November 27th, 2012 | Itoi

Shigesato Itoi recently posted a tweet that everyone’s talking about. Here’s a quick translation:

All you people who play MOTHER, thank you. I really appreciate it. People of Starmen.Net too… thank you very much. I hear all sorts of enjoyable rumors (about you). SENTIMENTAL

That’s the rough translation but I think it gets the point across. I’m not really sure why he posted it all of a sudden – I’m pretty sure almost no one at Starmen.Net knew about the recent live MOTHER 2 concert on his site, but any thanks are good thanks :P

He’s been continuing to tweet about MOTHER stuff too:

Oh man. Reading all these MOTHER-related tweets is keeping me from starting work. I’m reminded of all sorts of stuff now, like “A Beatles song Noterday”, the “Ropesnake” and “Fly Honey”.

Oh, this is your dad. Don’t you think it’s time to stop talking about MOTHER and hit the hay?

Yes: I see. Be sure to take a leak before you go to sleep. You don’t want to wet the bed.

No: You’re no spring chicken yourself anymore, you know.

It sounds like he’s going to briefly touch on some MOTHER stuff in his next daily post on his site too, so I’m sure I’ll update about that as well.

It’s always nice whenever Itoi is suddenly reminded of the MOTHER games. And it’s great to see him acknowledging foreign fans more and more lately :D

32 Comments to Another Message from Itoi

MrSaturn03 said on Nov. 27, 2012

This just turned my bad day good.
I love Itoi. <3

Poe said on Nov. 27, 2012

Itoi-san! Please give us more notice the next time you do one of these live concerts. :)

Miles of SmashWiki said on Nov. 27, 2012

It’s always exciting to see Itoi reminiscing like this.

HpBoost said on Nov. 27, 2012

Very cute. :D

EEEEEEEEEE-toy said on Nov. 27, 2012

I wonder if Itoi truly knows the impact of his game over here in North America… people have gotten married because of this game. MARRIED!!?!?! Yikes. I wonder if he’s ever seen the flukes section on starmen.net lol

Picky said on Nov. 27, 2012

The Mother series was clearly a labor of love for him, and it’s great when he reminisces about the game because then we get stuff like the Mother concert last night. Just hope this doesn’t spark any sequel talk.

Leeaux said on Nov. 27, 2012

I always enjoy when he thinks fondly back on Mother related things. I would think its those types of thoughts that lead to him finishing Mother 3. The optimistic in me would like to think that if many of those thoughts occurred he would think of remaking his older games, or possibly create another sequel but the realist in me kinda knows he’s finished with them.

Still, I’ll always hope.

MrKoopan said on Nov. 27, 2012

that’s really nice, it’s almost as if all of this stuff from starmen.net and everything he hears about Mother in america just makes him go completely soft…at least that’s how I always see it

but it would be cool to have a sequel, or a virtual console release for the games, but I’d rather him remake them, for everyone who never had a chance to play the original games, or the fan translations, and put them on a new console, like the 3ds or the wii U..but that would almost be like selling out all of his hard work

I’m rambling, this is cool though :)

Justin said on Nov. 27, 2012

Oh, how badly I want to know what these rumours are…

Chewy said on Nov. 27, 2012

I don’t think he meant rumor like an actual rumor, I think he meant “I’ve heard things.”
But I’m really excited to see that tweet! Can’t believe he linked, too. Total surprise. Really really hope he’s going to start listening to us soon!

Mato said on Nov. 27, 2012

I think you’re a big part of the reason he remembers us Chewy :D

LucasPSI said on Nov. 27, 2012

hm… and Nintendo just talked about Mother 3 coming to noth America. I wonder if this is A sign! ;)

Earthbounder said on Nov. 27, 2012

Heh. I guess that Mother 2 Live Concert that was held brightened him up to Mother again. :D

Chewy said on Nov. 27, 2012

Between that and his conversation with Iwata, I’m very pleased to see he’s actually starting to talk about us now. Total optimism booster. Also continues to baffle me that he’s talking about us now and not after he was supposed to have gotten our PK Siege box. D:

Mato said on Nov. 27, 2012

It’s probably just a time zone difference… or in this case a year zone difference :P

EarthBoundfanman said on Nov. 27, 2012

I really hope this is a sign. Either way it’s just great that Itois mentioning starmen.net

Apple Kid said on Nov. 27, 2012

@LucasPSI I haven’t heard anything like that. I personally think Nintendo has made their position clear: it hasn’t happened, nothing is being done to make it happen, it’s never happening. But, in relation to the topic, it is rare for Mr.Itoi to address the mother games… it is probably just one of those rare instances it happens. My best guess is as good as yours, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the Mother 2 concert just baffled him. I mean, just think, 18 years ago (Roughly when Mother 2 was released) you made a game, and its legacy lives on still today. He just wanted to thank the ones who made it possible.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Nov. 28, 2012

Mother 2′s (or in this case, EarthBound’s) legacy still lives on today because it’s a drastic departure from other entries in its genre. A deconstruction, if you will…

I think I’d be proud if I ever got to make a game like EarthBound that is still enjoyed by people even today.

(I felt like writing some stuff here about how EarthBound is this and that compared to others, but I have no ideas. Maybe another day, then?)

MOTHERBOUND said on Nov. 28, 2012

Mr.Itoi.. please make MOTHER 4 and release it to america… i’m a visitor far far away from indonesia

Anonymous said on Nov. 28, 2012

Itoi, you’re my father…LOVE UUUU!!♥

Earthbounder said on Nov. 28, 2012

Mr Mato, I bet ur really happy to hear the a ” thank you” from the man himself. As a huge fan of mother I also wanted to thank you for everything u have done for the series. I love mother 3 as much as I do earthbound and Its because of you and the people at starmen.net that I got to play and love the game. I understand that was not an easy task of translating the game, therefore I really hope u get much more than a thanks for ur work.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Nov. 28, 2012

@LucasPSI, I think this has already been discussed:

That isn’t a sign that Mother 3 is coming stateside. We have an excellent fan translation anyways, so…

Burglin Pork said on Nov. 28, 2012

I thought the “Noterday” gag was added by the English translators.

Nintendork said on Nov. 28, 2012

Being pessimistic stinks, (ironically just like EarthBound!) so I’m just gonna let myself get a tad bit hopeful. I don’t think it will never happen, but I do think it will take a bit to do anything with the series. But maybe our wait is just about over…?

Mato said on Nov. 29, 2012

Yeah, his tweet had the “Iiedi Girl of the Alps” joke but no one here would catch that so I used the English localization version in this post.

John H. said on Nov. 29, 2012

Awww.

Of all the JRPGs I used to enjoy, now, only Earthbound and (to a lesser extent) Mother 3 are still interesting to me. It’s because they’re some of the few that actually seem to want to be about something more than what they are, but that also have the skill to pull it off rather than sounding like a kid who was introduced to philosophy too early.

HEY YOU GUYS TWO HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW WHO ARE READING THIS. I KNOW YOU’RE OUT THERE: this is the JRPG worth preserving. This will tell you more about the age and the people living in it than any number of Final Fantasy sequels. This is the one you might possibly still *want to play*. Take my word for it.

Batman said on Nov. 30, 2012

I’m Batman.

Sam said on Dec. 4, 2012

That last comment wins.

Adam said on Dec. 20, 2012

Am I’m really the only one here who knows about the Mother 2 Live concert.

[...] [...]

Ness said on Jan. 13, 2014

I still have hope that the series will continue.