October 6th, 2012 | EarthBound, Hacking, Videos

A common complaint among EarthBound players (particularly newer ones) is that it takes too long to walk places in the game. Basically, people wish there was a way to dash like in MOTHER 3. The Skip Sandwich items are there, but they’re a pain to use and only work for a few seconds.

Well, a while back Flynman made a small patch for EarthBound that addresses this very problem! With this patch, you can now run anytime you want just by holding the Y button 😀 Here’s HyperBound talking about it:

And here’s the actual IPS file and the Easy EarthBound Patcher program for Windows:

(Note that if you don’t use the Easy Patcher for whatever reason, you NEED to expand the EarthBound ROM. Just trying to use the IPS patch by itself will probably cause the game to not start up at all. If you use the Easy Patcher, it’ll take care of that stuff for you.)

Personally, I’ve never had a problem with the walking speed in EarthBound. Everyone’s always in a rush these days in games 😛 Although in MOTHER 1’s case I can sort of sympathize a little…

16 Comments to EarthBound Run Patch

Mikage-kun said on Oct. 6, 2012

I’ll agree that the inability to run and the slow speed at which you can move can be a pain. However, I will point out this is sort of cheating. The reason skip sandwiches only worked a short while is they made it easier to get away from unwanted battles since battles are from contact with on-screen enemies you otherwise can’t outrun.

Still, I applaud such an enhancement. Not tried the patch yet, but one thing that might make it more “fair” is if your running speed is still slower than when using a skip sandwich. And that even makes me wonder if running + skip sandwich makes you move faster than Sonic the Hedgehog. 😉

man said on Oct. 6, 2012

I never had an issue with the walking speed since the overworld isn’t stupidly sized so it doesn’t take years to get anywhere.

PepsiMax said on Oct. 6, 2012

Eh. There are so many patches for Earthbound nowadays, you might as well use GameGenie. Half of the new fans that say they’ve “beat” Earthbound are probably using heavily patched ROMs. This could be useful though for veterans who know where to go already, so it’s just a matter of getting there; I suppose if you’ve explored the game frequently enough, there’s no point in taking time if you don’t want to. I typically avoid the skip sandwiches all together. They don’t replenish much HP, they don’t last long, and they take up room in your inventory for an otherwise more useful item.

TheZunar123 said on Oct. 6, 2012

It’s probably better to use KyleRXZero’s Run Button Relocation patch, as it moves the coding for the run button to n area of the rom where it’s less likely to mess things up (particularly in hacks). You can find it here:

platinatina said on Oct. 6, 2012

pepsimax I…. what…. are you talking about….

I mean yeah there are a ton of hacks and patches for EB but that’s honestly more geared towards the /veteran/ players, not the people who are new to it and decided to try a hack for the first time. who would do that? like who honestly thinks of playing a game, and before beating it first, immediately goes to the hacking section to patch their ROM first. where did you even get that idea??? O_o

like alright, I can understand someone wanting Mother 1 in particular having a friend that says to them “oh, you should download the Easy Patch”. I’ve seen that happen a lot of times. and it’s understandable because people can get easily turned off by the difficulty. but never before have I heard or seen a case where someone is like “oh EB is too hard, let me patch the hell out of your game”. (it’s not even that hard in the first place but whatever)

LakituAl said on Oct. 6, 2012

To be honest, I don’t think this does it for me. I think part of Earthbound‘s charm is in the walking pace. For me, this is the one I wanna play when I wanna take my time, while Mother 3 is a game I play when I wanna be able to play and save quickly. (And Mother when I feel like grinding a lot ;))

Also, I do think it compensates with the fact it’s the only one of the three games with a reasonable Teleport mechanic.

September said on Oct. 6, 2012

Most of the time, I don’t mind the walking speed in EB, to be honest. It’s perfect for that game, like “man” said a few comments above, the overworld isn’t THAT big, so it doesn’t take forever to walk around. But as for MOTHER, oh god – I would love this kind of a patch for that game!

Halloween said on Oct. 6, 2012

I think the areas in Earthbound are small enough where you don’t need to run, but this sounds like a fun patch for someone who wants to explore a lot quicker.

RandomGuardian said on Oct. 6, 2012

Although running would be nice for dungeons, most of the overworld would just seem so rushed. I mean in Mother 3 it’s mostly point A to B stuff, like Stonehenge or the Underworld but in Earthbound walking around felt so fitting with whole suburban/urban themes. Half the game just felt like it needed the walking pace to appreciate it.

P.S. I never knew there was a such thing as an Eartbound eliteist but I guess PepsiMax fits the bill.

PepsiMax said on Oct. 6, 2012

You’d be surprised how many people are quick to download a ROM and go crazy with making things easier for themselves.

NessandDora's backpack said on Oct. 7, 2012

@platinatina ….what…are…you..talking about?? Earthbound is not hard?? You try playing Earthbound, and having the hardest thing in the game for you being that you’re right before the boss, and you don’t want to fight him because you know it means the end of the game of the end. THATS HARD.

gwalms said on Oct. 7, 2012

To differentiate from the skip sandwich and make it so you can’t just use run to avoid enemies, couldn’t you make the run button speed up both you and enemies?

Tourist said on Oct. 7, 2012

It’s been about 10 years since I got to play Earthbound and recently I had the chance to play through it again and I returned the bicycle to PUNK SURE almost immediately after renting it. It was just more enjoyable walking around leisurely… exploring every corner, chatting every NPC, and just enjoying the rockin’ town music. Seems like a game perfectly designed without a dash button.

Anonymous said on Oct. 7, 2012

You people just got ADD! 😀
I never really had a problem with the game. (and I’m one who actually did suffer from ADHD as a kid)
I think the earliest RPGs to have a run feature were FF5 and 6, and those actually had a use since there were timed parts. (I recall the collapsing house in FF6. You definitely had to run from random battles to finish in time if you didn’t use the dash feature. I’m not sure if you could fight battles and still finish in time with dashing.)

Now FF7, on the other hand… Cloud’s walking speed was really slow. Good they included a run button but should’ve had an option to auto-run.
StarGazers is another that comes to mind.
As well as Hydlide 3/Super Hydlide (though that may have had a gameplay reason: to keep you from buying better armor too early. At least I assume you gain stat points later on to be able to wear good armor and move at a decent speed. If not, then that’s really terrible.)

Ninten said on Mar. 1, 2013

Does this work with the New Game+ patch?

I’m new to this, so…

Please help me!

pokedart9001 said on Mar. 2, 2013

ok guys, just a quick overview of how this works:

-runs as fast as skip sandwich

-works with new game +

-doesn’t mess up the game at all (for me, anyway; using ZSNES Mac)

i hope this clears things up for new users

p.s. just tried out the hack; in case of an emergency, back up the original file before patching; worked fine the first time for me, but do it anyway.