Ultimate Chimera Hoodie!
NorthofOnett recently sent this question in:
So I just started playing Mother again, and I realized that the lamp and doll both have sprites before you enter the battle. Now I know they’re essential to the story, but there is another lamp in one of the rooms that isn’t necessarily mandatory to fight. However, there’s still an overworld sprite for it.
So my question is: Is Mother capable of having overworld sprites throughout the game, just like Mother 2? It’d make things a lot easier for newcomers to the series if they didn’t have to deal with random encounters. Or would doing this require too much memory for the game, making it impossible?
Honestly, I think it would be very possible – there are plenty of NES/Famicom games that have expansive maps with lots of enemies to encounter on them. Games like Zelda, Crystalis, Blaster Master come to mind. I think it was just the norm back then to have random encounters – it’s a lot easier to program and everyone else was doing it.
So I think it’d definitely be possible for MOTHER/EarthBound Zero to have overworld enemy sprites. Implementing it might be tough, and making sprites for all the enemies and finding spare ROM space for said graphics might make it even tougher/more expensive. This was actually one of the big reasons I started my EarthBound Zero remake hack project so long ago – being able to see enemies on-screen.
Anyway, I’d actually be interested in seeing this sort of thing added to either the MOTHER 1+2 port or the original games themselves. It’d definitely be a lot easier to add this functionality to the MOTHER 1+2 port, but you’d also need lots of GBA assembly programming knowledge. If I were a millionaire with free time on my hands it sounds like a fun challenge I’d love to try.
…Anyone got a million dollars? 😛
Other Related Posts:
11 Comments to EarthBound Zero Overworld Enemies
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...