October 12th, 2012 | EarthBound

I don’t know if I’ve shared this before, but if you want a real blast from the past, here’s the official MOTHER 2 page on Nintendo’s Japanese site:

I don’t even think Nintendo of America has its old original pages up anymore, so I don’t know what the EarthBound pages/site they had would’ve looked like. Oh well.

13 Comments to Official MOTHER 2 Site

Craigs0r said on Oct. 12, 2012

Weird. None of my browsers can parse the characters on this page despite being able to on every other Japanese site.

JamesBond007 said on Oct. 12, 2012

Even if American and European websites for older games are dead for years, Japanese ones still exists. That’s the case for many games, not only EarthBound/Mother 2.

Hendricks266 said on Oct. 12, 2012

Craigs0r: The site uses Shift_JIS encoding, an earlier standard predating Unicode.

YAOMTC said on Oct. 12, 2012

The earliest result on Archive.org’s Wayback Machine for Nintendo.com is this:

Just seems to be for Nintendo Power.

XeviousM said on Oct. 12, 2012

Apparently Nintendo of America had a website as early as 1994, but Archive.org only goes back to 1996…

Ninten said on Oct. 12, 2012

I wish I could read the text on the site. 🙁

Kyle said on Oct. 12, 2012

The encoding for the text on the website is Shift-JIS, not unicode. Just use the view menu in your browser and change the text/character encoding to Shift JIS and it should work. 🙂

Giygas999 said on Oct. 13, 2012

YAOMTC is right, use wayback.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Oct. 13, 2012

This page is *really* outdated by today’s standards. But damn if it was 1994, when the Intern…I mean, World Wide Web was basically a bunch of text here and there.

Jason said on Oct. 14, 2012

Gotta love the low res JPEGs of the early internet. And the next/previous game buttons. Were there really so few games that you could feasibly just scroll through ’em?

Radiostorm said on Oct. 15, 2012

There’s a certain charm to old websites like this. Nintendo was probably really proud of having an image with a transparent background. Technology!

Anonymous said on Oct. 17, 2012

I find old websites like this to be immensely fascinating for some reason, in spite of their contents being little more than glorified brochures. I found the old Fire Emblem 3 and 4 ones a while ago (and 5, but that actually had something resembling content); I can’t believe I didn’t think to look for the MOTHER 2 one.

Niroga said on Oct. 19, 2012

I’ll be cool to do something with this images sometime, not just Mother 2. I just remembered Satellawiel.