Takara Tomy Mother 2 Gyiyg no Gyakushuu Phone Strap Figure Poo

October 11th, 2012 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, MOTHER 3

Amish Chipmunk recently put together a collection of ringtones for phones that MOTHER series fans might like:

In this archive are a number of ringtones and text (SMS) tones. As they currently are, they’re intended for the iPhone. Assuming you have the current version of iOS on your iPhone, installing them should be as easy as unpacking the archive, opening the files in iTunes, then dropping them on to your iPhone.

However, they’re still in fine condition if you don’t use an iPhone. All the files are in .m4r format, so if your phone can use that, you’re good to go. If your phone can’t handle that format, .m4r is really .m4a [that is to say, AAC encoding], so just change the file extension to .m4a, open in your favorite audio editor, and export in whatever format you prefer.

Changes to original source material are extremely minimal. Some silence has been added to starts and ends so that the tones won’t be chopped prematurely (an issue with many players, such as iPhones), and selections have been shortened for long pieces.

Happy ringing!

Ringtones:

• “Bus!”, Earthbound, remixed by Shadow– (original source)
  • “Main Title Theme”, Earthbound
  • “Misplaced Revenge”, Mother 3

Text (SMS) Tones:

• “Attack 1″, Earthbound
  • “Item Get 1″, Earthbound
  • “Item Get 2″, Earthbound
  • “Main Title Theme” [Severely shortened], Earthbound
  • “Okdesuka”, Earthbound
  • “Skyrunner”, Earthbound

And here’s the file containing them all:

I don’t have an iPhone or anything even close to the capabilities of modern phones, so I can’t try this out. So lemme know what you guys think!

15 Comments to MOTHER 2 & 3 Ringtones

Pigmask Private said on Oct. 11, 2012

Putting these on my iPhone now.

Alex said on Oct. 11, 2012

These are excellent! And going right on my phone.

Way to go Amish Chipmunk!

Dave said on Oct. 11, 2012

I have a Verizon flip phone from 2006 that can play MP3 ringtones. If I wanted to put these on that phone, I’d just convert them to MP3 format, then email them to myself at tendigitnumber@vzwpix.com. And there are generally other methods that would work for other phones and carriers. What I’m getting at is that you’ve got to have a pretty ancient phone if it really doesn’t support custom ringtones. :)

Mato said on Oct. 11, 2012

Nope, it doesn’t even support MP3s. I managed to get a few MIDIs on it back when I got it (2003/2004) but it doesn’t have download capabilities anymore.

Dave said on Oct. 11, 2012

Ah, you do have a truly ancient phone! Fortunately, I also posted that little tip just in case it was actually useful to anyone else checking out the comments.

shadowdeku said on Oct. 11, 2012

My phone is also pretty ancient, but I was able to get some Mother 3 soundtrack items on my phone just before its SD card slot broke (and the better-sounding Mother 3 soundtrack came out). Now, whenever I get a message, it sounds like I opened an item box. My family gets a kick out of it.

PK Rockin said on Oct. 11, 2012

How can I get these files to play on my computer?

edgethelucas said on Oct. 11, 2012

I have a samsung galaxy phone, and I don’t even know how to install these files on my phone. Do I just drag and drop? Can someone help?

NorthofOnett said on Oct. 11, 2012

Heh, I still use this ringtone, since I was the one who made it :P

Halloween said on Oct. 11, 2012

My cellphone also cannot network with the outside world :(

Google Nexus S said on Oct. 11, 2012

Android here. Simply change the file extension to .m4a (honestly, if they are “really .m4a” files, what kind of person went and gave them the wrong name anyway?) then copy them to [storage]/media/audio/notifications and [storage]/media/audio/ringtones, as desired.

Example: /storage/sdcard0/media/audio/notifications/

The files will then show up under System settings→Sound→Phone ringtone, or Default notification.

Paladin356 said on Oct. 11, 2012

I have a few text tones from EarthBound. My current one is the PSI sound. I’ll have to find aw ay to put them on here.

Anon said on Oct. 11, 2012

Nice! The only thing that’s missing is Fassad’s ringtone.

SamWibatt said on Oct. 14, 2012

Cool! Always happy to see this kind of thing, getting people’s phones to spread the joy about Earthbound and all.

I run a Droid, and the sound effect files available from Starmen.net work fine on it as ringtones (follow instructions given by Google Nexus S above). I have already been using the Mother 2 item get sound as a SMS tone!

Hirayuki said on Nov. 23, 2012

My Droid Incredible plays the Ultimate-Chimera-noticing-you sound when I get mail (it’s terrifying), the Sky Runner ping for other notifications, and Porky’s Porkies as the default ringtone. I adore them all.