow, just a very tiny amount of water on my original psx caused it to successfully boot only about 1/10th of the time.

MrNessEagleofOnett said on Nov. 4, 2012

NOOOOO!!! Those beautiful cartridges!!!

gotaname said on Nov. 4, 2012

manlier tears have never been shed like this before.

Kyle said on Nov. 4, 2012

Super Mario RPG and EarthBound are my two favorites! WHY?! 🙁

Pigmask Private said on Nov. 4, 2012

bahooney said on Nov. 4, 2012

That sucks so bad, up in Western MA, we were so lucky. Anytime a horrible storm happens, I always remember that poor Australian guy who had loads of vintage Game & Watches destroyed in a natural disaster. Count your blessings every day, guys.

Gilbert Smith said on Nov. 4, 2012

“Guy’s you’re focusing on about $220 worth of video games while the person’s home suffered thousands of dollars worth of damage.”

True, but “Guy’s house destroyed” isn’t really Earthbound-relevant news.

Actually, it’s not news at ALL in the wake of a hurricane.

Derik Flensburg said on Nov. 4, 2012

Really? Should we be crying about game carts when people DIED?

spaanoft said on Nov. 4, 2012

I’d imagine the battery doesn’t have enough juice to really fry any major circuits, though the a short would probably kill the battery itself.

Anyone know what kind of voltage/current SNES cart batteries can put out of if shorted?

Pigmask Private said on Nov. 4, 2012

Why are you crying about game carts when COLUMBINE HAPPENED

ALSO HITLER

emobook101 said on Nov. 4, 2012

is the guy ok?

Ness PK Rocks said on Nov. 4, 2012

anyone else care about Donkey Kong?!?!?

Anon said on Nov. 4, 2012

Sobbed until 9gag was announced. Made me care less.

Anonymous said on Nov. 4, 2012

pretty sure the 9gag thing was a joke seeing as this was floating around on /v/, anon

RandomGuardian said on Nov. 4, 2012

Is… Is it dead?

Prince Mercury said on Nov. 4, 2012

Not Donkey Konga NOOOOO

Corey said on Nov. 4, 2012

I think I’m going to sell my copy soon. I don’t want to sell it, but someone could steal it, a natural disaster could claim it, etc. I’ve had mine since I was about 16 so it’s more sentimental value than anything else…who am I kidding, I have to hold onto it!

MrKoopan said on Nov. 5, 2012

I like how people are complaining that we don’t show any care towards the person’s house, REALLY?! if we got sad over every lost house or even life, then we would be forever sad, if anything this lightens the mood about this disaster

gazpacho146 said on Nov. 5, 2012

Yikes. (This is just a hunch, but..) Maybe since it was plugged into the SNES, maybe it blocked out some of the more major damage. It might not have, since water would leak through, but meh.

BusterTheFox said on Nov. 5, 2012

I see the Super Mario RPG JUST enough into the drink to know that it’s probably not gonna work anymore. I am sad to see it go. Also, Donkey Konga. The game’s not hard to find, but if they lost the bongo controller…

Poor Earthbound. From what I’ve seen, it’s been known to be one of the less resilient SNES carts. Here’s hoping it still works, but I doubt they have an SNES to test it on anymore. Who knows, maybe it’ll still work. I have a perfectly working Pokémon Blue version that went through the washer and dryer. The old save file was even intact! But, who could know…

Youkai said on Nov. 5, 2012

When I saw this, I winced. And to see Super Mario RPG floating next to it made the pain worse.

Alixi said on Nov. 5, 2012

Ga-game? Why aren’t you working did-no. Just, nooooo!

Earthbounder said on Nov. 5, 2012

Im not trying to be mean and all. But why was this guy idiotic enough to leave earthbound. If he was gonna take something it SHOULD have been earthbound… Oh well, i guess hes just gonna sell it on ebay saying it works when it doesnt. *sigh*

LucasPSI said on Nov. 5, 2012

He probably only cared about the games he plays most. If it was me in that situation and I had to pick between 2 games, one being earthbound, the other being call of duty black ops, I would easily choose call of duty.

…Can’t really say the game for Mother 3 though…

KyoZaber said on Nov. 6, 2012

Both games are classic enough I’d try saving them, as well as the system.

While they may not work at the moment, it’d be worth my time (once all other severe matters are attended to) to carefully begin cleaning out both the system and the games.

Best of luck to the owner. 🙂

Christie said on Nov. 6, 2012

Ouch. I feel like I just got punched in the gut after seeing that picture.

wyatt8740 said on Nov. 6, 2012

Open it with a security bit or needlenose pliers. Then, replace the internal battery. If that is done, it should work fine. I dropped a copy of NES Zelda II in a lake (long story). While the battery was killed, I let it sit in the air with the casing off of the PCB to let water evaporate, and one new CR2025 later, I was playing Zelda II again. SNES carts are remarkably similar. I would not be suprised if it still worked. BE SURE TO USE COMPRESSED AIR TO BLOW ANY DIRT PARTICLES FROM THE PCB FIRST.

jinxkatty7 said on Nov. 9, 2012

Sandy, YOU TOOK IT TO FAR. Geez.

Matteomax said on Nov. 9, 2012

Dang.. I wish I could have gotten that..

I live in Brick, an area that got hit, but not badly.

That’s right, I’m back!

StarmanFan said on Nov. 10, 2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EarthBound dond´t die

Pokey Means Buisness said on Nov. 10, 2012

At least SMRPG tried to save Earthbound… ;3;

PSIcicle said on Nov. 10, 2012

Noo! Curse you, flood water!!

Furball200x said on Nov. 11, 2012

Poor Donkey Konga…

Matteomax said on Nov. 13, 2012

PK FREEZE! *pries games from frozen water*

zen said on Nov. 14, 2012

i had a zelda cart on the gba once and i spilt root beer on it and it still works i just cant touch the cart while its in the gba on….but hurricane water has nasty bacteria and dangerous toxins in it. if you are as lucky as i am i should still work

Eclebright said on Nov. 14, 2012

OH MY JEEZ! Forget Earthbound, is that Donkey Konga!?

Stealthborn said on Nov. 22, 2012

I can feel the pain in this. I remember looking at a photo that involved video game valuables as well (only this one involved a Neo Geo AES. Think about that for a moment…)

But to get back to reality here, hopefully everyone affected by the hurricane is getting back to normal soon if they haven’t already.

Pkstarfox said on Dec. 2, 2012

Funny story guys, I was actually playing earthbound when a tree fell on the power lines outside my house and sparks exploded everywhere! (my poor snes :[ )

Evil Eye Σ said on Dec. 17, 2013

Surge protectors are nice for power lines. You can make your SNES surge proof. I feel bad for people who got water damage though.

Find Merchandise!