October 22nd, 2012 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

You know how Paula gets kidnapped at the Fourside Dept. Store? Well, what happens if Paula is the only one who’s alive in your party at the time? Here’s how the game handles it:

I feel like if I programmed the game I would forget to handle cases like that, which would result in weird bugs. In fact, I think there’s actually a line in EarthBound where such a missed situation results in a blank text box.

Anyway, if you like messing with the Fourside Dept. Store, there’s also this method of leaving the store without triggering the kidnapping.

10 Comments to Paula, the Sole Survivor

Satsy said on Oct. 22, 2012

Huh. Makes sense, that. It wouldn’t really make sense if Ness/Jeff were suddenly alive once she’s kidnapped after all.

blahmoomoo said on Oct. 22, 2012

^ Or it would be unfair if Paula got kidnapped and you get an instant game over because nobody else in the party is alive.

Furball200x said on Oct. 22, 2012

Would a similar event happen if Poo was the only living member in your party when he goes back to Dalaam before Ness, Paula, and Jeff meet Dungeon Man?

Mato said on Oct. 22, 2012

I think everyone gets healed up just before the star master guy appears in that scene, so I think he’d be brought back to life.

(smile, smile) said on Oct. 22, 2012

@Furball – yeah Mato is right. I remember because I used two Cups of Lifenoodles right before walking outside of the Pyramid, then Poo’s master healed everyone. >___>

Apple Kid said on Oct. 22, 2012

What if Paula was dead? Would the same thing happen?

TheNessEB said on Oct. 23, 2012

I… I… I… I made the front page? I think I’m going faint. Must breath… Must breath…

Esper said on Oct. 23, 2012

Yeah the same thing happens if she’s dead.

vid said on Oct. 24, 2012

As it turns out, the mouse displays that same text if ANYONE in your party is dead. Additionally, if you do it the opposite way with Paula dead and everyone else alive, she still doesn’t get kidnapped… they don’t try to take the ghost version or anything like that.

jinxkatty7 said on Oct. 28, 2012

I thought you would of got a game over… Now I feel like messing around with games again. xD