EarthBound’s Marketing $2 Million?
About five years ago, I helped organize the PK Siege Japan thing with the other Starmen.Net guys. I’ve already gone over details about it before, so I won’t rehash them here. But I was cleaning out old stuff from closets recently and stumbled upon this relic:
This was the cost of shipping the entire gigantic PK Siege Japan package to Japan!
The reason it cost so much was because our contact at the King of Games in Japan let us know that there was going to be a party to celebrate the release of some new MOTHER 3 t-shirts or some other MOTHER-related thing they made, I forget. Hirokazu Tanaka was going to be there, and Itoi had been sent an invitation too but it wasn’t clear if he was going to be able to attend or not. Lots of other people involved in the games were invited too, I think.
But the party was going to be in just a few days, so we had to ramp everything up to turbo speed and then have everything shipped super-fast to the King of Games in Japan. That, plus the size of the packages resulted in the crazy shipping prices above:
Actually, it cost like $1500 to have the books professionally translated into Japanese, hundreds of dollars to have the books priority printed up, and lots more money for all the other things we included too. So in the end, the whole thing wound up costing thousands of dollars. Which was only possible thanks to everyone who donated back then. So thanks again to everyone who helped!
Off the top of my head I do recall the King of Games guy saying that Tanaka was super-impressed, and they even played the DVD we included during the event. I think they got a kick out of the EarthBound Saga episodes I had subbed into Japanese, which you can see here if you’re interested:
- EarthBound Saga ep. 1 Japanese subbed
- EarthBound Saga ep. 2 Japanese subbed
- EarthBound Saga ep. 3 Japanese subbed
I don’t know if Itoi’s ever seen them, but I hope he has.
Okay, well, I better end this now before I wind up rehashing everything yet again 😛
Other Related Posts:
3 Comments to PK Siege Japan Shipping
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...
- StarmanAlex: JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY
- adex: “Mother2fan” is just some perverted eurocreep who thinks females should be subjected to the naked male form whenever the...