MOTHER 1 in Piano Concert CD
So by now you know that EarthBound has various layers of copy protection, one of which is that it will spawn lots of enemies throughout the game. Years ago, a cheat code was created that allows players to experience the game with just this one aspect activated – see here.
Well, MCsq2 recently tried playing through the game with this code on and reported the results:
I’ve only played up till the Dept. Store Spook, but noticed some very interesting things along my way of playing…
- After beating Frank, the Sharks disappear, but a huge flock of Spiteful Crows take its place.
- Enemy spawn rates, especially in Twoson and Peaceful Rest Valley, are increased to a ridiculous degree – it took me over 20 tries just to cross Peaceful Rest Valley. =.=
- After beating Mr. Carpainter, the Insane Cultists remain, but their out-of-battle sprites turn green.
- The cave that leads to Paula’s cabin seems to spawn Insane Cultists it seems. This persists even after Mr. Carpainter is defeated. Oddly enough, the ones in the cave retain their blue out-of-battle sprites.
- Although mentioned on the site, I’ve personally never seen a Mad Duck in Saturn Valley in any of my playthroughs. But for some reason the game decides to spawn one nearly every time when I enter Saturn Valley.
- For some reason, in most dungeons the spawn rate is only very slightly more frequent (or in some cases, the same) from the original game. This is very noticeable in the gold mine with the 5 moles. Perhaps monsters were only meant to spawn in certain quantities in these areas?
- The enemies from the Fourside Dept. Store appear before the blackout, and remain after the blackout.
Now, here’s a very interesting glitch I’ve just encountered at the Dept. Store Spook… the screenshots show this nicely, but I thought it was pretty cool. (The game actually froze the first time I tried to enter the area )
The Spiteful Crows that appeared in there had very messed up backgrounds, possibly because it wasn’t meant to appear there. They fought in groups of threes.
Not sure why there were Ness sprites all over the room. When I touched one, it gave me a boss battle swirl and it even changed color depending on my position at the time! For obvious reasons, these “battles” gave me 0 xp each. When I purposely got a red swirl on these things (they only run from you, by the way), the game froze. Interesting, eh?
Anyone else played through the game with this cheat code? If so, noticed anything else that felt odd?
EDIT: Apparently this code also causes after-zombie Threed to freeze… as I learned when trying to reach the crashed Sky Runner.
This is really interesting info, and it sounds like there might’ve been a few other parts in the game that would’ve locked the game up, not just the final battle with Giygas. Someday I’d love to play through EarthBound with this code on to see all the weird stuff for myself.
You can check out the original forum post with these findings here. And if you try playing through this crazy version of the game, share your results too!
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to EarthBound Crazy Enemies Playthrough
Featured Item on eBay:
- Leeaux: This is cool. Man it must have taken forever for him to do all these though. Geez! Bless you Tomato! This is all I have while I wait on...
- KingOfSwords: The Memories civer looks beautiful ;.;
- BoaTransistor: I got the Memories cover this year. In my factual opinion, it is the best-looking EarthBound cover they’ve released yet.
- Globulous: I picked up the Memories cover and planner while I was in Japan, it should be interesting to note that the pocket on the back of the...
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...