Shigesato Itoi, Giygas, and Boobies
October 25th, 2012 | EarthBound
The other day Manny sent me this e-mail, which has an e-mail inside of it too:
A few days back, I sent NOA a message regarding Earthbound.
“For the Mother series, released in Japan, Why was Mother 2 renamed Earthbound in America? Why not Mother 2 or just Mother? What is significant about the name Earthbound?”
This is their response,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your question. I can certainly understand your interest in finding out why the series was renamed Earthbound for North America. Unfortunately I need to let you know that I’m unable to answer your question as we do not any information pertaining to why this decision may have been made. I realizing this may be disappointing as you were hoping for more information, and I appreciate your understanding.
If you have any further questions or concerns you’re welcome to contact us again.
Crystal L. Odam
Nintendo of America Inc.”
The grammar is a bit off, so I don’t understand whether they could not tell me( if it even matters?) or if they were unaware why? I mean it has to either be, NOA does not know it’s history, or they don’t want to share it. Either way, yes, I was disappointed NOA 🙁
It’s always been my experience that NOA’s reps don’t answer much unless you have a really important question/issue or have a question that relates to something really recent. Also, this rep’s repsonse almost sounds TOO wordy and robotic, like it’s Data from Star Trek talking or something, heh.
Incidentally, as we’ve looked at before, Nintendo almost called the NES game “Space Bound”. I guess since the game had so little to do with space though they changed it to Earth Bound, but then the game was canceled. And then when the SNES sequel was about to be released, they dug that name out of their attic and went with it.
Other Related Posts:
20 Comments to EarthBound and its Name
Featured Item on eBay:
EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?