MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*

October 2nd, 2012 | Auctions, EarthBound

Once every month I update the EarthBound price info on buyearthbound.com so fans can get good deals and avoid getting suckered out of spending too much money. Here are the latest prices!

Average Prices:

• EarthBound cart: $169 (up from $156, lowest: $110 / highest: $235)
  • EarthBound guide: $81 (up from $62, only one that sold: $81)
  • EarthBound complete set: $624 (up from $572, lowest: $350.01 / highest: $1025)

It’s slowly getting closer and closer to the holiday season, which usually means prices will probably continue to go up from here. I remember just a few years ago when EarthBound carts could be had for $70… Man, and I thought it was expensive back then! But now we have broken copies of EarthBound selling for $91 😯

Another trend I’ve noticed is that guides and complete sets are starting to diminish in number. I’m guessing people are either hoarding them or some people are trying to take the guides and make a complete or semi-complete set. Only one guide was sold by itself in the past month, so the “average” price this month is just the price of that one guide. I contemplated not even including it in this month’s update because of that, but figured it would be helpful info to have anyway.

Feedback

The other day I got a tweet from someone who said:

Here is an idea for your earthbound buying guide. If we can get people to refuse to pay such a high, it will start to diminish.

I’d considered including this back when I first made the buying guide, but it seemed like an odd thing to include. What do you think? Would this really be that effective? I would think that you’d need to get LOTS of people on board with that idea, which I can’t really see happening. It also makes me wonder if someone would then snatch up all the copies and sit on them.

I’m not an economics/business guy though, so if anyone has any insight, please share!

All that aside, you can find lots of tips and info on buying EarthBound at buyearthbound.com, so check it out if you’re planning to buy any EarthBound stuff in the near future – you could save lots of money!

16 Comments to EarthBound Price Update (Oct 2012)

NorthofOnett said on Oct. 2, 2012

It’d be really nice to get a player’s guide to accompany my cartridge. But I want it for the content, not to complete a set. And that’s what PDFs are for 😀

cool_boy_mew said on Oct. 2, 2012

To be honest I doubt not buying them would change much. I’m pretty sure you’ve searched for other games on Ebay in the past to only see the same dumb guy trying to sell his overpriced sealed game. It won’t change.

TyBlood said on Oct. 2, 2012

This is why I bought Mother 2 instead.
I still think there should be a mother 2 section or a buymother2.com might help some people.

NorthofOnett said on Oct. 2, 2012

lol why
Mother 2 is dirt cheap and easy to find

deshayzilla said on Oct. 2, 2012

I was the guy who sent the tweet. Demand has a significant impact on price, but so does buying. On Ebay the buyer actually has the ability to control the price. I’ve been trying to buy my first copy and I wont bid higher than 130, If someone outbids me then I let them have it. I’m not going to get into a bidding war, it drives up the price. If we can get enough people to think like this, it can decrease the price significantly, maybe get the price back to normal levels. It’s obvious the supply is out there of the game. If you change the demand you’ll change the price.

Halloween said on Oct. 2, 2012

Haha I’ve been refusing to pay the high price for a while now.

6arm79 said on Oct. 2, 2012

Yeah, I remember when it was like $50-60 a cart, back around the time Brawl came out. At the time I didn’t own SNES compatible hardware, but I bought an FC Twin last summer, and now I’m interested in buying it. But now it’s so expensive that it seems like I might as well shell out the cash to get an original SNES too just for the authentic experience. Honestly I would be dissappointed if I couldn’t get one for $80 or less shipped, but that may not happen again this year. I actually saw one that went for $65 with only 1 bid in early September, not sure why it wasn’t mentioned here.

I agree completely with deshayzilla. I think there are basically three kinds of people looking for EB:

1. There are the collectors who are willing to pay as much as they need to for this game

2. There are people who just want to play the game, and who aren’t willing to pay insane amounts,

3. And then there the people who are misled to believe that this game is rare, and are juped into paying the insane pricetag.

I believe that we can get the #2 group to convince the #3 group that they have been misled and are paying too much for this game. If you look at Ebay reviews of this game you will notice that 4 out of 5 reviews tote the rarity of this title. The larger Ebay community is convinced of this. But the 1 review out of the 5 speaks sense, stating that the game is not rare and is not worth what people are paying for it, even though it is a great game, it isn’t necessarily the “BEST SNES RPG!!!!!”

So, when you buy this game online, right a review, and speak the truth! But be gentle and reasonable about it so that you will be heard.

This game is somewhat uncommon but it isn’t hard to find. How can it be rare when there are quite a few copies of the game that go unsold every week, even for average prices? If it was that rare and the demand was that high they would all get snatched up regardless.

The supply is really more than enough for all the collectors, new fans to the game, and the fans who have been with EB all along. It’s just been unnaturally inflated because of a misleading belief. I believe if people believe it’s not worth what they’ve been paying for it, they’ll stop the crazy bidding wars. If some people decide to snatch them all up, then we’ll just refuse to buy them from them for high prices! It’s that simple.

Plus, since there probably aren’t going to be any new Mother games, I’m guessing Ness and Lucas won’t appear in the next Smash Bros. Which means, there won’t be as many newbies interested in the game, and the demand could forseeably decrease. The hype could go down.

Anyway, sorry for being long-winded, and thanks for listening to me!

BusterTheFox said on Oct. 3, 2012

@6arm78: I totally agree with what you’re saying. But I hope you’re wrong about Ness and Lucas in the mext Smash Bros. Lucas is my main character! D: Besides, Ness has been a mainstay in Smash Bros. since the original release. So far, they haven’t removed any original fighters. But anyway, that’s going a bit too far off-topic. 🙂

But yeah, I think it’s impossible to convince enough people not to pay crazy prices. There will always be that one person who doesn’t know and who will pay that much, and sellers know that. As long as your game isn’t priced a hundred bucks over the next cheapest Buy It Now, somebody who doesn’t know how common it is will buy it. I doubt it would make a difference, from what I learned in my high school Economics class.

6arm79 said on Oct. 3, 2012

@BusterTheFox

You’re probably right about Smash Bros. I haven’t followed the series that long. I just wonder what Nintendo is going to do with Mother. Maybe they’ll re-release some of the games in Japan.

Yet another example of the law of supply and demand being innacurate!

Apple Kid said on Oct. 3, 2012

Personally, I want to make profit off of my cart, but I’m not going to take advantage of these people like other sellers. I’m going to keep my cart until it is rare and sell it during holiday season at a reasonable price (for a rare game) to make sure it sells. I’ll say in about 5 years a cart only will be rarer but will still have to much hype. This problem won’t go away until batteries start to die and people who are uneducated with snes carts don’t know what to do with it and throw it away (unlikely I guess)

deshayzilla said on Oct. 4, 2012

It might be hard to get everyone to agree but even if we can get people to stop bidding past a certain amount, it’ll lower the price overall.

earthbound is a Mindf*** said on Oct. 8, 2012

i plan on buying a lot of earthbound stuff. ‘Cuz i really love the game. I just have a question if you don’t mind answering: what is the best way to buy the original earthbound package? should i buy it all at the same time, or as close to that as possible?(the strategy Guide, the game, and the box) or should i buy each thing separately? Any help would be greatly appreciated(sorry this is so long)

Mato said on Oct. 8, 2012

It’s probably easiest and possibly cheapest to just get it all in one go. I don’t see the box by itself very often anymore, and when I do it goes for a few hundred dollars too.

Qiezei said on Oct. 12, 2012

I actually sold off my non-working copy (I even stated that) of the game several months ago on Ebay and the bidding went up to, amazingly, $150. I now went to try and find a decent priced copy and the carts average around $200. Ugh, looks like I’m gonna have to try and get the game on my PSP if I’m ever going to play the thing in this lifetime…

PK Some Dude said on Oct. 14, 2012

Heh, that guide that sold for $81 was mine.
And I sold my cartridge for $90, I feel stupid about that.

DevaGolgotha said on Nov. 15, 2012

Why not just use an emulator? I mean, I recently bought a cart because I’m a collector whose lost his copy, but still, for the average Joe, roms are much better…