October 13th, 2012 | EarthBound, Fan Games

Trying to learn to type Japanese text on QWERTY keyboards can be tricky, so there are lots of games out there to teach Japanese people how to do it. I recently ran across a fan-made MOTHER 2-themed typing game called something like “Gyiyg’ Strikes Back Again”, check it out here!

The story is that after Ness defeated Giygas, Giygas’ spirit still remained. Since Giygas was originally gentle-hearted, Ness feels the need to go save him now. So Robot Ness goes back to try to save Giygas.

To play, you basically type the English letters and dashes you see below the Japanese text when an enemy flies up. If you get it in time, you’ll defeat the enemy and possibly heal yourself too. I don’t know how many stages there are, I got up to Giygas (stage 3 I think) but while taking the above screenshot I died, heh.

Anyway, it’s a neat little diversion and might help you get the hang of how Japanese text is entered using an English/QWERTY keyboard, if you’re just starting to learn the language.

11 Comments to MOTHER 2 Giygas Typing Game

Gooptek said on Oct. 13, 2012

It seems very cool…
I may try it someday. Looks well-made. :)

EBrent said on Oct. 13, 2012

Wow. That would have been useful when I was starting out. Not that there was a lack of resources back then.

It’s a little unforgiving, though. I tend to type “S-H-A” for しゃ and the like, “F-U” for ふ, “N-’” for ん, and “X-*” for the small characters (rather than “L-*”).  It doesn’t seem to like that.

LakituAl said on Oct. 13, 2012

First, Mario teaches typing, and then Pokemon do so too. Anybody else wanna teach typing?

*Giygas raises hand*

Oh, OK. Go ahead, then…

Tayo said on Oct. 13, 2012

My goodness, this is actually pretty difficult, and I type in Japanese all the time… I only got to Porky.

Anonymous said on Oct. 13, 2012

I stuffed up in round two which was starman and then I gave up );

M1Fan said on Oct. 13, 2012

I stuffed up in round 2 which was starmen and then I gave up );

XavandSo said on Oct. 13, 2012

Cool. I only got upto Starman…. Whoa those letters were long.

BTW: Does anyone know where to get that Battle Against a Machine music in the battle against Starman from? I partly lost because I was groovin’ out too much.

SomeUser said on Oct. 14, 2012

it’s kinda like an okay Typing of The Dead
personally I don’t like it since it does some weird romanization stuff (くぃ is kuli? ふぉ being fulo if you accidentally type fu)
i somehow killed myself during a cutscene mashing keys so i don’t know if it does that sya or tu or dzu or whatever

gwalms said on Oct. 14, 2012

What about Dvorak keyboards? haha

Giygas said on Oct. 17, 2012

It looks like the greatest game ever made!

FlyingManCourage said on Apr. 15, 2013

When’s the fan translation come out? :)