Random Post:

EarthBound Script Dump

October 4th, 2012 | EarthBound, Merchandise, MOTHER 1

While flipping through the Fangamer MOTHER 3 handbook the other day, I was like, “Man, I wish there were more guides like this.” So that got me wondering what other games would be a good fit for the Fangamer handbook treatment.

I’ve actually been thinking of pitching a MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero guide for a while, but then again that’s not quite as popular among fans, so I dunno if that’d work. But maybe a guide could help fix that a little bit. Of course, there’s always the idea for a MOTHER 2/EarthBound guide which could be full of all the cool stuff we’ve found/learned about the game over the past 17 years. But it’d still be hard to top the official guide and its smelliness. Or heck, maybe some other series entirely, or some other game that never got an official translation.

Anyway, I’m honestly curious to know what you guys think – if you have any other ideas/suggestions, let me know. And although EB Central is mostly unaffiliated with Fangamer, maybe the results will help them gauge interest!

64 Comments to Other MOTHER Handbooks

Satsy said on Oct. 4, 2012

You wouldn’t be the first to suggest a Mother 1 guide, and I’d love to do that as well. It’s something I’d be eager to get involved with if ever it happened.

Max said on Oct. 4, 2012

I would pay a lot for either of these. I have been meaning to play through the Mother 1 translation (played through the prototype years ago), and I would love to use the guide as I play it just like I did when I was 10 with the original Earthbound!

Yorkshire Gold said on Oct. 4, 2012

Personally I’d be interested in a Mother 1 guide, if only because reading the translated parts of the Japanese guide was a rather intriguing experience in seeing how guidebooks could work around the limitations of early games. As in, making them into something ‘more’ by giving you all these little background details and anecdotes not featured in the game itself.

It’s kinda hard to think of anything else though… I guess maybe because the handbook style of guide really demands a certain type of game packed with secrets and stuff and easily-overlooked things, and I can’t think of anything that’s ever received an unofficial translation that really fits the bill. Maybe something like the Soul Blazer series, perhaps?

Poe said on Oct. 4, 2012

Hand-drawn maps for all areas of Mother, including Duncan’s Factory and Holy Loly Mountain. Need dat.

Hiro said on Oct. 4, 2012

Personally if they made a mother 1 players guide i’d prefer it to be if and when the finally release the fan remake of mother 1. as for other games maybe super mario rpg or megaman legends or 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors, but i could see that guide being a nightmare to make.

NorthofOnett said on Oct. 4, 2012

A Mother 1 guide would be awesome! iirc, someone on the forums actually began working on one, but never got past Podunk. It looked pretty cool though! It’d be great if Fangamer could finish the job 😀

EarthBoundfanman said on Oct. 4, 2012

A EB Zero and Mother 2/Earthbound guide is a great idea. I’d buy them.

KingDarian said on Oct. 4, 2012

I’ve wanted Fangamer to work on another Handbook since the MOTHER 3 Handbook wrapped up. While one for MOTHER would be awesome, I’d first like to see one for EarthBound. It would give many folks a much cheaper alternative to the crazy prices of the official guide on eBay these days, plus it would be filled with all kinds of crazy and useful info.

Hitoshi said on Oct. 4, 2012

I’d absolutely LOVE to see a MOTHER guide! I actually pitched the idea on Starmen a while back and tried to get supporters but I guess since I don’t have much rep people didn’t take me seriously. =(

Anywho, I’d love to be of help. I have a long history of writing skills and I’m adamant about one day having all the series’ guides in English. Other games I could think of…

For the Frog the Bell Tolls

Energy Breaker

Secret of Mana 2

Conglomerate of PK hacks guide (Hallow’s End, Bozobound, Radiation’s, Bass Fishing etc.)

The PK Hack guide seems like a daunting task, but I honestly think it’d be cool to see a fanmade guide for fanmade games. =) Especially with the love and dedication involved with the hacks the guides would be an appropriate and amazing feat.

Earthbounder said on Oct. 4, 2012

No matter how much i like mother 2 better.
Mother 1 would be the better choice… 😛 It doesnt enough love, even with it being the start of mother itself.

nintendofreak said on Oct. 4, 2012

god YES
i would love to see a mother guide,
hell id love to see a mother 2 guide

A MOTHER TRILOGY GUIDE

SuperTrainStationH said on Oct. 4, 2012

It would be great if you did this for Pokémon Black and White, in part because several areas of Unova, like Castelia City, Nacrene City and Pinwheel forest are based on parts of New York City and it would be great fodder for having “real photographs” to use taht would perfectly match places seen in the game.

you can see some of the similarities here

ZeroGravix said on Oct. 4, 2012

I would really like to see this done.

Reficul said on Oct. 4, 2012

I think the ideas for the unofficial-official guides for Mother 1 and 2 would be pretty boss, honestly, but I like the idea of other games getting their own guides. One Hitoshi brought up that would be neat is For the Frog the Bell Tolls. Another neat one could be Holy Umbrella: Dondera’s Wild!!

Skulryk said on Oct. 4, 2012

I’d love to see a guide like this for Chrono Trigger, and possibly other SNES classics. It’s not an obscure game, but I don’t think it has to be. I’d love a guide of Fangamer quality with great art and jokes and stories. I know there’s probably some nasty licensing fights there, but Chrono Trigger seems to be a good game for the ‘perfect guide’ treatment.

Vanasto said on Oct. 4, 2012

+1 for 聖剣伝説3/Secret of Mana 2. Also, it’d be cool to see this done for Breath of Fire II (the fan retranslation, of course).

Rhyselinn said on Oct. 4, 2012

Okay, the Chrono Trigger guide idea is fantastic. That would be 1. freaking awesome, because Chrono Trigger is an awesome game and 2. super helpful, because there are so many things that are easy to miss or mess up in Chrono Trigger. A section detailing how to get all the extra endings, for example, would be amazing. And another one detailing obscure side quests and trivia facts, and another one to help keep the freakin’ timeline straight. (if you plant the sapling here, it causes ___ and ___ to happen, resulting in ____), etc. So much potential!

I would love a Mother 1 guide as well- the game has frequent Guide Dang It moments, and a guide to help with them would be a life- well, game-saver.

I would also love a PK Hack guide, only because I’m playing Radiation’s Halloween hack and I know I could definitely use it right now.

Lillie Joe said on Oct. 4, 2012

A Mother 1 guide would be amazing!!

cerealqueen said on Oct. 4, 2012

If it had fun tidbits and was illustrated like the Mother 3 Handbook, I would definitely buy it.
The Handbook itself added charm to the game 🙂

Leeaux said on Oct. 4, 2012

I would love a guide on Earthbound Zero, to finish off the collection. I don’t think an Earthbound one would be needed though. A guide for Earthbound Zero though with the quality and fun of the Mother 3 Handbook would be awesome!

mass1997 said on Oct. 4, 2012

That would be sooo cool!

kenisu said on Oct. 4, 2012

EarthBound Zero/MOTHER Handbook! Yes!

But I suppose you were expecting me to say that anyway.

What I’d love to see is a handbook with little bits of artwork depicting different scenes from the game, like the MOTHER Complete Surefire Strategy Book has — but only if I got to do the illustrations!

Burglin Pork said on Oct. 4, 2012

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door!

TheNessEB said on Oct. 4, 2012

I say get experience making the Mother 2 handbook, than using your knowledge of making Mother 2 and Mother 3 handbooks, make a super awesome handbook for Mother 1 so it can get the treatment it deserves.

Aeon said on Oct. 4, 2012

A Mother 1 handbook would go nicely with the Fan remake that’s currently going on.

MaskedMan said on Oct. 4, 2012

They should definitely make an earthbound one

Christian said on Oct. 4, 2012

I would say mother 1 since their is 2 mother 1 remakes.

Hypotenuse Man said on Oct. 4, 2012

I would kill for a Fangamer-quality Robopon 2 guide.

WoottWinds said on Oct. 4, 2012

I know I’d kill for a Fangamer made MOTHER 1 or EarthBound guide. Would make me so happy to have a whole set of awesome-quality guides for the series.

As for other games, I think the “Fangamer style” would fit Super Mario RPG really well, even though it already had an official guide made way back. And while it’s very recent, Ni no Kuni for the DS isn’t looking to get localized and I’d personally love to see a guide for the DS version. Also I’d lay down ANY amount of money for a great-quality Grandia guide, the original one sucked and it’s such an amazing RPG.

Other games: Ys SEVEN (or any Ys game – maybe talk to XSEED?), Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Half-Minute Hero, Survival Kids, Shantae, Drill Dozer, LoZ – Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Wild Arms series, Suikoden series, and/or the Lunar series.

boundin zero said on Oct. 4, 2012

wow i would LOVE the idea of a chrono trigger guide AND a mother/earthbound zero guide

that and a NEW earthbound/mother 2 guide

Stevesesy said on Oct. 4, 2012

I would love to see it and I think if they Kickstarted the project, they would get more than enough money.

Anonymous said on Oct. 4, 2012

RomaSaGa 2 (along with a fantranslation of it, pls)

Alex said on Oct. 5, 2012

I’d totally buy a new EB/M2 guide, easily!

Gilbert Smith said on Oct. 5, 2012

When Mother 1’s remake is finished, I think that’s when it needs a guide.

You know what’d be an interesting one? Yume Nikki. You could package it as a dream journal and split the proceeds with the game’s creator. That game really needs a guide, too, and it would be so much more fun to refer to a hardbound dream diary than a FAQ.

Gilbert Smith said on Oct. 5, 2012

It could also turn a whole new crowd onto the game: Earthbound fans, seriously, play Yume Nikki. It’s like if Moonside were inescapable, that’s the feeling the game has.

Kurtzblaster said on Oct. 5, 2012

oh man i tell you, a mother/earthbound zero guide would be a must have

you dont know how many times i have gotten lost on what to do in that game

that and continuing files and have no idea where you are (cuz its that type of game where you can play it days in a row, get frustrated, put it down for a while, and then pick up again)

OM said on Oct. 5, 2012

I know it’s probably not really fangamer’s sort of thing, but… a sort of ‘town guide’-style thing for the silent hill series would be nice. One that incorporated the recent games as well.

skyrunner14 said on Oct. 5, 2012

If a Mother guidebook was made, I would TOTALLY buy it. The first Mother is actually my favorite in the series, so having a guide with the same quality as the Mother 3 Handbook… that’d be fantastic.

Shihan42 said on Oct. 5, 2012

I would love to see an Earthbound Zero guide. It was the game I started the series with.

KickTheBucket said on Oct. 5, 2012

A Link to the Past or a remake of the original Earthbound/Mother 2 Guide 🙂

Earth Saturn said on Oct. 5, 2012

I would totally buy a fanmade EarthBound Zero and EarthBound guide as soon as it came out. It’d be awesome to own guides of all 3 Mother games. I sure hope Fangamer considers it…

Pipo said on Oct. 5, 2012

Do one for Overblood

EvanOgre said on Oct. 5, 2012

I’m another who’d buy a Mother 1 guide from you guys… Ya, know, the VERY SECOND it is released!

(And ‘For Frog The Bell Tolls’ too for that matter)

The Mother 3 handbook is fantastic, much better than most official strategy guides, I’m all over a Mother 1 guide of even half the quality of that thing!

Ninten said on Oct. 5, 2012

I say Mother 1/Earthbound Zero because then we can have the mother trilogy in english and have all three guides in english.

LucasTizma said on Oct. 6, 2012

God, yes please!

E101B said on Oct. 6, 2012

Creating a guide for EarthBound Zero would be a great way to generate more interest in the game. One of the reasons people are so turned off by it is the difficulty curve and not really knowing where to go or what to do half of the time. Sure, they could use an online guide, but that would require a computer next to them the whole time, while a physical guide from Fangamer would be nice and convenient.

AdelinaX said on Oct. 6, 2012

Yeah, a fan-made player’s guide is going to generate interest in a 23-year-old game wrought with confusing, poorly written dialogue and technical constraints that all but destroy any game play enjoyment.

Hitoshi said on Oct. 6, 2012

I didn’t even consider a remake/replica of the Earthbound guide, that would be awesome too. Or maybe a set of guides for MOTHER and MOTHER 2/Earthbound even? Or something kinda like the MOTHER 1+2 Perfect Guide I got from Japan would be awesome too.

Earthbounder said on Oct. 6, 2012

I would buy both!!!!! It would be awsome if both were made

Gilbert Smith said on Oct. 6, 2012

Jeez, you ask the community to get imaginative and all they want is an Earthbound guide like many of them already have, lol.

Derik Flensburg said on Oct. 6, 2012

Skies of Arcadia

ATMB said on Oct. 7, 2012

Consider my copy already preordered!

Poopboy said on Oct. 8, 2012

An Earthbound Zero guide would be amazing.

David B. said on Oct. 9, 2012

A fan-made guide book for the Mother 1 and 2? That would be a pretty good idea since copies of the official EarthBound guide are pretty pricy…

Big Nose said on Oct. 9, 2012

Can you tell me what the Mother 3 handbook includes? I’m planning on buying it.

Big Nose said on Oct. 9, 2012

And where will the stuff that i order arrive? Does it came straight at my home? I’m very new to ordering online.

Mato said on Oct. 9, 2012

Info on what’s included in the handbook is here: http://handbook.fangamer.com/

They’ll ship it to whatever address you tell them to ship it to (or whatever address is associated with your payment method, usually your home).

Matt said on Oct. 12, 2012

Chrono Trigger!

neonix said on Oct. 18, 2012

I would definitely LOVE to see a Fangamer Guide for Chrono Trigger. That would be sexy.

joe said on Oct. 26, 2012

maybe a handbook for mother 4 when it gets released?
[some of you are like “WOAH ITOIS MAKING MOTHER 4!?”, well, a fangame studio called azure studios is making it. its gonna be awesome!]

Matthew55 said on Dec. 31, 2012

I have played through Earthbound Zero more than Earthbound or mother 3. Earthbound zero has a charm that always brings me back. I would love to see an Earthbound zero Guide!

ピョーン said on Jan. 1, 2013

Ah yes english mother guide, very very awesome. I hope for release maybe one day, yes?

Ryuka リュカ said on Jan. 12, 2013

I WOULD LOVE THIS! i wish i could help make it though but i am really not good at rpgs i have only been able to beat mother 3 actually and i am not the best at drawing soo but i hope you make this!

Full Clip IV said on Jul. 26, 2013

I would purchase an Earthbound Zero handbook!