Random Post:

Cool MOTHER 3 Medley

November 10th, 2012 | Misc., MOTHER 1+2, Q&A, Smash Bros.

Currently my main computer and 99% of all my possessions are now being moved across the country, which makes it a bit harder to do EB Central updates. So, for the next week or so I thought I might do some question and answer-type updates to tide us over for a while.

Basically, if you have any questions about EarthBound, MOTHER 3, MOTHER 1, EB Central, or whatever else, let me know in the comments and I’ll post the questions and answers in the next day’s update!

For now, here are a couple recent questions I’ve received:

Hello, i’m Santigo Casale and i very love the traslation patch. :D

I know this topic has been discussed a lot, but could you make the translation of Mother 2 (And if you can, restore the soundtrack of the game)please? :)

I actually still think about this a lot – I really enjoy ROM hacking, ROM translating, AND EarthBound, so it’s a very appealing project to me and it’d be great to have all the GBA games translated into English and given consistent translation treatments. Seriously, just looking back at this old page makes me want to work on the game…

The only problem is that it’d take a LOT of time, maybe about as much as the MOTHER 3 translation project did, and that was pretty rough. I covered the reason why it’d be a hard project a while back here.

If I had a lot more free time I’d totally consider it. Instead, I’d rather focus my little free time on creating new things. But hope is not lost! Someone IS attempting a translation of the MOTHER 2 portion here!

As for the music side of things, I honestly have no idea how to edit/change the music. I know it’s been done with the Final Fantasy ports on the GBA, but i don’t know how it was done at all.

I don’t have any e-mails handy to quote about this but I often get asked about when an updated MOTHER 1+2 patch will get released. The issue there is that there’s apparently a bug with the Bonus Swoosh/Groucho enemy but I just can’t get it to happen for me no matter how hard I try. If anyone can give me tips on how to make this bug happen reliably then I’ll get working on an updated patch. More info here.

I also get asked a lot about what I think will be in the upcoming Smash Bros. games. I honestly haven’t been keeping up with new Nintendo stuff so all I know (or the last I heard) was that there were going to be two new Smash Bros. games? Pretty much anyone’s guess is better than mine. I’m finding myself to not be very interested in the 3DS or Wii U at all, so I feel like I’m getting more and more out of the loop.

Surprisingly, a somewhat regular question I get is something like:

Wait, doesn’t Mother 2 use an octopus statue and a weird doll statue? Why does Mother 3 have the American pencil statue and eraser statue? Did the creators use the American stuff for whatever reason?

Actually, we were the ones who changed those statues for the English MOTHER 3 patch:

As you can see, the original Japanese MOTHER 3 still used the octopus statue and doll statue.

Anyway, that’s all for now – if you want to ask any questions about the MOTHER/EarthBound games, this site, or whatever else, post them in the comments and I’ll get to them in the next update!

27 Comments to EarthBound Central Q&A #1

Apple Kid said on Nov. 10, 2012

I have a question (that is unlikely to have an answer) why are most of the items in presents? Wouldn’t chests in like in Dallam make more sense for some parts of the game? Or maybe a picnic bag/box for food items? Thanks in advance.

Magicxgame said on Nov. 10, 2012

Okay, I’ll bite. Here’s a couple of Mother 3 questions:

1) The response for the Mother 3 fan translation seems to be overwhelmingly positive, and it’s the standard I compare all other fan translations to. However, have you received any criticism about the translation? What specific areas do you personally feel were lacking?

2) I’ve been following your Legends of Localization, and in a recent EBCentral post, you say that you’re interested in doing something similar for Mother 3. Assuming you get all the legal issues worked out, when would we plan on seeing it? Would it be one of the first ones you worked on, or would it be further down the pipeline? I’d love to see a LoL-type writeup for Mother 3.

gwalms said on Nov. 10, 2012

Why isn’t Kumatora’s name Leonita?

Esper said on Nov. 10, 2012

Are there any other RPGs or games deserving of a translation unrelated to MOTHER that you hope you can translate someday?

Also I might as well take this opportunity to say that I highly appreciate all of the hard work you do. I love the translations you’ve worked on, I love this blog, and I love the insights on localization that you’ve shared over the years. It’s a lot and I feel enlightened on the subject of what it is to be a translator.

So thanks!

JamesBond007 said on Nov. 10, 2012

In Mother 3 (fan translation 1.1), the game slows down for few seconds after entering all names. Does this happen in 1.0?

TheZunar123 said on Nov. 10, 2012

Wow Mato, thanks for mentioning our project! I do have thing to mention: The link takes you to the sixth page of the topic when my partner and I are talking about stuff. Might it be better to change it to link you to the first page, where all the information and recent patch is?

NorthofOnett said on Nov. 10, 2012

I have to say, I would love to see the Mother 2 side fully translated. It’d be so awesome playing EarthBound on the go, and then I wouldn’t have a need for my SNES cartridge!
(who am I kidding; I’d still keep it :P)
But if I ever needed to sell my Super Nintendo and games, for whatever reason, it’d be nice if I had a backup of EarthBound so I don’t have to use an emulator (flash carts rock). I’m glad Zunar is working on a translation, though!

TheZunar123 said on Nov. 10, 2012

It’s still going to be a long time before we finish due to the colossal amount of text in the game (probably at least a year or so, depending on how fast our translator gets us lines and how fast we can insert them). Speaking of which, it would nice if we could get more people to help translate. We’ve had two people join us to translate the game but then quit without actually translating anything. Now we’re down to only one, RadicOmega.

Hukky said on Nov. 10, 2012

@JamesBond007 Yes, that was in the readme.

Chewy said on Nov. 10, 2012

Loooove that Pencil/Eraser change in MOTHER 3~ <3

Rhyselinn said on Nov. 10, 2012

Okay, I have a question.

I know a lot of the names in Mother 3 were localized- Yokuba, Yoshi-Koshi, Tamekichi, etc. Yet several of the names were left alone for the translation- Hinawa (because that’s the name everyone knew her by already), Kumatora (because her name was mentioned in Brawl), etc. Yet, Murasaki forest seems to have kept its original name (as far as I know?). Was that name in English in the original or something like that? Teri forest became Sunshine Forest, but what was the story behind Murasaki? (and while I’m here, were Caeribe Falls and Chupichupyoi Temple the same names, respectively, in the original? I still have no idea how to pronounce them.)

PSIcicle said on Nov. 10, 2012

Do you think there is still a possibility of Mother 3 being released in the U.S.?

BusterTheFox said on Nov. 10, 2012

I just wanna mention, there’s certain flash card for the DS called the Supercard DSTwo. This thing has a processor in it, so it has enough power to emulate GBA games (although the battery drains like no tomorrow…). When playing Mother 3, that naming screen slowdown doesn’t happen. Although Sound Battles are messed up since it has the usual emulator problem of lagging just a bit from button press to registering in-game. Otherwise, it seems like it doesn’t slow down at all. I’ll try recording a (low-quality) video of it sometime to demonstrate.

Now that I have that out of the way, it may not be directly Mother-related, but I sometimes wonder what you did to learn Japanese. For instance, was it a college course, or did you use something else, like that Rosetta Stone program? I would probably be better off emailing you about that one. :p I don’t have any Mother-related questions right now, really…

Sword-of-Kings said on Nov. 10, 2012

I’d rather see a re-translation of the Super Famicom version of Mother 2. The 1+2 version has a smaller resolution and poor audio quality.

Mr. Tenda said on Nov. 10, 2012

Do you have an opinion on why Giygas is focused on attacking Ness in Mother 2 instead of Ninten? Since Giygas specifically vows to take revenge upon Ninten at the end of Mother, it seems strange that Giygas’ goal is to destroy Ness in Mother 2 and no mention is made of Ninten.

Anonymous said on Nov. 10, 2012

If an official Mother 4 was made today, would you expect it to be Japan only once more?

I ask this because of all the talk to make a new Mother game, I think it’d be a toss up of whether or not NA would get it.

WheatThinEthan said on Nov. 10, 2012

If a new official Mother 4 were to be made today, would you expect it to be Japan only again?

Bob0mb said on Nov. 10, 2012

What made you guys enjoy the earthbound series (yes I am meaning all of you who made this blog if possible)

Santiago Casale said on Nov. 10, 2012

Thanks for answering my question!
I hope they can continue with the project of translating the game to the 100%! ;D

angryeyebrows17 said on Nov. 10, 2012

I personally would love a “fixed” version of EarthBound for SNES that repairs the translation mistakes and censorship covered in the Mother 2 vs. EB section. I’d love to play EarthBound over again in a form more closely to how it was originally meant to be played. I have no desire to play the inferior GBA version… crappy res and music… barf.

Tourist said on Nov. 10, 2012

I have a question. I’ve been playing through Mother 3 recently and I was wondering what’s the purpose of the rooftop area you can access in Chimera Labs. I think you enter it from the storage room with the old magazines.
Unless you revisit it at some point, I don’t think there’s ever any NPCs, events, or enemies there (unless I missed them)

step said on Nov. 11, 2012

This isn’t a huge issue, but there’s an issue with Mother 3 that causes Duster to only use one sound clip when regularly attacking enemies. I saw a topic about this and it was concluded that it would not be fixed in the translation. I find it really annoying, and I can’t find a fix. What was the team’s reasoning for leaving it in there? And do you think a fix could be made?

Mariomaster2011 said on Nov. 11, 2012

Would Nintendo of Japan or America ever remake Mother 1, 2, and 3 on to one disk or cartridge like they did with Mother 1 + 2 and also every body knows Mother 2/ Earthbound isn’t on the Virtual Console in America but what about Mother 1/Earthbound zero?

joe said on Nov. 11, 2012

i dont want to be another annoying fan, but i just hope ninten will be in smash bros 4.

TheZunar123 said on Nov. 11, 2012

@angryeyebrows17 I did have speculation one time on whether to do that or not. It would certainly take less effort, since we have such good tools for it. Heck, that could probably be even a little side thing I could do, since it’s pretty much just replacing text. I wonder if I should do that.

M1Fan said on Nov. 12, 2012

Zunar I cant wait until the full translations out. But I can’t find the link to the current verson.
Please help.

TheZunar123 said on Nov. 12, 2012

Click my name. It’ll take you to the EBC topic, which has the most recent version.